Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 551398 times)

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1938 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #765 on: May 07, 2017, 05:22:04 am »

This was able to shock the discord into silence so behold!

UFS-UHB-19XX-X 'Calamity'
A super heavy bomber power by four V-16 supercharged engines the Calamity is a monster to behold. With a wing span of nearly 50 meters and armed with five guns pods armed with two 20mm autocannons each(one top, one on each side, one front and one rear). Able to carry nearly eight metric tons of bombs it uses a form of all or nothing armor with only the engines and cabin being armored. Fuel is carried in a number of small cells stopping the plane from bleeding all it's fuel if hit. The interior minus the bomb bay is fully sealed and pressurized with oxygen masks should the crew need to enter the bomb bay mid-air. It's manned by ten airmen in a number of roles.
I approve of a heavy bomber. Though, since heavy bombers don't really need to be agile, this could actually be one of Kot's floatplanes, giving us more range and freeing it of airstrips. In general being able to drop some 1000 kilo blockbusters on their factories, doing some carped bombing on other infrastructure, firebombing their sugar crop and dropping leaflets that read "El Presidente is a dork!" is a good thing in my books.

Also, here. Relevant.

EDIT; By the way, I'd also add a ventral gun turret.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 07:01:57 am by Mulisa »
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 07, 2017, 06:23:27 am »

Float planes are mostly obsoleted at this point by the carrier.

We need a dedicated torpedo bomber, a better anti-air fighter and then maybe a high altitude bomber.

The idea behind a submarine transport would be to sneak by the enemy navy so that it's full transport capacity could be used even if we were at a disadvantage.  Maybe even make it a beach lander so it can assault islands directly.

A transport plane does make more sense though at this point.

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 07, 2017, 06:30:25 am »

Float planes are mostly obsoleted at this point by the carrier.

We need a dedicated torpedo bomber, a better anti-air fighter and then maybe a high altitude bomber.

The idea behind a submarine transport would be to sneak by the enemy navy so that it's full transport capacity could be used even if we were at a disadvantage.  Maybe even make it a beach lander so it can assault islands directly.

A transport plane does make more sense though at this point.
I was replying to a suggestion about a heavy bomber. Try fitting this on a carrier. While technically possible, there is no way it's going to be able to take off or land on one.

Glory to Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 07, 2017, 06:35:01 am »

actually, that plane seems smaller than many of the proposals. No way we can put them on carriers, we have the dive bombers for that. And to a lesser degree the HF 32.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 07, 2017, 06:37:43 am »

That is a good point, maybe we should concentrate on lighter, well made aircraft for now, then upgrade a larger carrier, then make heavier planes?

Also I still think a heavy armor revision would be helpful for infantry.  If we can get something slightly more effective then the Tiger armor (really no leg armor?) that is cheap enough for our entire infantry it could really help.  Or maybe a better over all medium tank?

I am all for putting larger tank guns on like a medium tank chassis/armor and try to overwhelm them.

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 07, 2017, 06:51:50 am »

That is a good point, maybe we should concentrate on lighter, well made aircraft for now, then upgrade a larger carrier, then make heavier planes?

Also I still think a heavy armor revision would be helpful for infantry.  If we can get something slightly more effective then the Tiger armor (really no leg armor?) that is cheap enough for our entire infantry it could really help.  Or maybe a better over all medium tank?

I am all for putting larger tank guns on like a medium tank chassis/armor and try to overwhelm them.
The problem with the carrier is that for a B-17 like bomber to land on it, it'd need to be 2 kilometers long. A heavy bomber will never be carrier based. End of story. Which is why I suggested using the floatplane format for heavy bombers.

Glory to Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 07, 2017, 06:52:57 am »

Who says we need to have our heavy bombers take off form a carrier? It can easily use the runways on the northern landmass.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 07, 2017, 07:03:08 am »

As for the medium tank, with larger gun and better all over, we kind of have that: the T33.
Compared to the T2 it is faster, more armored, with bigger gun and the turn after the next it drops an expense level.

If you want to replace the T33... I suppose it can be done, but then we would design a proper heavy tank

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 07, 2017, 07:08:12 am »

One more idea

UFS-RA-19XX-X 'Eagle Eye'
Eagle Eye is an unarmed single engine monoplane designed to be launched from the Wasp Nest aircraft carrier. It's engine and airframe are optimized for fuel efficiency and high attitude flight. The plane is equipped with aerial photocamera, electric heating system and powerful radio station.

Proper reconnaissance can win some battles and our carriers badly need a way to detect enemy task forces before it is too late. It is also very useful to map targets for future bombing raids. Experience in high attitude aircraft will help with future heavy bombers.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 07, 2017, 07:12:41 am »

That is an interesting idea. While in the short term the HF-32 loaded with drop tanks can provide scouting, a good scout plane with proper equipment would have some advantages.

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 07, 2017, 07:35:44 am »

How about improving our decryption? The cannalans lately came up with a cipher to keep us from utterly trashing them in information warfare, we could keep our edge on that.

Glory to Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 07, 2017, 07:51:32 am »

It would be a powerful action.
Too powerful, in fact. last game, for a few turns all we did was develop encryption and decryption on both sides.

I odn't want this game to turn into "lets crypt our comms better" every turn.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 07, 2017, 07:55:50 am »

I don't really feel like arguing the whole battleship vs carrier again, so let's just agree to disagree.

I think going for heavy bombers is a little premature at this point, unless we start losing the northern island to a large degree. I would greatly prefer to get radar, and airborne radar, before going for those, which is at least two turns away. We should definitely get them, just not now. And Mulisa is right that any heavy bomber worthy of being called heavy will not be able to land on a carrier, so we should look into range instead. Or improving our naval invasion capability to secure a foothold first.

And I also like the Eagle Eye concept, provided you make it a two-man plane for one dedicated camera operator/radioman.

United Forenia Forever!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 07, 2017, 07:57:09 am »

A heavy bomber would be good if we win the northern landmass; we could start bombing the Cannalan homeland and their ports in particular. That should definitely help against their navy.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 07, 2017, 08:03:33 am »

An heavy transport plane should be reviseable in a bomber when needed, if we design accordingly. Performance may not be great (especially if sea plane/flying boat) but anything that can carry a few tons of ore can also carry a few tons of bombs.
And paratroopers, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 500