Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 551288 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1938 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #780 on: May 07, 2017, 08:07:26 am »

Well, it won't need a revision for the paratroopers.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 07, 2017, 08:19:35 am »

UFS-RA-19XX-X 'Eagle Eye'
Eagle Eye is an unarmed single engine monoplane that uses all the experience gained during modernization of AS-HF-24. Unlike all prior Florenian aircrafts it is designed to be launched from the Wasp Nest aircraft carrier. It's engine and airframe are optimized for low weight, fuel efficiency and high attitude flight. The plane is equipped with oxygen system, aerial photocamera, electric heating system and powerful radio station. It has a crew of two: Pilot and dedicated observer trained to operate both the camera and the radio station.

The more I think about the more I like it. It helps on all fronts. It synergies with what we designed and revised during this turn. It can be revised into a radar equipped scout later. It gives general aircraft design experience that we can use for more complex designs like our heavy bombers or huge transport planes or the next generation cheap fighter to replace Yellowjackets.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 08:22:12 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 07, 2017, 08:20:28 am »

The Albatross looks pretty good to me. I dream of something bigger, but it is probably the most realistic size. Should still be big enough for 1 TC.

And despite not being able to do so is listed in the cons, I think we could use a revision to turn it into a bomber.
Long Live United Forenia!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 07, 2017, 08:54:23 am »

Hm. I'm not sure if doing a revision would be worth it rather than designing a completely new bomber. Unless you're happy with pushing bombs out of the back you'll have to cut in bomb bay doors into the floor, which is a pretty major revision of the airframe. Along with the release mechanisms, bomb sighting, and of course the defensive weapons we'll want to put on a bomber, it may be too major for a revision.

I originally advocated for a flying boat, but upon consideration we'll obviously already control a territory and the airbases if we're using it in the cargo role, so may as well not take the performance hit for a hydrodynamic fuselage. Hence the Albatross as it stands, and its size is about that of the C-46 Commando. Cargo capacity should probably be a bit higher as the Albatross is four-engined with higher airspeed and thus lift.

And could someone add me into the Forenia channel for the Discord?

United Forenia Forever!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 07, 2017, 09:06:51 am »

And could someone add me into the Forenia channel for the Discord?
Doesn't look like Sensei or the submods are active at the moment. Once one gets on you'll be assigned to Glorious Forenia.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 07, 2017, 10:06:02 am »

Hello! Im joining this for the glory of United Forenia! I have read both the war between Arstotzka and Moskurg as well as the war between the filthy, not actually true pirates of Cannalia and the Juraki shogunate...And from reading the latter of the two, the little events where one side can get a extra research credit scare me... Anyway...

This was able to shock the discord into silence so behold!

UFS-UHB-19XX-X 'Calamity'
This gets all my yes
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 07, 2017, 11:03:18 am »

UFAF-CT-19XX-1 "Albatross"
A four-engined transport and cargo aircraft with a 32-metre wingspan, its flight characteristics are optimised for fuel endurance and payload weight. It has a pressurised interior cabin with a reinforced flooring capable of holding 8 tons of cargo, or a platoon of paratroopers, accessed mainly through a rear cargo ramp that can be lowered in flight. Four 14-cylinder radial engines turning four-bladed propellers produce the thrust necessary to get it airborne, fed by self-sealing fuel tanks that provide a measure of hardiness. It is designed to land only on Long runways with retractable landing gear. There are side ports in the fuselage for one M3 Sorraia GPMG on each side for the paratrooper transport variant, although simple pintle mounts are used instead of ball turrets to save weight.

Revised Albatross with optional weapons for the paratransport variant.

And welcome piratejoe!

United Forenia Forever!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 07, 2017, 01:01:59 pm »

You know, I think I just realized our strategy for this particular iteration.  We're adopting the Russian idea of 'weak in an area?  You don't need the best, just a lot of it.'
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 07, 2017, 01:09:11 pm »

You know, I think I just realized our strategy for this particular iteration.  We're adopting the Russian idea of 'weak in an area?  You don't need the best, just a lot of it.'
It serves well as a stopgap measure, whilst we take the time to devise more elegant extravagant weapons.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 07, 2017, 01:31:48 pm »

The Albatross needs to be able to carry armor.  Light armor, at least - being able to unload a tank or two would be super helpful.

It also needs a better name than Albatross - maybe something like Coldboy, Long Vulture, Ironside, Madstrike, Fisheater, or Legionnaire, etc.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01:36:21 pm by evictedSaint »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 07, 2017, 01:35:16 pm »

Carrying tanks might be a little difficult. And transporting armoured vehicles that light may not be the best plan since what we could transport won't have much combat value.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 07, 2017, 01:37:05 pm »

Eh, I guess I'm being greedy.  I want a transporter that also has military applications beyond "Throw troopers out the back"

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 07, 2017, 01:39:10 pm »

We were discussing the possibility of designing a light tank at some point. If the transport turns out well, we could try to design the tank to fit in it.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 07, 2017, 01:41:37 pm »

Eh, I guess I'm being greedy.  I want a transporter that also has military applications beyond "Throw troopers out the back"
We could fit a RADAR in it and use it as an airborne recon platform for naval and ground use. Don't even have to worry about altitude.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 07, 2017, 01:44:38 pm »

We were discussing the possibility of designing a light tank at some point. If the transport turns out well, we could try to design the tank to fit in it.

If we get the Air Transport, we might be able to pull it off with revising the Mat26 to be enclosed in light armor.  It did take full medium armor in order to raise the T2 Breaker to the level of 5 Ore.

Plus, we can stick a bigger engine on it since the current Mat26 is 2 Oil, and we get 3 per turn.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 500