Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 565904 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1938 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #990 on: May 09, 2017, 12:33:47 am »

We... don't really need a rocket-assisted fighter.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 09, 2017, 12:39:11 am »

We... don't really need a rocket-assisted fighter.

We don't NEED it but... do you WANT a rocket assisted fighter.  Maybe a rocket assisted torpedo bomber then?

Get in range, slam the rockets to get closer real fast then let the torpedo's go!  Then the second set of rockets to get out of range.

What about revising our carrier to be able to launch faster?

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 09, 2017, 12:44:14 am »

We don't NEED it but... do you WANT a rocket assisted fighter.  Maybe a rocket assisted torpedo bomber then?

Get in range, slam the rockets to get closer real fast then let the torpedo's go!  Then the second set of rockets to get out of range.

Do I hear carrier mounted rocket sled?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 09, 2017, 12:47:32 am »

Do I hear carrier mounted rocket sled?

N-no?  I was only thinking that.  Certainly not mumbling weird things.

But we should consider adding rocket assisted take off for our next carrier.  What can go wrong.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 09, 2017, 01:02:37 am »

N-no?  I was only thinking that.  Certainly not mumbling weird things.

But we should consider adding rocket assisted take off for our next carrier.  What can go wrong.

Well it would be a fairly simple operation, a couple of train rails, a study steel frame, and a couple of rocket boosters.
It could be fitted onto our current carriers, but it might be best utilized on a shorter ship/runway to make up for the lack of space. The planes would probably have to land elsewhere, unless there were also some kind of deck mounted braking system for the planes.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 09, 2017, 01:30:00 am »

Yeah, what you want rocket pods for is taking off for interception duty, and maybe for rapid climbing to recover your altitude after an attack from above against enemy aircraft. Torpedo attack-runs are probably not going to work, as it would increase the stress on the torpedo, but could work for recovering after a torpedo run or quickly evading fighter attacks... Dive-bombers might want it for extra armour-piercing, but that is sort-of insane?...! And they might be better off putting the rockets on their bombs instead of their wings... It is lots of fun, but perhaps not what is needed right now?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 09, 2017, 02:43:30 am »

We're not really at a point right now where we can work on projects such as these without getting immediate benefit out of it.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 09, 2017, 02:57:04 am »

Code: [Select]
Jungle-Desert Island (5): Powder Miner, Lightforger, Hibou, Madman198237, NUKE9.13
Southern Tundra Island (5): Powder Miner, Lightforger, Hibou, Madman198237, NUKE9.13
Yes, obviously. My vote is not required here, but I'm using it anyway.
Long Live United Forenia!

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 09, 2017, 04:02:55 am »

Given the Arstozkan enthusiasm for rocketry, the fact that we're not deploying any is downright criminal.

UFAF-AGR-19XX-1 "Molniya"
180 centimeters long and 130 millimeters wide, the Molniya is an unguided air-to-ground rocket carrying a 4 kilogram payload of TNT. The rocket is stabilized by small fins and powered by a solid fuel rocket motor capable of accelerating the 60 kilogram projectile to speeds in excess of 400 meters per second.

UFAF-AAR-19XX-1 "Grom"
Grom is a smaller rocket derived from the Molniya at 85 centimeters long, 120 millimeters wide and 25 kilograms in weigth, boasting only a 1 kilogram warhead in a fragmenting casing, Grom has a small propeller at the tip, running a simple mechanical distance calculator that detonates the warhead after a specific distance has been traveled.
Sensei, how hard would these be to make?
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 09, 2017, 04:17:16 am »

I think something like Nebelwerfer is a great next turn development. Our ground forces deserve some toys, too. It is nice to have a strong airforce but other branches exist, too

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: May 09, 2017, 04:27:47 am »

I think something like Nebelwerfer is a great next turn development. Our ground forces deserve some toys, too. It is nice to have a strong airforce but other branches exist, too
Fair enough, We do need to bolster our boots on the ground or we'll lose the tundra. As it happens you did have a design ready, did you not?

UFS-MRS-19XX-X Tanyusha
A simple and rugged artillery system that can be mounted on the Tiger truck and similar vehicles. Tanyusha consists of 16 launch tubes  capable to launch 125mm unguided rockets. Rockets weight around 50kg and can have various types of warheads ranging from simple HE to complex separating warheads similar to Firecracker bombs
Yes you did.

How about a 150 mm rocket with a 25 kilo warhead? Should get us about ten kilometers of range with a weight of about 200-300 kilos per rocket.
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 09, 2017, 07:01:52 am »

Assuming you mean rocket artillery and not a poison-gas delivery mechanism, I agree. Although it depends on the results of the battle report, as we will want to see what areas need the most help.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 09, 2017, 07:07:47 am »

I like the rocket artillery ideas (either Nebelwerfer or Katyusha) too, although I think RATO fighters will be too expensive to field effectively. Agree on waiting for the battle report, though.

And speaking of poison gas, didn't Juraki in the last game develop that? What happened to their poison gas? It's not listed in their (Cannalan) equipment list, which has Juraki equipment in it.

...maybe El Presidente sold the poison gas to some shady parties to get that espionage credit?

United Forenia Forever!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 09, 2017, 07:30:35 am »

And speaking of poison gas, didn't Juraki in the last game develop that? What happened to their poison gas? It's not listed in their (Cannalan) equipment list, which has Juraki equipment in it.
Cannalans will tell you that after witnessing the horror of gas warfare, they unilaterally swore off of chemical weapons.
Others might suggest that they lost the blueprints.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 09, 2017, 08:40:04 am »

They still have the gas masks and such.  I am against gas warfare for the same reasons as the last game.  We develop it, they developed it, we develop protection, they develop protection, and we just waste 2 turns.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 500