Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 551226 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale
« on: April 29, 2017, 03:43:46 pm »

Welcome, Bay 12, to the Intercontinental Arms Race Forum Game

Flag by NUKE9.13

Spoiler: Signature Ribbon (click to show/hide)

People of Forenia! All of you fought a long time for peace. Twenty five years after the New Government and the High Command, untold generations since Moskurgs and Arstotzkans began fighting. Innumerable lives lost, for the great country of United Forenia we live in today. Now, after only three short years of peace, everything we have made is threatened again. The foul pirate-nation of Cannala has shamelessly attacked our shores, for no better reason than their own greed, their own lust for wealth and power! Will you give up the freedom and prosperity which all of us, our ancestors, worked so hard for? No! Launch every ship, load every rifle, fuel every tank and plane! We must go to war!

Here, you will join the nation of United Forenia to represent the Bay 12 Forums in a war against Cannala, played by the Spacebattles Forums! However, your job is not to fight or command, but to design weapons of war!
Many of you participated in the previous Arms Race game, where there was a war between the nations of Arstotzka and Moskurg for the continent of Forenia. Ultimately, Arstotzka came close to victory, but peace negotiations revealed that the High Command of both sides were shamelessly exploiting their people. After a brief and violent rebellion, United Forenia was born, and now you will be playing as them. During the same time, there was another war between the nations of Cannala and the Juraki Shogunate over the far-away island of Turbados. Cannala won this war and conquered Turbados but it wasn't enough- now their greed has led them to attack Forenia without so much as a declaration of war. For this crime, we must destroy them, and we shall not stop until our flag flies over their capitol!

It is January, 1938, during the heat of summer in the southern hemisphere. Your task is to design weapons which will crush the Cannalans.

The game will be primarily played in this thread, but there are other means of the communication available:
The Forenian Embassy is a thread on these forums, open to players from both sides.
The Cannalan Embassy is a thread on the enemy forums, open to players from both sides.
The Arms Race Discord is an optional place where you can communicate through both text and voice, in channels open to both sides and a private channel for your faction.

The Rules:

Turns:
The game is played in turns, which are broken up into phases. During each turn you will design new technology, revise it, and assign your armies. Each turn represents one season, or three months, and there are four turns each year: Starting in Summer, then progressing to Autumn, Winter, and Spring.
The Design Phase is your biggest phase, where you design a new technology. Simply write a proposal, or vote on an existing one- you only get one design each phase. Remember to BOLD your votes for easy counting. The design with the most votes will be attempted. Then you will see the results of your design, based on a die roll and a difficulty which I assign (see difficulty, below).
The Revision Phase is your opportunity to fix problems or make changes to your existing designs. This works like the design phase, but the changes you can make are smaller (see difficulty, below). You can also attempt to reverse-engineer enemy designs, if you have gained ground in a theatre where the design which you want to reverse-engineer was fought.
The Strategy Phase is new: Unlike in previous games where your army fights on all fronts, you now only fight on two, but you get to choose which. (See map, below).
The Battle Phase is when you wait to see your Battle Report. I will write a summary of the fighting which demonstrates how effective your new technology is, and your armies will gain or lose ground. Once the battle report is posted, the turn is over and the next one begins.

Once you understand these basics, you can skim some of the other, more detailed rules.

Resources and Expense:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Map:
Team Bonuses: You will choose one of these!
Armor:
Landing Strips:
Naval Advantage:
Design Difficulty:
Credits:
Behavior: Important, Read This!

[Post continues below]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 01:30:17 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1938 (Pre-Game)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 03:44:26 pm »

Starting Equipment:
Having survived the war, you will start with access to all the equipment and technology of the Arstotzkan and Moskurg armies. In the interest of keeping your army organized, you will have to do away with the equipment which fills similar roles, and only keep what is really unique and useful. I have already taken the liberty of removing some weapons and reducing the lengths of some descriptions. You will also notice that all of the weapons are tagged [L], for Legacy, to denote that they were designed during the previous war. You will also see that many weapons which had no cost listed now do, in keeping with practices established during the Turbados game. **Expenses have not been re-calculated**
The nation of United Forenia has the following weapons and equipment: (This list was compiled by some of the Discord users before the thread went up, but you may still suggest alternatives based on the full list from the previous game)

GET READY!
Before the war properly starts, you must choose which general (and therefore, which bonus) you will use, agree upon your final equipment list from the Moskurg and Arstotzkan equipment of the last war, and most of all you have one bonus design to use before the war starts- choose wisely! Also, you will need to agree upon a national flag.

Turns List:

Pre-Game Summary
Turn 1: Summer 1938
Turn 2: Autumn 1938
Turn 3: Winter 1938
Turn 4: Spring 1938
Turn 5: Summer 1939
Turn 6: Autumn 1939
Turn 7: Winter 1939
Turn 8: Spring 1939
Turn 9: Summer 1940
Turn 10: Autumn 1940
Turn 11: Winter 1940
Turn 12: Spring 1940
Turn 13: Summer 1941
Turn 14: Autumn 1941
Turn 15: Winter 1941
Turn 16: Spring 1941
Turn 17: Summer 1942
Turn 18: Autumn 1942
Turn 19: Winter 1942
Turn 20: Spring 1942
Turn 21: Summer 1943
Turn 22: Autumn 1943
Turn 23: Winter 1943
Turn 24: Spring 1943
Turn 25: Summer 1944
Turn 26: Autumn 1944
Turn 27: Winter 1944
Turn 28: Spring 1944
Turn 29: Summer 1945
Turn 30: Autumn 1945
Turn 31: Winter 1945
Post-Battle: October, 1945
Finale
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:41:33 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 03:45:32 pm »

Legacy Equipment:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:27:57 pm by Sensei »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 03:46:00 pm »

Legacy Enemy Equipment:

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:39:28 am by Sensei »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 03:56:27 pm »

Tereshkova I feel is the general which aligns best with our planned doctrine. For those who haven't been on discord, we plan to focus on air superiority and carriers, rather than a battleship navy. Bonuses in this field would be invaluable.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 04:01:26 pm »

1: We erred when choosing the sub-machine gun. We misread the descriptions and chose the wrong one. We intended to pick the one with more flexible drum size. As such, could we change that to the MC16A?

2: I proposed a couple of flags in the old Arms Race thread. This one seemed the most popular.
Kot also had some flag ideas, which he will no doubt post.

3: We discussed what to design in the discord. I advocated for a ship, but that idea was sunk by a proposal for a torpedo. As such, allow me to present the Dolphin:

4: I agree that for our planned doctrine of air superiority, Tereshkova is the obvious choice.

5: Discord is, like, super easy to use. I really recommend joining it, for with which to join in on our top-secret strategy discussions.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:34:09 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 04:04:33 pm »

Forenia has faced greater threats than Turbados before: itself.

Tereshkova will be our general.  Air superiority is crucial, especially for an ocean-based map that will rely on aircraft carriers.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 04:07:10 pm »

+1 for Tereshkova and Dolphin Torpedo.

Air power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines Mobility, Flexibility, and Initiative. So let's bomb them all to the afterlife!
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 04:11:39 pm »

[quote = votes]
General
4 - Tereshkova: Andrea, Nuke, Evictedsaint, Happerry

Design
3 - UF-TPD-38 "Dolphin" torpedo: Nuke, Andrea, Happerry
[/quote]

Started voting counts. Please note that since it is 1938, the torpedo name should be UF-TPD-38, not UF-TPD-39

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 04:17:47 pm »

Quote from: votes
General
5 - Tereshkova: Andrea, Nuke, Evictedsaint, Happerry, Taricus

Design
4 - UF-TPD-38 "Dolphin" torpedo: Nuke, Andrea, Happerry, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 04:18:05 pm »

I presume you are still going through the equipment list to assign some costs, as I saw a few without at the time of posting?

Looking at the three bonuses, it looks like we have 1 that boosts our air combat, 1 for ground combat, and 1 for general improvement.  I think Tereshkova may be our best bet, as they have a massive naval advantage and planes would be the best counter to deal with them.  In conjunction, the torpedo would be most effective at enforcing this doctrine.  An addition to the design to list that it is made to be compatible with existing mountings may be warranted, though, to make sure we can deploy it immediately rather than needing to revise our planes.

2: I proposed a couple of flags in the old Arms Race thread. This one seemed the most popular.
Kot also had some flag ideas, which he will no doubt post.

I favor this one as a result of the stars seeming to hold the swords, meaning those can easily represent the provinces of Arstotzka and Moskurg, or alternatively the provinces fought over for most of the war, the Mountains and the Jungles.

[quote = votes]
General

Design
[ /quote ]

Started voting counts. Please note that since it is 1938, the torpedo name should be UF-TPD-38, not UF-TPD-39

Putting a space before and after the = screwed up the quote.

High Priority Edit: Sensei, I followed the link to the discord in the OP, it seems the link got screwed up by including an apostrophe on either end of the url.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:20:10 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 04:18:30 pm »

Code: [Select]
[quote=votes]votes go here[/quote]
Quote from: votes: please copy/paste as you vote
General

Design

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 04:22:02 pm »

Quote from: votes
General
6 - Tereshkova: Andrea, Nuke, Evictedsaint, Happerry, Taricus, Zanzetkuken

Design
5 - UF-TPD-38 "Dolphin" torpedo: Nuke, Andrea, Happerry, Taricus, Zanzetkuken

Also, I support changing the description to specify compatibility with our existing bomber.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 04:28:25 pm »

Alright, guys, I heard that some pirates were declaring war so I had to come back from the United States to help! especially since I'm sure now that I won't get killed

I was also going to suggest an aircraft carrier but when it was pointed out that our islands do all have airstrips I decided to agree with the Dolphin Torpedo as it is probably the more realistic initial measure. We can't stall for very long on building a navy, though, guys. We won't be able to rely purely on land-based airpower forever, especially once they start designing AA.

Given the utter importance of our air power, I will vote for Tereshkova.

I also like the Stars and Swords flag and will vote for it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:31:26 pm by Powder Miner »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 04:28:56 pm »

Why do some pieces of equipment have two [L]'s?

To clarify, I know [L] stands for "legacy", but some have "[L] [L]"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 500