Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 563396 times)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1941 (Design Phase)
« Reply #4260 on: June 23, 2017, 09:54:08 am »

Nah, if J-CATCH is to be believed, then Cannala will upgrade their helicopters (and thanks to Azzuro throwing a temper tantrum, we KNOW they know about J-CATCH).

You were the one who originally brought up J-CATCH, right? Sure you weren't "looking around for inspiration" when you found it?

United Forenia Forever!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4261 on: June 23, 2017, 09:55:27 am »

J-Catch implies guided missiles, radar and other high-tech stuff. Unless their helicopters suddenly become Apaches, I don't see them being overly problematic to our air force.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: June 23, 2017, 09:57:14 am »

Quote from: UFS-CL-41 Pattern D 'Winged Hussar' Cruiser
In response to the Forenian navy's wishes for a screening ship that doesn't die when the enemy gives it a mean look, the Cavalier class is designed to provide a much more solid screen ship that can actually handle combat without sinking. The deck is layered in two armour layers; one a a sacrificial layer to set off bombs and a second as splinter protection to keep most of the crew safe from bomb/shell shrapnel. The ship is armoured, primarily against 3" cannons to increase survivability of the ship, with increased armor in the citadel to defend against 6" cannons.  It has a torpedo belt.  Furthermore, the ship is highly compartmentalised; experience from the archer shows that the two leading causes of a 'ship kill' are flooding and an ammo explosion.  To combat flooding, a pumping system is introduced to allow for damage control parties to more effectively respond.

The Armament of the ship is all located within the citadel, the primary armament being twelve 'compensator' cannons, downsized from the overcompensator's 300mm to 150mm, in fourturrets arranged into superfiring positions at the front and back of the citadel.  These turrets all use upscaled electric traversal technology from the AS-T33, with the fore guns all controlled by two fire control systems to allow the two sets of turrets to target different enemy ships, or the same ship.  As an emergency measure, manual systems are installed so the turrets may still be turned if the electric traversal system fails.  Along with this, eight Bumblebee guns are mounted in two-gun dual purpose turrets, positioned to provide optimum anti-air and anti small ship coverage, as well as being retained in the armoured citadel to protect their magazines.  The ship is engineered with enough powerful steam turbine assemblies to keep pace with the rest of the navy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:50:52 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: June 23, 2017, 10:21:52 am »

Wait, seriously? Is it seriously possible to look at the turn where we lost on literally every front due to our shitty navy, and not want to fix that problem?
We don't need to catch up to them, godsdamnit. I'm talking about pushing them down from a Massive Naval Advantage to a Major one. That won't take five designs, that will take a single cruiser. And them designing a new cruiser won't then push them back to Massive. (if it does, then we're fucked either way, so we might as well assume it works the way that gives us a chance of winning)

Look, the 'screw the navy' doctrine is an interesting idea, but Sensei couldn't make it more obvious that it is not an option without literally writing it out in giant rainbow coloured letters.
Long Live United Forenia!

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: June 23, 2017, 10:24:16 am »

A good cruiser is critical for any carrier based navy in WWII. We need one. We needed it many turns ago.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: June 23, 2017, 10:43:05 am »

Nah, if J-CATCH is to be believed, then Cannala will upgrade their helicopters (and thanks to Azzuro throwing a temper tantrum, we KNOW they know about J-CATCH).

You were the one who originally brought up J-CATCH, right? Sure you weren't "looking around for inspiration" when you found it?

Considering the fact that I've been warning people about JCATCH since cannala developed a turbo-shaft and I've been wrong in predicting what they would develop for the past three turns, I'd say your insinuation is entirely off-mark.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: June 23, 2017, 10:55:26 am »

Sensei made a statement about the Khorne which sums as "They still have Massive Advantage, but it'll be easier for you to lower it."
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: June 23, 2017, 11:03:46 am »

As a small 'what the hell' moment, I just noticed the description I had taken from Taricus had the armor set to defend against 3 and 6 feet shells due to a mixup in indicators.  Yeah, going to correct that.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: June 23, 2017, 11:14:04 am »

Sensei made a statement about the Khorne which sums as "They still have Massive Advantage, but it'll be easier for you to lower it."

Source?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: June 23, 2017, 11:17:00 am »

Source?

It was in the discord.  Full response to asking about the Khorne being Expensive when it should have been Very Expensive was:
Sensei - Today at 10:34 AM
lol I guess Khorne price is a mistake.
I'm still ruling that the other ships which got cheaper are enough to give Cannala the naval advantage they had but this will make it relatively easier for Forenia to catch up.
I guess this kind of thing happens when I stay up to finish a turn lol

Bit annoying, but somewhat good news.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: June 23, 2017, 11:20:03 am »

Ah good.

I was worried the statement was in relation to our cruiser design stuff.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: June 23, 2017, 11:24:31 am »

Ah good.

I was worried the statement was in relation to our cruiser design stuff.

Thoughts on the Winged Hussar pattern?  I know it's lacking a torpedo belt, but some of the stuff may be pushing the limit of what we can do, and besides, we can use Archers for blocking torpedoes.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: June 23, 2017, 11:28:15 am »

Haven't looked at it yet. I'm currently reading through the old Cannalla, Juraki thread, counting how many naval designs they have.

Edit : I stopped, it's depressing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:34:10 am by 10ebbor10 »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: June 23, 2017, 11:38:57 am »

It's frustrating how much of the game is dictated by a specific field that only Cannala started with, and to an overwhelming degree to boot.  If they didn't get a credit every turn (they'll likely get one next turn too, from their Jukari engineer) then maybe we could catch up...

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: June 23, 2017, 11:47:09 am »

UFN-CA-41 Cataphract
Tired of hearing about outdated Khornes killing off Forenian sailors, the United Forenian Naval High Command commissioned this vessel. Built using all our knowledge, and some borrowed from other countries, the result was the Cataphract-class Cruiser.

The armor scheme relies on the all-or-nothing citadel method, protecting the engines and magazines, with armor capable of stopping a Cannalan 6-inch gun at long-medium range. Outside the citadel, there is only light armor. There is a medium-armor torpedo belt to protect against their torpedoes. The deck is composed of two layers, an armored deck capable of catching 6-inch plunging fire at any range, and a splinter deck below that capable of stopping any weakened shells or bomb fragments that penetrate. The goal is for the ship's 6-inch immunity zone to extend from minimum right out to maximum range. The ship itself is extremely heavily compartmentalized, with an excellent pumping system to reduce flooding fast enough to allow for damage control parties to respond.

The armament is three triple 150mm gun turrets, medium armor on the turrets themselves, with medium-armored mangalloy (One unit manganese maximum, prioritizing ammo-storage areas if we run short) trunks extending into the ship's citadel to provide extra protection. The mangalloy lightens the weight, allowing for faster traversal at similar levels of armor protection. The magazines are provided with a flooding mechanism in case of nearby fire, ruining the powder but likely saving the ship. The main battery is controlled from a central Director position, high up on the main mast. The turrets are aimed from there, and fired when, in the Director's opinion, they're on target. This revolution is as-of-yet unused in our navy, and provides incredible improvements to long-range gunfire.

Antiaircraft armament is composed of 12 Bumblebees in dual-purpose two-gun shielded turrets, capable of firing at aircraft or at fast MTBs or similar small vessels, three such turrets on each side. There are also multiple antiaircraft batteries scattered around the command tower and deck of the ship, composed mainly of autocannons for shooting down planes that have wandered too close. Several of the batteries have firing angles capable of hitting nearby ships such as torpedo boats or other targets of opportunity.

For propulsion, as many oil-fired steam turbines as necessary were fitted into the ship, to make it capable of 30 knots.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:13:11 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 500