Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 551387 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1941 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #4845 on: July 12, 2017, 07:56:20 pm »

Right, while I'm part of the crowd that thinks it's finally time for Cavity Magnetrons, here's a design suggestion, it's a bit incomplete, but here it is:

UF-PAG-41 'Insert Name Here' (Seriously, I don't have a name for this.)
In an attempt to give our paratroops some actual anti-armor capabilities, the United Forenian Paradroped Assault Gun 'Insert Name Here'
was developed. This vehicle is more a trial of weight reduction than anything else, with the primary goal getting it to fit in a Reckless Effect.

(If 'Blood Eagle' is finished)
The frontal armor consists mainly of ERA packages, with enough of a backplate to ensure they don't ruin the tank.
(If it isn't finished)
The frontal armor consists of a light sheet of RHA, and if weight restrictions allow, slat armor as well.
(Alternatively (AKA MAXIMUM WEIGHT SAVING!!!))
The armor on the entire vehicle is a minimalist sheet of mangalloy, thick enough to resist rifle rounds, but not anything heavier with any sort of reliability.

The sides and rear are made of only a thin sheet of mangalloy, sufficient to cover the crew from rifle fire, but obviously not enough to protect from actual anti-tank fire. The top is open, to save on weight.
Speed wise, the PAG-41 is expected to go fairly fast, more due to it's lack of weight than advanced engine.

(I haven't decided on armament, tempted to use the MAT-26's gun, but that's a bit dated by this point. Then again, we can probably get away with a new gun on a design, should still keep it small, to keep weight down. REMEMBER, FOUR TONS MAX, this design calls for Reckless Effect transport. The ASU-57 is a good starting concept, being 3.4 tons. Oh right, someone think of a name, please.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:59:25 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: July 12, 2017, 07:58:54 pm »

Technically we're already giving our paratroopers AT this turn by use of cargo parachute so we can drop them our RPGs.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: July 13, 2017, 02:28:32 am »

I don't think that something that fits in the RE can be called a tank. I'd like a light tank at some point as well, but it should be designed with the Ice Giant in mind, and weigh 10-12 tons.
We could do something like the ASU-57, but we shouldn't pass it off as a tank. It'd be an assault gun. Might be a good idea, actually.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: July 13, 2017, 02:57:33 am »

I don't think that something that fits in the RE can be called a tank. I'd like a light tank at some point as well, but it should be designed with the Ice Giant in mind, and weigh 10-12 tons.
We could do something like the ASU-57, but we shouldn't pass it off as a tank. It'd be an assault gun. Might be a good idea, actually.

Fair point. Head was just flat-lining on what to name it, and Light Tank was the first thing that came to mind for designation... (going to edit that now) And besides, I would think an assault gun for the RE would be better for our paratroops than a light tank for the Ice Giant. Maybe not quite yet, but another idea for the design pool.

Glory to United Forenia!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: July 13, 2017, 03:16:54 am »

If we are air-dropping tank-destroyers then I will renew my request to design the Ear-splitter. It really ought to be up for fiel-assembly. I mean, a 4-part tank destroyer is a pain to gather the parts for after a chaotic drop, but so long as you keep them to relatively safe landing sites we ought to be able to maintain regional control for the few hours it takes to put one together. And, well, sure, they are only good from one direction, but these are paratroopers. Ambush and fortify! If they can't control their angles then they are done for regardless. The Earsplitter(or a marginally more sane reconfiguration of The Earsplitter with an actually plausible gun diameter) would be able to be dropped from four recklesses in four pieces, put together in a field somewhere, and then driven into some random farmer's shed and then face-tank some enemy armour for a tick. "some assembly required" is the only way that you are getting a decent slab of armour with a relevant armament down on a parachute. And if it isn't a relatively open-plan then it is going to need winches and such instead of enough ropes for a few dozen soldiers to man-handle a big gun or two and a massive pot of armour that can be pulled into place by an engine on tracks that was dropped separately.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: July 15, 2017, 12:02:13 am »

Battle Report 15: Winter 1941

Naval Armor:
Armor for ships is now set into the following categories:

1 Thin: <2 inch/50mm
2 Light: 3-5 inch/75-125mm
3 Medium 6-9 inch/150-225mm
4 Heavy: 10-14 inch/250-350mm
5 Extreme: 15-20 inch/375-500mm

I've tried to pick numbers such that many common historical examples fall in the middle of a category, rather than right on the edge. You are all using hardened nickel-steel, where most nations are using something comparable to Krupp steel, which is 1 category better (+1). Old cast iron is one category worse (-1). You can armor your Citadel, Bow/Stern (if separate from the citadel), Deck, Turrets, and Tower(s) separately if you wish.

I'm using this chart as a reference for weapon penetration, though your guns are currently less effective than state-of-the-art examples in the same caliber. Just for a rule of thumb, most of the guns listed seem to be able to penetrate armor about twice their caliber in thickness at point blank, then falling off by half every 10km so they penetrate (roughly) their caliber at 10km, half at 20km, and a bit more than a quarter at 30km, which is the maximum range of the larger guns. Deck penetration is different than main armor penetration because it hits at a different angle: Almost no penetration up close, then penetrating half to 3/4 of their caliber at maximum range, where they're falling close to perpendicular with deck armor.

I will be revising the descriptions of existing ships to use terms consistent with this chart. If the armor isn't mentioned in detail I'll assume that turrets have the same thickness as the main armor, with decks and towers a category or two less armored (assuming the deck is armored at all).

Map:
All of the islands have now been named! The updated map is in the OP.

New Equipment:

This turn, the Forenians have designed the UFAF-F-41 Lightning Streak, a jet fighter aircraft which is hands down the fastest in the war. It uses a large, single engine which occupies most of the fuselage. It's armed with 3 cannons, and the swept wings and tail are designed to make the Lightning Streak as light and maneuverable as possible- it has no capacity for bombs at all. It uses a low-bypass turbofan (some of the intake air goes around the core of jet engine rather than being combusted) which makes it somewhat fat and egg-shaped. For their revision they've made the UF-PAR-41 Trustfall, which allows cargo and (unoccupied) vehicles to be air-dropped. Currently the biggest vehicle which can be dropped is the Salamander, and the AS-MAT-26 is droppable as well. This allows airborne soldiers to be better equipped and even have armored support.

Forenia has replaced their lost ore with the Axis supplies, so much of their equipment is cheaper. Everything which became more expensive when they lost their ore has been reduced to its original price.
Additionally, the AS-1931-HAFB, Thunderbird, Haast, Cataphract, and new Lightning Streak are all cheap for the first time thanks to this ore.

Cannala has developed a night-vision device: The 1941 Infrared Sighting System "Aswang". This is a bulky, backpack-powered combination of an infrared spotlight, and a scope which uses what is essentially a CRT to make infrared light visible to the user. The scope and light are usually both mounted together on top of a rifle or emplaced machine gun. The infrared spotlight illuminates out to a little over 100 yards. It can also be mounted on vehicles, though its relatively short range prevents vehicle operators from doing more than parking and operating their machine gun with night vision. For their revision, they're made the Keres-Class Cruiser, a cheaper version of the Victoria, with less armor and 9-inch guns. It just manages to be Expensive, rather than Very Expensive, filling the important role of "far bigger than anything Forenia has in this price range".

Cannala has gained an Oil from the Allies.
The B1M2 Man'O'War, and MXA1 Bull, have been reduced to Expensive. The Falcon has been reduced to Cheap, to be promptly obsoleted by the Spearhead which has also been reduced to Cheap.

The Forenian Army currently has the following equipment, not including legacy equipment which can be found near the OP:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: July 15, 2017, 12:02:34 am »

The Cannalan army currently has the following equipment:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: July 15, 2017, 12:02:50 am »

The War This Turn:
Both sides are making their push in the jungle of West Tereshkova, to the north, and in the south, Forenia is attempting a landing on Titan while Cannala attempts a landing on Mt. Konstantin. Cannala is holding their expense credit.

Espionage:
Forenia did a thing [5] [still complex due to Cannala using the wrong-sized bolts]

The Battle at Sea
Winter has come again, bringing heavy fog.

Both sides still rely heavily on shipboard radar to learn the position of their enemies, which in light (or dark) of the weather, is more effective than even airborne patrols. During combat this favors Cannala, because they have more ships with radar on board, and their radar units are smaller and less vulnerable. Still, both sides tend to become aware of each other around the same time.

Engagements take place at fairly long ranges. Both sides use aircraft to deliver attacks, and Cannala has enormous cannons at sea, granting an impressive range. The Victoria is still the longest-ranged battleship, and it can begin taking (inaccurate) shots near the edge of radar range, often allowing Cannala to damage Forenian fleets before their aircraft have all been readied. These are less common than their smaller cousins, the Keres-class Cruisers. The Keres is Expensive, but with savvy Cannalan gunning their 9-inch guns can allow them to neutralize multiple Cataphracts, Forenia's biggest gunships, in a direct firefight. Naturally Forenians avoid direct firefights at all costs, using air power for offense and their gunships for defense, and to hunt down Corsair cruisers which lay mines.

Forenia's Zheleznogorod carriers are now loaded with their state-of-the-art fighter jet, the F41 Lightning Streak. This powerful single-engine fighter is completely dedicated to air superiority (the Haast is used for attacking ships) and comes as a shock to Cannalan Spearhead pilots. Its modernized cannons will quickly knock down anything that flies, and it has the maneuverability to win dogfights, as well as the power to climb so fast that Cannalan pilots will stall if they try to follow it. However, it has had some problems with flameouts in wet weather (to a lesser degree, other jets are experiencing this problem as well) which sometimes force pilots to ditch the aircraft. There are also some deployment issues, it's delicate enough for the Zheleznogorod's rafter storage to be a poor idea, and it relies on the rocket catapult which limits the rate at which it can be scrambled as well as prohibiting it from being used on the cheap and mobile Wasp Nest carriers. Cheaper Haasts, with their deadly torpedoes, are the perfect tool to take advantage of air superiority, but there's a bit of a bottleneck in their deployment as they too rely on the rocket catapult to launch fully loaded. Bad weather is an issue as well, so Forenia can't always leverage their air advantage to the fullest extent. Worst of all, aircraft are completely dependent on their radar intelligence ship, and blind if it's disabled.

Cannala has a Major Naval Advantage this season.

The Battle for the Jungle:

Attacking: Both
The wet season begins..

The Forenians have got their lost supplies back thanks to Axis intervention, and are back on their best performance. Amphibious mechanized infantry are extremely popular with both sides, but Forenia has a new trick up their sleeve: Not only can the Salamander swim, it can fly. Or, if not fly, it can fall with style. Thanks to the "Trustfall" parachute, paratroopers are no longer simply engaging in small raids and waiting for the cavalry to arrive. Now extra supplies (including mines and rockets) are dropped in large crates, and entire Salamander armored vehicles are dropped out of the sky from the back of Ice Giant transports. It's not perfect, paratroopers have to link up with their supplies after landing and can still take time to regroup. Dropped vehicles of any kind are unoccupied, even in the best of circumstances they hit the ground hard and there is an "acceptable failure rate" involved in dropping 12-ton piles of metal out of an airplane. Still, the impact on the Cannalan army of having to deal with armored vehicles appearing in the middle of nowhere behind their front lines is well worth it, and can be used to attack valuable locations like radar emplacements. The Salamander is the main vehicle dropped, but the MAT-26 tank destroyer has proven viable as well. Sarukh systems have proven too delicate for air drops.

An entire Salamander crew stands in a circle, looking upwards at a tree. There isn't an abundance of outward evidence that they are in fact a salamander crew; just a few stylish tank goggles and patches designating ranks such as "Sgt Mikhailov - Gunner". You see, normally a salamander crew is almost impossible to misidentify, because they are sitting in a salamander. When they're on foot, they're mistakable for foot soldiers. Sgt Mikhailov, Gunner, breaks the silence. "I bet Omar could climb the tree, and get a cable onto it. Then we could pull it free." Omar was quick to reply. "No way! Why do I always have to do stupid dangerous stuff? It's at least twenty meters up. Inshallah, I'm staying down here." A man whose patch read Captain Vasiliev replied, "You had to disable the mines last time because you're the lowest rank in the crew. Fair's fair. But, I don't think that will work anyway." Mikhailov spoke again. "It's still got the parachute attached, right? If get it loose, shouldn't it just... float down?" "I don't think that's how it... look, just get Boris and his crew on the radio. We're going to need a ride."

Cannala, never to be outdone, has a sneaky trick up their sleeve as well. The Aswang night vision system allows an infantryman to carry an entire night vision system, illuminated by an infrared spotlight. Normally, Forenians don't attempt night time attacks, but the IR system can be mounted on machine gun emplacements to be completely sure. It also allows occasional daring night vision attacks. Elite Pirates sneak up to a camp, shoot out spotlights, and fight with M1928J rifles, which are ideal for the range. They enjoy the advantage of having a narrow but clear view of the field, while the Forenians only see muzzle flashes and are scrambling for flashlights, which are a giveaway for their position when lit. The Aswang may be crude and heavy, but the jungle provides the circumstances which maximize its potential. It's a unique trick that helps Cannala's infantry compete with Forenia's flamethrower and tiger armor troops.

Infantry combat, as such, still favors Forenia during the day, but now Cannala at night. The flamethrower and tiger armor are still unique weapons in Forenia's arsenal, and Cannalan soldiers still struggle to deliver a grenade or rocket accurately to destroy a Tiger position, when the Tiger user can simply hose down any Cannalans who show themselves with a machine gun. There are various small differences in the other small arms used by both sides, but by and large none of them are enough to make a very dramatic effect on the battlefield. If you ask a soldier whether the AS-AR34 or SSRA is a better assault rifle, for example, Cannalan soldiers will always proudly boast that the SSRA is the best rifle while Forenians will brag about their AS-AR34 and deride the worksmanship of Cannalan weapons.

In armored combat, the Salamander continues to have an advantage over the regular Raiders, though Marauders with Daybreaker cannons are in no short supply- either one can destroy the other quickly, and the Raider platform's smoke grenades can be useful in avoiding a barrage of autocannon rounds. The Bull is now on the same price point as the AS-T33, and any straight fight is easily in the Bull's favor although infantry hate to fight alongside it. Forenia's MAT-26 is also airdropped and encounters Cannalan tanks often, its 50mm cannon is extremely effective against Raiders and variants, although redundant since the Salamander's autocannon is as well and there are rarely ranges long enough. It's DT25 50mm cannon is smaller than that used in the AS-T33, so it's not particularly effective against Bull tanks unless it can get a lucky rear shot. It's also worth noting that the Salamander has benefited from the replacement of its AS-AC18 autocannon with the Velociraptor, as it can lay down more fire, but mainly it can quickly and easily switch between AP and HE rounds, or use mixed belts if the crew doesn't know what to expect.

Forenia enjoys air superiority to protect them from Cannalan bombers, and get their own bombers and transports where they need to go, the Lightning Streak performs admirably in destroying enemy aircraft, particularly when it has a solid-ground runway from which to deploy. The Spearhead just can't keep up. The Lightning Streak is also noticeably extremely difficult to hit with any sort of AA fire. If it does it get by much of anything it will promptly go up it flames, but its sheer speed makes it so difficult to track that hitting it by hand is a matter of luck, and as a fighter it normally doesn't fly in a straight line long enough for Cannala's mechanical targeting computers to be of use. Fortunately for Cannala, it doesn't carry any bombs, and its fast-firing Velociraptor cannons lack the ammo to make ground strafing very worthwhile most of the time, though pilots praise the gun's rate of fire as it helps hit enemy aircraft in short encounters. Some Lightning Streaks pilots have reported that in extreme dives, the plane begins to vibrate violently and the controls become utterly useless, or even reversed, until the pilot backs off the throttle (or applies the brakes) and slows down again. They may be approaching the sound barrier. Several Lightning Streaks have crashed under mysterious circumstances, and this may be the cause.

Cheap Haasts also benefit from air superiority. Some are lost to AA, but they make it rain so many cluster HEAT and incendiary bombs that the jungle is full rusty, unexploded duds.

As Cannala grows further from the shore, the Victoria bombardments are less frequent.

Forenia gains ground. [Cannala 1/4, Forenia 3/4]

The battle for Mt. Konstantin:

Attacking: Cannala

Cannala's new Aswang night-vision system isn't very useful in the mountains. Infantry engagements usually happen at well more than 100 yards. The favored weapon of both sides is their most accurate rifles, Forenia's M2 Osprey and Cannala's M1913. Both guns themselves are well suited to their roles, but soldiers bemoan the scarcity of optical sights. Forenia's optical sights, the Eagle Sight MkII, are better in quality, but both sides' sights are Expensive. Some Forenian soldiers have tried breaking their inexpensive binoculars in half and affixing them to rifles for makeshift scopes, but it is doubtful that any of them have actually killed a Cannalan soldier while doing so. Infantry-portable mortars are also used in most squads. They're effective but there is a lot of guesswork and adjusting shots involved in aiming them out across a mountain pass.

Forenia's Sarukh artillery is useful here, being easier for trucks to carry up mountains than light cannons. Cannala, on the other hand, has the unique advantage of large naval artillery which can hit much of the island, although Victoria ships are sometimes kept at a distance by Overcompensator guns. A direct hit will disable even enormous ships most of the time. Forenia's main defense against naval units is their air power, and now that the Lightning Streak is obliterating the Cannalan air force, any ship is at risk of crippling damage to their keel by Forenia's extremely effective Dolphin torpedoes which use a magnetic detonator to go off beneath ships, and can be dropped from an almost-safe distance.

Communications used on both sides are relatively secure, Cannala uses their frequency-modulating radio system as well as code pads, because Forenia hasn't cracked it. There are occasional code breaches as radios or pads used by one side or the other are captured, but they are brief before codes are changed.

Cannala fails to make a beachhead. [Cannala 0/2, Forenia 2/2]

The Battle for Titan:

Attacking: Forenia

Forenia has returned to make another attempt at landing on Titan, the tundra island. Since they are at a disadvantage at sea, they rely on aircraft and their new heavy parachutes to create a beachhead on land rather than attempting to fight shore defenses with ships. Unfortunately they've chosen the worst time to do so. Winter on Titan sees terrible weather, with airplanes flying through fog so thick they can barely see spotlights on the ground. There are a large number of accidents as a result of jet engine flameouts, and navigation is troublesome, with radar data only being available from ships.

With weakened air support, arguably superior Forenian infantry but superior Cannalan armor, Forenia is unable to hold any ground on Titan.

Cannala holds the line. [Cannala 2/2, Forenia 0/2]

Espionage:[/B]
On a moon-lit night, a small group of Forenian salamander soldiers, codenamed the 'Storm Dragons', infiltrate a Cannalan shipyard. Thanks to sympathetic Juraki workers, the alarms and long-range radio tower are disabled when they arrive. Several men cut a hole in a chain-link fence, kill several guards with silenced weapons, enter the offices, and exit with a bundle of documents pertaining to the construction of the Victoria Battlecruiser. The whole operation is done in only a matter of minutes, and a crate of Arstotzkan rifles is left to be 'found' by the Juraki for their troubles. Nobody's the wiser until the evidence of their deeds is found the next morning. Actually stealing a ship would have been too much for a small group of commandos, but Forenia now has plans enough for the Victoria to be built with its whole hull, armor, engines, and director system, but the guns will have to be Forenian Overcompensators and the Cannalan radar design isn't included. It will also be [Complex], as it's built from enemy designs in the Imperial system, and some very important design features are scrawled in the margins in bad handwriting- details like "actually, move this beam five feet forward or IT WILL COLLAPSE".

Events outside the War:

The Outside World:

The Empire of Japan begins calling men to military service, bringing its army to full size. Joseph Stalin vows to fight a "scorched earth" campaign against the Germans invading Russia. Operation Barbarossa is going well for the Germans, who have reached the Dnieper river by July and put Leningrad under siege. There are many battles which end drastically in Germany's favor. Germany massacres 25 Polish academics and their families in Lwów, along with their families, in an attempt to weaken the Polish Resistance. Large Jewish massacres in Poland occur. President Roosevelt orders the seizure of all Japanese assets in the United States after Japan invades French Indochina. Hitler orders an end to the Action T4 euthanasia program where various citizens deemed unfit for society are killed in hospitals, due to protests from the church. However, people involved in the program are assigned to concentration camps, where they continue the killings. Germany first uses the pesticide Zyklon B to kill Soviet POWs, and the policy of requiring Jewish citizens of occupied countries to wear a patch identifying them on their clothing is put into place.

The first commercial TV begins in the United States, with an advertisement for Bulova watches airing before a baseball game and gameshow hosts reading sponsor messages during their programs.

Local Events:
The Secret Police have Arrested Kot, for involvement with the Arstotzkan Rebels. The issue before Forenian parliament today is: Should Forenia invade Vlanlados? The island nation is a sorry piece of rock without enough resources to benefit the Forenian war effort against Cannala, but it is known to have supported Arstotzkan rebels against Forenia. Vlanlados may even have spies in Forenia directly. Your votes will help Parliament decide whether to use diplomacy or force to deal with the Vlanlados issue. In other news, Moskurg author Raafat Al-Hayim is reported to have nearly finished his Wands Race books, but has stalled the fictitious war between Moskurg and Arstotzka close to the end. Some readers speculate he is merely trying to earn extra money by dragging out the end of the series and publishing extra issues. "He should just have the Arstotzkans upgrade their magic tank-carriage and win already," says one reader. In science news, a controversial article has also been published recently which claims that the crew of the AS-SS1935X rocket which attempted to fly to the moon, could never have survived the forces involved in their gunpower-fueled launch. The Forenian academic community is split, with the rocket's proponents theorizing various devices which could have reduced the force on the crew during the launch.

In Cannala, the Red Rot cure appears to have begun negatively affecting the crops. People drinking rum from recent sugar cane harvests have become violently ill, whatever sort of fungicide the cure is, it seems to have rendered the crops unfit for consumption. Famous singer Benita Rivera has been hospitalized, and press reports are conflicting but she may be suffering a liver failure. There are riots in the streets over this recent development. The unused Expense Credit has been spent on damage control, and fortunately this has kept the mines open. It's extremely lucky that the money hadn't already been used up, otherwise resources may have temporarily been lost. Eduardo Charpes has stated in a speech that he is beginning an investigation to determine who the anonymous producer of the Red Rot Cure is, and bring them to trial. Some citizens suspect that this is part of a Juraki plot, and the incident has spurred violence against Jurakis in the streets. Sushi restaurants are targeted in particular, with rioters smashing windows and furniture. In other news, imports of luxury goods from America have been on the rise, although Cannalan traders are quickly acquiring a reputation for trying to swindle and steal goods. Cannala rarely imports foreign liquors though: Despite extreme health scares and accusations that Cannalan rum is severely watered down, Cannalans still agree that domestic booze is just better. The Cannalan Secret Police have arrested Darkgamer, who appears to have been attempting to entice Jurakis to form a rebellion.

Turn 16, Commence!

You may now begin voting for your design phase!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 01:48:50 am by Sensei »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1941 (Design Phase)
« Reply #4853 on: July 15, 2017, 12:26:02 am »

goyrl
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1941 (Design Phase)
« Reply #4854 on: July 15, 2017, 12:35:13 am »

Anak-C.A.8-1941-RedIsFaster II "River Of Tears" Electric Artillery mounted upon a newly-dubbed "Ash Salamander", and archers...
Powered by standard columns of turbojets this 24-barreled electric-powered gattling-gun fires 8x120mm solid rifled bullets along electric rails with the firing chamber replaced with electric circuits and a magnetic loading mechanism that pushes bullets onto the rails from a reusable belt. This is intended as an effective weapon against infantry behind cover, light armour, and low-flying aircraft. The barrel arrangements are designed to be easily replaceable.
It is to be mounted upon a modified Salamander with spare barrels in top-opening compartments behind the turret. Power is provided by converting the passenger space into horizontal jet turbine stacks and electrical condenser banks. The firing mechanism, turret, and electrical systems will be water-cooled by side-mounted inset fan-cooled radiators along the rear sides of the vehicle. This does leave it somewhat vulnerable, but it is predicted that the weapon should have a greater effective range than other direct-fire weapons, and thus should be effective as fire-support from a relatively safe distance.

UF-SPT-39 "Earsplitter"
    An antitank position on treads.

With the recent upgrade to enemy ordnance, it became apparent that weaponry will continue to escalate. We cannot abandon our tanks, so we must race to meet the enemy developments. I propose that we do so, but first, we ensure that we will never be caught completely unprepared. To this end, we must have a mobile unit of extreme armour and ordnance faculty. I propose:

A turret, of 120mm sloped forward armour, 10mm of steel at the front for hardness, 10 at the back for rigidity, and a 100mm slab of aluminium sandwiched in the middle to reduce weight. The other angles do not matter so much, but they need something... Two periscopes over two cylindrical holes for drum-jointed guns to sit. A pair of ammunition racks capable of holding at least three rounds each. And fully motorised rotation and elevation with an arc of at least 45 degrees with a reserve of battery power along with power connections to an absent base to recharge its batteries and convey control-commands from a pair of levers. Also a pair of slits at the back.

A Track with an armoured tank engine, multiple fuel-tanks, and ammunition conveyance. along with a generator to provide power to a turret. And two large caterpillar tracks(With odd holes at regular intervals) with a heavy steel bracing pillar running heir length and affixed to a large, heavily armoured platform at the front(held in place with six 100mm pipes and 200mm disk as the platform itself.).

A pair of 120mm cannons. With drum-joints by which to be hinged in a turret. shields towards the back to extend out the back of a turret and traverse up/down without exposing the innards, a loading gear to push the rounds to the back of the gun when loaded from a mid-point, and the ability to fire high-velocity penetrator rounds, though they will, for now, only be issued with snub-nosed high-explosive rounds with a low propellant volume for maximum damage against 'softer' targets and low wear until the kinks can be sorted out.

However, any and all of these considerations can be sacrificed for these final necessities:
    All components must be capable of being air-lifted by the reckless effect and dropped from altitude. We predict this sets a maximum limit of 3 tonnes to account for support elements and safety margins.
    Field assmeblable into a single unit, ideally by as few as two dozen men. We expect this to require numerous ropes and rings upon the items themselves, along with some clever tricks...

The assemblage process would start with a Track-unit being righted and driven to a turret-unit. The turret unit would be tipped onto its face and the tracks would drive up behind it. A pair of chocks would be inserted into the tracks and the turret would be pulled back onto the chocks, with a notch catching on them. The tracks would then be wheeled backwards,pulling the turret over its platform, at which point one final heave pulls it off of the chocks and it pulls backwards backwards while the turret finally rests in place. The guns are then pulled onto their ends and then lowered into place, again, this makes extensive use of attaching ropes to both ends, and obviously the entire top of the turret needs to open for this event. Obviously the turret's seam would have a pattern to prevent a perfect seam running straight through it.

It would be lack the combat mobility of a tank, or even tank-destroyer, but would be small enough to overcome some terrain disadvantages and hide in things like suburban garages. It's purpose would be to be under the authority of infantry units to provide heavy anti-armour support for defensive positions and ambushes. It would be extremely vulnerable to flanking attacks, but would hopefully be used in well fortified positions or used with the intention to overwhelm the enemy with surprise and thus if the retreat is xcalled everyone else is likely in just as much trouble... Its greatest strength would be to provide extreme stopping power to paratroops, provided it can be deployed to a relatively large area of relative security to be gathered and assembled.

120mm is very ambitious for air-drop so that will probably have to be abandoned, but I would really like me some extra-heavy front plating for long-term "don't come at my face"ness...

Looks something like this:

_
____/ \_    {HHH}
    \_/[] []{HHH}
  0=0=0=0=0=0=0=0

With the front pod and engine being heavily armoured and the rest being sxposed and easily blowed up.

UF-GEV-41 "Ekaterina

This is a plane with short, stubby wings. By all rights it shouldn't fly, and in fact it employs an aerodynamic effect known as ground effect to boost its lift and reduce drag, by staying close to the surface.
To retain stability in this region, it uses a T shaped tail, on which a single powerful turboprop engine is mounted.
The aircraft itself is fairly small but has 2 crewmembers: a pilot and a gunner for the Sorraia turret.
Besides the turret the only other weapon it carries is torpedo mounts. Thanks to the reduction in guns, armor, plus the more powerful engine, combined with the benefits of ground effect, should allow it to lift 3 or 4 tons of torpedoes in its tubes.
This strange plane is meant to be deployed as a motor torpedo boat, using its great speed to avoid enemy artillery while it deploys its payload.
Being airborne, it is significantly faster than any boat we could ever deploy.
For the joy of some engineers, it floats when not airborne.

L.B.41 "Intellectual Piracy" Light Battleship
We revise and incorporate the formerly victoria's technology and rejig it to a lighter and faster design With one less gun in its forwards and rear turrets and work to improve its engine power.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: July 15, 2017, 01:49:11 am »

Battlereport edited to add: Forenian espionage action, Cannala arrests Darkgamer.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: July 15, 2017, 02:12:01 am »

Alright. Alright. How about some better radar, then? It isn't winter, so it's not critical, but better radar is better no matter the season.

Obviously we should spend our revision de-complexifying the Victoria into... whatever we decided to call it. I forget. Look, it's been a week, okay?
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: July 15, 2017, 02:17:10 am »

The name was Vodka, and pulling cav mags sounds like a good idea to me. We have issues we can fix in every direction, including radar, but none of them are so pressing that a tech leap like this is a poor idea.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: July 15, 2017, 02:36:18 am »

So Mini Death Rays + Decomplexifying the Vodka is the plan then? I can get behind that one.

Glory to United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: July 15, 2017, 02:44:07 am »

We could also spend a revision to mount the radar on the lightning and add titanium frame and aluminium skin to make it lighter.
They are probably going to get a fighter now.
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 500