Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 551376 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: October 1945, Post-Battle
« Reply #7425 on: January 15, 2019, 12:13:46 am »

What is the time limit here, btw?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: January 15, 2019, 12:17:18 am »

Planning some stuff. How do i join Nemo?
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: January 15, 2019, 12:40:33 am »

Planning some stuff. How do i join Nemo?
Contacting one of us through Discord is probably the fastest way to go about it.
Long Live United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: January 15, 2019, 12:44:51 am »

I'm disappointed that there still is a Forenia, after losing the war.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: January 15, 2019, 12:47:09 am »

Wow, fucking rude.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: January 15, 2019, 12:59:05 am »

I am hopeful to begin writing a bit under 36 hours from now, so preferably, get your designs in before then! It is not a hard deadline but I won't guarantee you will get in after that.

Anyone is welcome to join, even if you have only been lurking in the thread up until now. The more absolute chaos, the merrier.

Anyone looking to join Nemo will need to PM one of the members, or contact them on Discord.

Also, since Andres is currently the leader of the Arstotzkan rebel forces, his new flag is basically the Arstotzkan flag if he says so, for now. Later, you can either gather up to agree on a final flag to use, or there won't be any of you to gather up.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: January 15, 2019, 01:20:25 am »

Support NUKE's Low Expense Thermionic Brilliant Energy deLiverer (Uranium eXperiment) reactor research. Round up scientists and send them straight in there to die with him of radiation poisoning.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:45:34 am by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: January 15, 2019, 01:38:25 am »

Also, since Andres is currently the leader of the Arstotzkan rebel forces, his new flag is basically the Arstotzkan flag if he says so, for now. Later, you can either gather up to agree on a final flag to use, or there won't be any of you to gather up.
((Stick with the old flag, actually. Can't have a typo in the flag.))

New plan: Arstotzkan and Cannalan forces will mount an assault on the armoury. Cannalan ordnance will prevent the Forenian rebels from reinforcing the armoury. I will attempt to contact and sway Forenian elements to Arstotzka's side. Especially those guarding the armoury and Sidorenko, the sniper who could've been general, who fights in the old Arstotzkan way, the way that allowed Arstotzka to beat Moskurg, the way that was not followed when Forenia lost to Cannala. If the attempt to take the armoury fails, Cannala will destroy it.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1945 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #7433 on: January 15, 2019, 02:24:30 am »

RDN-45 "Actual Death Ray"

For far too long, our death rays have caused death only indirectly. No longer! The Actual Death Ray houses two slightly sub-critical masses of Uranium inside a lead box. When the trigger is pulled, an iris opens and these masses are brought together, bathing everyone nearby with a less than healthy dose of radiation. The operator is protected by a combination of a suit of tiger armor with lead plates and wishful thinking. An obligatory bayonet is included. To support the massive weight, the device is crudely welded to an old lady's walker that an intern got from somewhere.

Support the rebellion, but, one way or the other, I don't think my aim will really matter

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: January 15, 2019, 03:43:18 pm »

All unencrypted and most encrypted radios in Forenia suddenly go static, then a recorder broadcast starts

Greetings, people of Forenia.
This is NEMO.

Officially, we are nobody. But our powerful connections to politics and engineering alike allowed us to operate toward our goal in secret for a long time.
Today, with chaos engulfing our beatiful nation, it is time to step in the light.

Nemo was founded more than a year ago by a coalition of influential people in Forenia. Seeing the future of our nation endangered, we looked at the great accomplishments of the past; chief of them, the great milestone in human history that was the first vehicle to reach space of all times, with a crew no less, achieving orbit of our satellite. With continuing progress in the field of rocketry, our path was clear: the future is in the stars.

At this time, when Earth is shaken and our old homeland is succumbing to the foreign invader, We will lift off and move as many civilians as we can to our new home: Mars.
Fiction you may say, but we have had the brightest minds at work on this. Some are working on harnessing the power of the atom to power this expedition, using Uranium skimmed off from the excess Vlanlados production. Some are designing the tools we will require to thrive when we arrive. And some more are relentlessly working on the rockets which will bring us there, built of steel in our shipyards.

In the end, hundreds of brave people will depart from Earth and begin a new existance on mars.
We work today, for a brighter future.

NEMO - New Existance on Mars Organization

Design:NEMO-SS1945X “New Zheleznogorod”

This marvellous flying machine is the culmination of our efforts in rocket engines and submarine pressure hulls.  A lot of time was spent drawing plans for it, using the resources of the secret organization Nemo

This rocket is a 3-stage rocket, 23 meters wide and 150 meters tall, built in shipyards using shipyard materials and techniques, such as a structure entirely made of 8 mm steel. This allows it to be manufactured quickly, cheap and in large numbers. Being this big, land launch is impractical and instead it is launched at sea.

It uses the same type on engine on all stages, a newly developed nitric oxide/ UDMH (storable, not prone to boil-off) engine with a thrust to weight ratio of 120, a vacuum Isp of 320 and a sea level Isp of 290.
We calculated the Delta V for the transfer to be 14500 m/s, with aerodynamic entry on Mars to save on propellant. This Delta V budget is divided evenly among the stages, with a 5000/5000/4500 split.

As a result of those things, the stages are as follow:
-First stage:
   -T/W: 1.25
   -height: 97 m
   -Dry weight: 1’200 t
   -Propellant: 41’000t
   -Detachable floats for stability before sea launch
-Second stage:
   -T/W: 1
   -height: 26 m
   -Dry weight: 306 t
   -Propellant: 8570 t
-Third stage:
   -T/W: 0.3
   -height: 26 m
      -of which, the habitable portion is: 15 m
   -Dry weight: 200 t
   -Propellant: 1430 t

The third stage also acts as a Mars lander. It will bleed most velocity by aerobraking in the atmosphere, then it will straighten with a drogue parachute and proceed to land propulsively, for which purpose it has some legs.  Of course, due to the chance of landing on martian lakes, legs are hollow to act as retractable floats.

While in space, air and food are provided by stored consumables. During ascent and transfer burn, electricity is provided by engines and a limited quantity of batteries. After that, it will rely on the payload to provide electrical needs. Ports on the outside and power cables are provided to link several rockets in a single power network. Those cables also act as communication lines. With an estimated transfer time of 7 months, it would take 2 t of mass for each person, without any recycling. Even basic filtering decreases this value significantly.

For ships tasked with carrying crew, sleeping quarters are provided; they are rooms in which walls are lined with people sized pockets, in which crew can sleep.  There are some complaints about elbow pipes sticking out in some of the pockets for no discernible reason, but those are negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Suborned shipyards and factories across Forenia have been working for months to produce engines, bend metal and deliver propellant, fully dedicated to the task. In the last month, with the Government collapsing, even more of the industry has been commandeered in order to push the launch date to the time of the peace treaty. With the vast resources of NEMO, a fleet of New Zheleznogorod rockets is built and ready to evacuate Forenians from the encroaching Cannalans and go forward to the next frontier: MARS!

This design is done in cooperation with kot

Example of steel rocket built in the open by a water tower company
Sea Dragon, reference for enormous water launched shipyard quality rockets
Example of rocket engine

Action: protection of the fleet

I have lived through the entire Arstotzka vs Moskurg war. I nearly died in the rebellion. Then once again I fought against Cannala under the flag of United Forenia. With too much strife in the heart , blood in the hands and rot in the bones, the future of Forenian people doesn't belong to me. My goal, at the end of it all, is just to ensure that those destined to carry out this future live to see it, at any cost.

With rifle in hand and grenades in my belt I'll join the security forces at the launch site, aiding in loading of the crew first and then protection of the fleet in the ensuing chaos.
This may be my very last day, but it will be lived well. And for this, I shall take my original colors. I shall wear my old Arstotzka parade uniform, with the traditional helmet, GOYRL medal (copy) on my chest.

GLORY!
(Note: I am not taking part in any rebellion, and I explicitly despise Andres, traitor to Arstotzka
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:06:48 am by andrea »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: January 15, 2019, 03:53:20 pm »

NEMO - New Existence on Mars Organisation

Design: Low Expense Thermionic Brilliant Energy deLiverer (Uranium eXperiment)
In the beginning was the word, and the word was: "LET-BE-LUX"
The LET-BE-LUX is a nuclear reactor, weighing in at 180 tons, with an optimal power output of 1600kw. It operates as a thermionic reactor, which is to say, electrons jump from a hot thing to a (comparatively) cold thing through a conductive plasma, creating a current. This requires the hot thing to be very very hot. Fortunately, nuclear fission can make things very very hot very easily (the tricky part is not letting things get too hot).
More specifically, the LET-BE-LUX uses Uranium-dioxide fuel rods at 80% enrichment, acquired by NEMO. The moderator is Zirconium-Hydride and the reflectors are Beryllium. Sodium-Potassium alloy is used as the coolant (which is more reliable at extreme temperatures than other coolant options). The reacting uranium heats Molybdenum emitters (which may reach temperatures of up to 1600 degrees kelvin), causing electrons to be released into the Caesium plasma between the emitters and the Niobium collectors (which are a mere 900 degrees kelvin)(These are target numbers; the bigger the temperature differential, the more efficient the reactor).
The LET-BE-LUX is designed to require low amounts of maintenance, and be operable in extreme conditions, aided by the lack of significant moving parts. The fuel rods are expected to last 2-3 years at maximum output. The reactor is divided into several 'sub-reactors', each of which can be activated or deactivated independently.
The completed reactor will be delivered to NEMO, for integration into the final project.

As for the enriched uranium, NEMO has been skimming the excess off of Forenia's uranium stockpile for months, and has been increasing their acquisition in the recent chaos. Whilst others squabble over the remaining stockpile, NEMO is sitting pretty on its own, independent stockpile. This uranium has been channelled into a secret location hidden in the Forenian mountains, where NEMO-aligned engineers have been developing enrichment technology. The end result of this is a gaseous diffusion facility, where uranium hexafluoride is forced through a powdered nickel barrier. The ever-so-slightly lighter uranium-235 passes through the barrier more easily, meaning the gas on one side is ever-so-slightly more enriched. By doing this hundreds of times in sequence, uranium can be enriched to a high degree.

Although not affiliated, NEMO and the engineer 'Iridium' have shared notes on the enrichment of uranium and the creation of nuclear reactors, advancing their collective knowledge (though not working on the same final projects).

Action: Die slowly of radiation poisoning
Look, man, you try rushing the development of a nuclear reactor without suffering a minor dose of lethal radiation. Whatever. It matters not; the colonisation of Mars is the ultimate moral victory.
Could the resources of NEMO have been better spent elsewhere? Could the war even have gone the other way had we not funnelled resources into not one but several giant rockets? Perhaps, perhaps. But what would that have changed? At the end of the day, the result would just have been more fighting. No, the only way to win in these ever-escalating Arms Races is not to play. And the only way not to play is to literally get off the planet.
I can die happy knowing that Forenians will be the first people to leave the cradle of earth, to expand humanity's reach towards the stars. I shall stand by the shoreline, a drink in one hand, a rifle in the other, and a pile of miscellaneous weapons at my feet, raising a toast as the rockets take off for the sky.

Long Live Forenia!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:21:51 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: January 15, 2019, 03:57:50 pm »

NEMO - New Existance on Mars Organization

UF-SSS-45XX 'NEMO Standard Issue Space Survival Suit'
A heavily-insulated, completely-sealed suit that provides pressure to the human inside by containing atmosphere. The suits are incredibly well-designed and showcase the finest of Forenia's textile-industry design prowess. The air supply (and thus the heating and cooling), electrical power for the head-mounted flashlight and important information monitoring systems (vitals, pressure, temperature, etc.), and primary communications arrays are all fed through an umbilical cord attached to the inside of whatever airlock the user exits the station from. There are backup supplies of everything in a backpack for the user in case the umbilical starts leaking or anything.

A simple cable and carabiner clip provide a means for the user to avoid floating away. A backup short-ranged radio mounted on top of the backpack has antennae mounted to the helmet, with little PAROI flags on top, assembled so that they appear to be flying even with no air. A patented FORENIAN SUNGLASSES™ coating on the faceplate protects the eyes and face from damaging amounts sunlight (please do not stare at the sun for any length of time at all).

For working, the suit has plenty of Velcro strips on it as well as some Velcro-closed pockets to store additional tools and parts in (And those elbow pockets nobody uses). We also modify a bunch of tools to be space-suit-usable, since space suits are a little thin on that whole "dexterity" thing.

Effort was shared with the good engineer Powder Miner to ensure that both our designs are properly sealed at least, so that in the event of failure his design is interchangeable with our space suit for emergency repairs.

The suit comes in two pieces: Pressure suit and backpack. The backpack can be removed so that the user can comfortably sit in the spacecraft during launch, and added for any EVA operations. A handful of backpacks are issued to each spacecraft, and every passenger gets the pressure suit.

Bring down the traitors and the treacherous invaders.
It had been a long war. For the double agent and longtime FIP supporter known only as the Madman, it seemed nearly over. All that was left was to win, after all. He would climb once more into a jet fighter, carry a Noose missile, and shoot down any Cannalan or Arstotzkan planes that attempted to threaten the NEMO launch. After that, he'd eject, and join the loyal citizens of Forenia, rallied by the National Security Ring's contacts, and push towards Powder Miner's elite squad to support them.

Death, glory, or both.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: January 15, 2019, 04:32:03 pm »

UF-MBT-45 'Demolisher'
Quite likely the most heavily armoured and armed tank in the archipelago's existence, the 'Demolisher' is the final word in tank engagements. Armoured thickly with composite armour, further compounded with ERA plates and armed with a massive 120mm cannon fitted with an autoloader, a coaxial Sorraia. The Demolisher is capable of wading through all but ATGM fire recklessly and come out more or less intact. Capable of achieving 60km/h of onroad speed and 40 km/h off-road, the Demolisher has a staggering amount of agility for it's protection and armament.

---

For all the buzz of house arrest, Tarik Karim was hardly bothered by it, given the comfort of the family estate. As the war raged the estate was oddly calm, punctuated by the patrols of police personnel assigned by the secret police. While Tarik first viewed them as an annoyance, he soon adapted to their presence, and as Forenia's parliament voted to re-align with the soviet union and the divergences of political opinion appeared, he had taken to viewing them rather fondly, given the measure of protection they provided against the odd separatist and communist agitator.

But the return of Andres was far darker, and as his rebellion swept forenia his home was stripped of it's guard as Forenia fought back against Andres and his separatists. On this day the fate of Forenia would be decided. And for his part, Tarik had a few calls to make...

---
Ryoichi Haru Sato had laboured with unprecedented effort recently, working to ensure the 'Demolisher' would be in fighting shape to take the fight to the rebels and defend his new, adoptive homeland from the depredations of the Cannalans. It wasn't the first time he had a tank for this sort of chaos, all those years ago fighting in the Juraki capital and escaping the grip of both the explosion of the gas factory and the cannalan armed forces to fight another day.

And the demolisher itself? A work of art, in Sato's mind. Nothing anyone could throw at it would be enough to stop it in it's tracks.

Action (Engineer): Join Powder Miner in his defence of the Armoury

Action (Forenian Sentinel Group): Flank the Arstotzkan columns marching on the armoury, once the arstotzkan threat to the armoury is destroyed, move on to liberate parliament.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:05:17 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: January 15, 2019, 05:29:41 pm »

UF-SSN-45 "Zingel"

The Zingel is a large submarine that is 120 meters long with the hull made out of titanium and most of the internal workings of the sub out of steel. Specifically designed for speed and sinking enemy ships, the Zingel is special in specifically having a lead-bismuth nuclear reactor powering the craft instead of diesel electric. The sub has a teardrop shape and a six compartment design and has noticeably large rudder and diving planes at the back, with two more diving planes on the tower and the front of the craft. It is propelled through the water with three propellers, two small ones located near the end of the rear diving planes and one large main one between the two. The front of the sub has six torpedo tubes and is armed with special UF-TPD-45 'Narwhal' torpedoes which are based on the old dolphin torpedoes but made much longer to accommodate longer range, acoustic searching and a bigger warhead, though range is prioritized over the warhead, and its speed is, while fast, made to be less than that of the Zingel just in case it acquires the wrong target. The ship has also had attention done to its sonar, specifically to make it more advanced, using both a form of active and passive sonar, though the latter is prioritized. Additionally, it does have a radar mast it can use on the surface or at periscope depth, along with a periscope and a snorkel, though said snorkel is to allow the crew to have oxygen without surfacing and making the ship a easy target, in other words it is nothing like the kind a diesel sub would have. The ship should have a test depth of 300 meters under the water, a large supply of torpedoes, and a fairly sizable crew of around a hundred. The work on its special power plant is to be shared and worked with NEMO. The ship isn't given much in the way of noise damping, and as such it is likely to be detected by enemy sonar, but the idea is it would be fast enough to outrun anything that tries to sink it.

Spoiler: Action (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:53:05 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #7439 on: January 15, 2019, 07:25:14 pm »

Spoiler: ree1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ree2 (click to show/hide)

I might edit this but am posting now because Senseis are fickle beings and I don't know if I will have time to post before he finally snaps and says the designs are closed. I haven't read through it properly. It's 1AM. Blame Sensei for all the bad things. Also, damn public designs.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 500