Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Individual Scientists! May 8th 2017 [7/7]  (Read 6059 times)

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Scientists! May 4th 2017 [7/7]
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2017, 04:34:00 am »

Search for a metal dealer, and also do some calculations to see whether a more powerful battery or larger beakers and more electrodes would help the process in any way.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2017, 05:58:44 am »

Jack Flash Actions

Return the programming book to the library and then start making a new app game. This time don't try to get it all done in one day, but simply try to get as much progress as can be made in a single day without overly stressing myself.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2017, 04:12:35 pm »

Buy a crowbar and a can of red spray paint. Use the crowbar to pry off the licence plates and spray the car red.  Check the glove box as well for any valuables.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2017, 04:24:32 pm »

Look up the price of basic supplies needed to alter genes in specific ways, or, at least, to view/read an organism's genes. If the latter can be obtained. spend time looking into the genetics of various brands of potato, as practice. If not, spend time looking for a better job. Any jobs at the museum? How about the zoo?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2017, 05:14:54 pm »

mutant potato
Heh, hah hah, heheheheh, HA HAHA HAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA-HAA HA-HAA!!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2017, 06:10:58 pm »

mutant potato
Heh, hah hah, heheheheh, HA HAHA HAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA-HAA HA-HAA!!
Never once in my post did I say 'mutant potato'. I was considering making a special breed of potato, mass producing them, then offering to sell their secrets to some big company before any...side effects..could be discovered. Potato variants I've considered are chicken-flavored, quick-growing, giant-sized, low nutrition requirements, and spherical.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2017, 07:22:15 pm »

Yes. Yes! YES! Grow my pretties. Grow and spread. Let the potatoes of the world tremble with inadequacy before the new horrors!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Scientists! May 5th 2017 [7/7]
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2017, 12:11:31 am »

EDIT: Super sorry, apparently "tab" on firefox somehow made me post the unfinished update. Actual update will be posted soon-ish.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2017, 01:55:59 am »

@OceanSoul: Just so you know for your future actions, I'm going to be cutting you a lot of slack in terms of "inventing" or otherwise obtaining the things needed for your genetics stuff. So don't worry too much about whatever methods you use to obtain the things. Same goes for everyone really. In fact...

Individual Scientists is more of a "soft sci-fi" game. Basically, the player characters don't necessarily have to abide by the regular laws of reality. Things are much easier for them, and more. See Independent Scientist for things like this - the character made hydrogen fuel cell in less than a week that was potentially one of the best hydrogen fuel cells in existence for its size and fuel requirements. You're all able to do things like that.
Essentially, you abide by the laws of balance, and not reality.

Finally: I just want to state this before it starts actually becoming relevant, but for inventions and the like, I will be using whatever name you refer to it as. It's up to you if you want creative names for your stuff.
May 5th, 2017

Roboson
You learn many fun and cool facts about animals today, but nothing that can be used for science. Learning programming is a bit different. You already know programming, so normally the concepts explained in a book as simple as the one you currently have wouldn't add anything to your knowledge or skill levels. However, excerpts in the Robotics textbook currently possessed by you combined with some tidbits of new information gleamed from the programming book lead to you gaining the knowledge Basic Robotic Programming. The robotic construction ideas discussed in the textbook were ideas that you already knew, and hence you learned nothing new in that department.

You buy Work Tools for $35 and buy 5u Mechanical Bits for $20 at a store once this reading is over with. Yup, mechanical bits also include nuts and bolts and similar items.

As you walk home with your bags full of tools and mechanical bits, you stop at a used electronics store after noticing a "HELP WANTED" sign plastered to the window. Despite how late it's getting at this point, you luckily manage to get a part-time job for the wondrous wage of $4 per day. With this done, you eventually finish walking to your garage and drop the goods on the ground before collapsing onto your "bed".

Tomorrow, you'll earn $4 from your part-time job at an used electronics store.
Spoiler: Roboson (Roboson) (click to show/hide)

Nix
After some time spent searching, you finally find a printer free of charge. You spend some degree of time printing out a number of flyers offering $20 for a 1-hour hypnotism session. Once a stack of flyers is printed, you spend the rest of the day distributing the flyers and attaching them to various objects.
Back at the garage, you study your small collection of books for anything that could be used to practice hypnotism. While there are some mentions that make you confident you'll get the basics, there's nothing that actually helps you improve a basic hypnotism technique. You'll have to use subjects for that, as practicing without a subject is useless.

You also don't receive any subjects today. You just posted the flyers, and any volunteers will likely come tomorrow. You should likely prepare for the experimentation with the volunteers (and also decide how many to accept - $20 is a lot of money!) when the time comes.

Tomorrow, you'll receive subjects (if any) to test hypnotism on for an hour in exchange for $20 to the subject.
You earn $5 from your part-time construction job today.
Spoiler: Nix (NRDL) (click to show/hide)

Jack Flash
The first thing done today is returning the library book. It's a simple affair, and once done, you can focus your attention on other, more important, things.

The scope of the new game is hard to determine off-hand, but you decide a 2-day project would be a good idea to start with. It could take longer if not everything goes as planned, but the day goes well as you work on the game. If nothing goes horribly wrong tomorrow, then the game will be complete.

Spoiler: Jack Flash (Happerry) (click to show/hide)

Billy Quick
You buy a cheap crowbar for $5 at a tools store a whiles away from your garage, and while in the area, you also locate a place selling 2x Cans of Red Spray Paint. You originally intended to only use one can to paint the car, but given the sizes of the cans they were selling and how much you needed, you bought 2 for $8.

With the completely conspicuous goods ready in their bags, you walk back to your home where you begin work on the car. The Stolen New Bounds License Plate is removed and red spray paint is applied to the car using 1.5x Cans of Red Spray Paint. There's still half a can left over for other purposes once you're done painting the car, however. You store the can and admire your newly-red car. It's looking much better, but the license plate is missing and that tends to be suspicious. There's also still the problem of you missing the keys.

Magen E. Tuene
Look up the price of basic supplies needed to alter genes in specific ways, or, at least, to view/read an organism's genes. If the latter can be obtained. spend time looking into the genetics of various brands of potato, as practice. If not, spend time looking for a better job. Any jobs at the museum? How about the zoo?
You decide to spend time at the library computers looking up prices of equipment required to read genes. It's... complicated.
Basically, traditional gene sequencing and modification is something done in an expensive lab. There's a laundry list of equipment required and it's all prohibitively expensive well past the point of you ever being able to afford it in a reasonable time frame.

But, perhaps another method could be devised. You remember that you already have a plethora of skills in mechanical areas, meaning actually making things to help you in your tasks isn't out of the question. You know that a cheap Radiation Emitter is $60, and with the right techniques that could be used to modify DNA. Just buying the radiation emitter wouldn't be enough, but again, with the right ideas...
But viewing DNA is tricky. A basic and old DNA sequencer can cost at least $2,000, which is unreasonable. You'd have to make a lot of money or find an alternative way to make or to obtain one. The New Bounds University may have one? You couldn't just walk in and use it, but that's a starting point. Alternatively, you could make your own, but you have less of an idea where to start on that.

Without the equipment and/or capability to mess with life view the genetics of potatoes, you decide to go looking for a better job at a place like a zoo or perhaps a museum.
After escaping the museum from that particularly angry animal and horrifically failed interview, you instead try the museum. They, unlike the zoo, don't use the "hands-on" approach in their interview and it goes much more smoothingly. You get a job there! It's still part-time, but it's a wage of $6! That's a $1 raise!
You really are moving up in the world.

You receive $5 from your part-time job at a fast-food place, but tomorrow you will start working at the museum where you will earn $6.

Sausest Fage
You begin work on your...
flour bomb.

After some pasta scientific material is made, you actually start.
The coil is made first, with your knowledge of elasticity helping you in this area. A few tests yield a piece of pasta that is sufficiently elastic, and the coiling process manages to go through without breaking it. Tests of it in action prove to be successful - it succesfully disperses its payload in roughly a 1m radius around the coil. The fuse is simple, yet not as functional. Some ingredients supplies are combined to make a basic flammable fuse. Flame tests show that it works but is unreliable in its time to burn - it could be anywhere from instant to five seconds.
The flour explosive payload is the fun part. Of course, it being flour, it won't be this tremendously effective explosive regardless of what you do. But that does not stop you from trying regardless. The end result is a very effective combustion wherever the payload is dispersed. You believe it's enough to inflict serious burns on anyone in the blast area, but nothing near life-threatening. There's no lasting effect but if this was used on something flammable...

You used 4u Culinary Ingredients in your experiments but replicating the result will just take 3u. You have 1x Flour Bomb left-over from testing as well! However, using it is going to be a problem as it requires preservation in a fridge overnight, expires after a week, and delivering it is tricky because of the fuse. The fact that some of the flour falls onto your hands is annoying, but not the end of the world, however.

With all this done, you cackle maniacally! It's an improvement from last time, but there's still work to be done in that area.

You earn $6 from your part-time job at a pasta kitchen.
Spoiler: Sausest Fage (RAM) (click to show/hide)

James "Scrap Lord"
The first half of your day is marked by searching again online and offline for anyone willing to buy your metal. Finally, you find someone willing to buy it. They work at some kind of workshop and tell you they'd be willing to buy formless iron from you for $9/u. You tell them you'll be contact and return home for the second part of today's agenda.

Some very mild experimentation combined with a decent amount of calculation yields some light on improvements for your electrolysis setup. A better battery would probably improve the speed of electrolysis, and beakers would improve the capacity. Ultimately, both aspects of improvement simply allow you to make more formless iron per day at the same rate you've been doing so already. Though perhaps if you were to devise some kind of device to enhance the process? Anywhere from reducing your personal workload to increasing its efficiency somehow would be great benefits for you.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:17:24 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2017, 03:03:14 am »

I refine my fuse for reliability, edibility, and attempt to lower the burning-temperature of the fuse to the point that injuries are unlikely, dubbing it "The Noodley Wick!!" and seek a patent. Then attempt to sell perpetual, non-exclusive usage rights to the shop that I work at such that these specific rights only permit the manufacture and cooking of the pasta within the confines of the current location of the venue.
So basically they can do whatever they want so long as it doesn't leave the property with the expectation that it will be cooked elsewhere, or get produced anywhere else.
My sales-pitch is that it would be great for a decorative piece on special projects.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2017, 03:43:24 am »

Spend the first part of the day inventing Collector Bots using my accumulated materials. Aside from my part time job, spend the rest of the day at various scrap yards collecting with the C-Bot(s).

Collector Bots are semi-automatic semi-autonomous robots designed to seek out the various materials needed for invention.
Spoiler: The Technical Bit (click to show/hide)

I'm willing to put as much of my resources into these as it takes. They're a fair size, and also fairly complex, so I'll leave the materials required up to you. Let me know if I don't have enough.

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2017, 06:28:12 am »

Buy a large set of beakers, search for the price of a water purifier, and then collect some more scrap. If possible try to find a hammer from the scrap yard to use on the formless metal.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2017, 07:37:01 am »

I can't really modify DNA specifically or reliably without being able to read it. So I guess that's a dead end until I can afford, access, or create the proper equipment. The latter would likely require improving a similar or weak piece of equipment, and while the college would give me access, I'm not sure I have the credentials. Find out the cost to take an IQ test, and if it's less than 100 bucks, take it. Make sure I don't get scammed. Also, a little more money won't hurt, so afterward, apply as a test subject for Nix.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2017, 08:03:15 am »

Jack Flash Actions

Finish the game up, if possible, and if not just do as much work as is possible for the rest of the day. If the game finishes up early enough to go do anything else, go look for a decent junkyard from which electronic parts can be salvaged and see if any of said electronic parts can be salvaged.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2017, 01:21:50 pm »

1. Continue working hard at my part-time job, try to put my new knowledge of human behaviour to use, subtly influencing my coworkers into liking and listening to me.

2. Attempt to use hypnosis and suggestion techniques on myself, attempt to build self-confidence and calm using auto-suggestion. Write any effects down, for future reference.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7