Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves don't recover a wounded dwarf  (Read 17840 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Dwarves don't recover a wounded dwarf
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:26:24 pm »

During a goblin siege a civilian gemcutter who had hunting enabled decided to go hunting. He encountered a goblin and fought him. After a long fight the gemcutter was severely wounded (can't move at the moment) and a military squad killed this goblin who was also the last one of the invaders.

The normal civilian dwarves have no burrow restrictions, several of them have no job, yet they won't go out into the field to recover the wounded gemcutter. I've looked up the relationships of the gemcutter, it shows no relationships to any other dwarves, just a deity. I later sent somebody to build a statue next to the place where the wounded gemcutter is lying to take notice of the wounded dwarf. I even made the wounded gemcutter a member of a squad and let one other member of this squad to station next to him. This dwarf soldier stood two tiles away from the wounded one when I cancelled the station order. Then he stood there having no job for a while before he decided to walk away and do his individual combat drill again.

This is where I saved this. Do you guys experienced anything like that? Is that a bug? How can I save the wounded gemcutter? He already got thirsty.

The savegame is here.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:50:31 am by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves don't recover a wounded dwarf
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:17:38 pm »

Do you have a hospital with free beds?

This may not work, but try creating a meeting zone over the wounded dwarf.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:15 pm »

Try disabling every other job except for "feed patients/prisoners" and "recover wounded" for 1-2 dwarves.

And yes, I had some soldiers left incapacited in the field after a siege. They would lie in the dirt for weeks. Dwarves went there and gave them water and food, but only some were carried back to my hospital and it took a while. One guy died because of that neglection.

As for the reason... dunno. Being unpopular probably doesnīt help. But in general the priority to haul wounded dwarves who canīt stand/walk anymore to the hospital seems to be a bit low.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:18:04 am »

To add to this, don't just disable jobs on some random dwarf and expect them to pick up wounded. Look at their personality. A dwarf who "doesn't go out of their way to help others" will do almost anything but pick up wounded, and if they do, they get a bad thought from having to do it. Choose dwarves who like helping others to be your nurses.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:30:12 am »

If you are desperate enough, you can try building a roof over that area (so it's 'inside' - walls optional but can be safer if it's a high risk place) and building a field hospital right around him, and hope that the docs will go to work on him.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 03:52:14 am »

Yea, Healthcare is one of the few places where Dorf Personality really play into weather or not they'll actually do their job and you'll notice.

Most other jobs, it means they do their work at different paces and take different break increments for different lengths.

But for Doctors/Nurses, you gotta pick Dorfs, who want to help others, and or have good work ethic.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 03:59:17 am »

I'm looking at the save.  The wounded dwarf in question has 'no job' instead of rest.  This may be part of the issue.  The hospital's quite well stocked.  There's plenty of dwarves able/willing to recover wounded, and dozens of them without jobs.  It's possible that fractured lung is a triage issue - maybe he's so close to death that he isn't 'worth' tending.  Am fiddling with things to try and save, will report any useful news if I find any tricks that work.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 04:03:49 am »

Found 'a' solution, worked once so far.  Create a new squad, make Risen a member of it, and station him, then unstation him.  He returns to 'no job' instead of rest, but someone ran to recover him after that.

As he is being carried in, another dwarf is rushing towards him with a bucket, and tracking him as he is being carried - apparently he had 'become forgotten' by the code, but changing his status worked to get him noticed again.  Probably worth reporting as a bug (though this is an older version save, so the bug may have already been fixed).

Once in the hospital he went to normal 'rest' status and got diagnosed and treatment started just like normal.  Bad news is he appears to have two infections, good news is you didn't do anything wrong (as I bet you guessed) in trying to tend him - your medical set up is perfectly adequate to attempt medical care for anyone hurt if it doesn't bug out on you.

Useful to know about the 'station' work around for this bug.  I'd not known about that before I started trying to mess with this, but I'm sure going to use it again if I run into this bug myself!

.... Checked to make sure I could reproduce the fix.

I take back all of the above (save that you're not doing anything wrong,  and that this is a bug).

I cannot tell why, but during the 2nd of Hematite (and it's not right as the day changes, but a few seconds into that day), someone will get a recover wounded job.  It is NOT always the same dwarf going to recover him.  Nor is it always a 'helpful' traited dwarf.  And it's clearly not about jobs or the no job tag - though the hurt Risen still has his no job tag.

It doesn't matter if I station Risen or not.  Tried 5 times, 3 of them without doing 'anything' but letting time run down, the other two with stationing Risen - made no difference to the timing.

Interestingly, someone's already bringing Risen water when the save starts, 'Ironman' is off to get a bucket.  Hope this helps, dunno any fixes, sorry!  Hope you report it and offer the save to study.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:33:25 am by Imp »

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 04:55:30 am »

Thank you for your answers, special thanks to Imp who looked at the case thoroughly. I guess I'll just wait and see. I posted this as a tentative bug report.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:20:58 am by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

hinric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 08:46:30 pm »

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I had a similar problem to this one, with one added difficulty: The dwarf to be recovered was already in the hospital area. In fact, he was lying right next to a free hospital bed, but noone could be bothered to help.

He was a military dwarf, and I'm pretty sure this happened because his squad was ordered to kill a goblin after he had been wounded (and dragged nearly back to a hospital bed bed). Maybe the 'recover wounded' job is cancelled if the squad receives new orders, and not renewed if the new orders aren't cancelled? (In my case, the goblin in question was killed, so the order did not need to be cancelled.)

The solution was to unzone the square of the hospital where the dwarf was lying, issue his squad a 'move' order, and then (after a few ticks) cancel the order.

Since this is the thread I found when googling the problem, I figured if anyone else gets the same problem, this is the thread they'll find. Hence the thread resurrecting.
v0.34.11, BTW.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:48:13 pm by hinric »

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 08:24:48 am »

Unless the dwarf in question is actually unconscious, other dwarfs will ignore hir, expecting hir to make hir own way to a hospital bed.

From the Wiki:

"Recover wounded", "Give food" and "Give water" are low priority jobs, so it is entirely possible for a patient to starve to death, dehydrate to death, or bleed to death if no one ever gets "unbusy" enough to bring them food, water, or move them to the hospital.

My anecdotal experience confirms this.  It often takes a few days of idling before a dwarf will decide to pick up a wounded countryman and haul hir to the hospital.

This may or may not be a bug; I don't know whether Toady intends for dwarfs to actually care about the wounded and sick.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 04:45:50 am »

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I had a similar problem to this one, with one added difficulty: The dwarf to be recovered was already in the hospital area. In fact, he was lying right next to a free hospital bed, but noone could be bothered to help.

He was a military dwarf, and I'm pretty sure this happened because his squad was ordered to kill a goblin after he had been wounded (and dragged nearly back to a hospital bed bed). Maybe the 'recover wounded' job is cancelled if the squad receives new orders, and not renewed if the new orders aren't cancelled? (In my case, the goblin in question was killed, so the order did not need to be cancelled.)

The solution was to unzone the square of the hospital where the dwarf was lying, issue his squad a 'move' order, and then (after a few ticks) cancel the order.

Since this is the thread I found when googling the problem, I figured if anyone else gets the same problem, this is the thread they'll find. Hence the thread resurrecting.
v0.34.11, BTW.

Playing 43.03 and I can confirm that this bug still exists. I had a military dwarf in the barracks training and got injured (lost ability to walk). He was lying in the hospital area next to bed (not sure how he got there from barracks) and was never recovered/taken to bed. He was there on the hospital zone floor for ages but noone cared. After I unzoned the hospital tile where he was he was taken care of/to bed the same moment. I am sure it's a bug where hospital zones don't check if injured dwarfs are actualy in bed or not and therefore are not recovered/taken to bed if they are in hospital zone on the floor and can't move. Please someone report this and let devs know that hospital zone should check if "injured-not able to walk" dwarfs are in beds or not and if not they should be recovered/taken to bed.

Just na FYI I tried all tricks described in this forum thread and none worked untill I unzoned the hospital tile. And all the conditions were tried out as well like several doctors and only recover enabled etc. Nothing worked so it's definitely a hospital zone bug.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 05:59:44 pm »

You're probably better off adding a note to the bug on the tracker than necroing a 5 year old thread.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=94

Last comment (three years after anyone posted here) indicates Toady thinks it should be fixed now. Quickly upload a save showing it's not.

Don't just ask other people to do it, you're the one with the evidence. Most of the time it works, it could be years before anyone encounters this bug again.

--edit
Might be this one too (also believed to have been fixed):

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8374
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:07:48 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 01:42:01 am »

Tnx for your reply Shonai! Failry new to DF here but I do what I can to help out. A few hours later I went on and read the changes log and found out that in 43.04 (I play on 43.03) has this bug addressed.
 Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed error deciding when patients should be moved

I guess/hope I raised the alarm for nothing this time :)