Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Major Renovations  (Read 988 times)

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Major Renovations
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:57:24 am »

Just found out the hard way that invaders can climb diagonally backward over fortifications and thus get over my walls. After double checking the wiki I guess I need a floor built overhanging the wall, then the fortification built adjacent to that.
Question is, when dealing with over 100 fortification tiles that all need to come down, is there an easy way? Or do I need to designate a fortifications for deconstruction and wait the eternity it takes until complete?
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Major Renovations
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 11:15:18 am »

Cave the entire fort in, that goes the fastest. Otherwise. The hard way.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 12:14:38 pm »

When you mass-designate deconstruction, the mob of dwarfs will take it down fairly quick. All those slackers that say they aren't idle but are actually chatting in the tavern, they'll come over.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 01:48:50 pm »

Yeah I'll bite the bullet. I'm just wary because when I do a single tile deconstruction it takes way longer than a regular build. I've got fewer dwarves this time than I planned, and I know the next werebeast attack is only a month away.
Follow up question: can enemies jump up diagonally to catch the fortification?

Here's the new wall defense I'm planning:

F_
~   W
 |__|

Maybe that's hard to understand from my phone.
Basically a two tile wide, one tile deep dry moat to a wall.
The wall has a floor tile protruding out and a fortification out from that.
So there is effectively a one tile gap from the ground to the fortification, albeit diagonal.
Is that a bad defense?
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 04:00:11 pm »

I'm no expert on these keeping out climbers. I don't like open-air anything. In the wiki's Climbing Safety section here, it appears your wall is safe because of these statements, "Any combination of floors/fortifications/walls works for the top, as long as they protrude out at least two tiles." and "Creatures cannot jump up z-levels." But if there are any trees within range, they may help climbers get in.

Maybe you should put a dozen poults in the front lawn as a distraction?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 07:24:05 pm »

Just build your aboveground fort like a bunker. Floor over the entire structure with no hatches or other access at the top. Build ramps to the top if you like they cannot get in unless you forgot to build floors over your fortifications.

Force seigers to run a trap gauntlet.

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 02:41:42 am »

I build like Rusty suggests - fort is completely sealed from the outside except for drawbridge access, and those bridges lead to weapon-trap hell.  However I also like to build retracting bridges for the large roof sections, like a Skydome; fresh air and sunlight is nice, and they add a ton of architectural value.  As far as marksdwarf safety is concerned, they need to be completely bottled up or they WILL leapfrog the fortifications, and/or that one elite lasher will somehow find his way onto the ramparts.  Completely sealed roof, overhangs to prevent climbing, extension marksdwarf positions for field-of-fire covering drawbridge/door access, and if you're super paranoid (or if your dwarves are extra suicidal), double-thick fortifications and only elite marksdwarves, to prevent any dodge-related shenanigans.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 04:16:15 am »

For controlling archers...an excerpt from the wiki on fortifications "During combat, dodging creatures can move into a statue tile. Dwarves will immediately step out of the statue tile once they recover their bearings. This detail can make statues useful in a danger room, by providing more space for training dwarves to practice dodging without requiring massive numbers of training spears and mechanisms. Statues may also prove useful in archer emplacements to control where your dwarves normally stand, but still allow them a chance to dodge incoming fire. "

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 05:14:12 pm »

Wiki could use a textual update: since danger rooms are now actually dangerous in 43.05 they're less useful as training rooms :(

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 05:20:05 pm »

Yep best method of training now is sparring which dwarves will only do if assigned to a two dorf squad