Poll

Which embark should we pick?

Embark 1: The Lonely Island
Embark 2: The Crowded Coast
Embark 3: The Mirthful Glacier
Embark 4: The Dry Desert
Embark 5: The New Cape

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The Tales of Crowdedcoast, a Colonial Fortress{Always looking for new Governors}  (Read 14427 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile

Welcome to The Tales of [UNNAMED], a Colonial Fortress.
Welcome to Ospazzûza, a divided world.

For as long as dwarfkind remembers, the world has been grand, yet empty. All significant civilization is densely clustered, forming two large slabs of light within the darkness: The Sprawling South and the Northern Nations

Yet, tensions are rising. Fortresses, hamlets and forest retreats alike fall to the powers of evil, legions of greenskins and armies of the dead. Thus, the King has decided it is time to found a new Fortress. A safe haven for people fleeing warfare, starvation and torture. A colony.

And you are in charge.

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Turn list:
1. Lord_Lemonpie (1)(2)(3)
2. Mate888
3. FakerFangirl (4)
4. Methereal42
5. Alpha Loves You (5)(6)(7)(8 )
6. Mate888
7. Lord_lemonpie(9)
8. FakerFangirl
9. Alpha loves you
10. scourge728
11.TheImmortalRyukan
12. Moonstone_flower
13. Maximum Spin

Hall of fame:
Prophet, Captain of the Guard:
A dwarf defined by his strong feeling for arbitrary justice, benevolent cruelty and unobeying disciplines. He serves the crown with his immense military prowess and is ever eager to strike down any misbehaving dwarf right where they stand.

Saves:
End of Lord_Lemonpie's turn: Herbalist Accident Galore
End of FakerFangirl's turn: Swift and Efficient.
End of Alpha Loves You's turn: Baby Boom
End of Lord_Lemonpie's second turn: Unfinished Business
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:35:09 pm by Lord_lemonpie »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was chosen to be the new governor. Only seven of us were to depart to a site of our choosing, and found a mighty colony.

One that would withstand the sieges of our many enemies. One that would withstand the powerful forces of nature dwelling on the surface of the world and beneath. One that would withstand the churning of time itself.

It would be a journey full of hardships to a location far away and unsettled. They might not even see other civilized dwarfs ever again. The circumstances could be great, yet terrible too. Possibly the uncivilized natives would attack, or the freakish weather would freeze and burn. And always remained the threat of monsters, large and small.

Yet I looked forward to it. Forward to freedom from the burdens of overpopulation. Of famine, disease and war. Of imminent death. The new fortress would be safe and sound, protecting us from what lurked outside the walls. We would finally have a worthy home. A safe place to live. A new beginning.

I scoured over the five files the high nobility had laid out in front of me. The king, together with his dukes and barons, had chosen 5 possible sites for us to settle, all having their own strengths and weaknesses.

The first embark they offered us was odd, to say the least. An entirely unsettled island, yet larger than one would expect. No natives, at least that we were aware of. And whilst this meant a lot to our safety, it would also mean there would not be anyone to trade with, and migrants would be a rare sight.

The second suggestion seemed its polar opposite, a settlement in the southeastern continent. Incredibly crowded with a variety of races, especially elves and humans. Rumors even spoke of surface-dwarfs and walking corpses. Not the safest choice, but at least it could connect our empire to the rest of the world, and vice versa.

The third was something entirely different. A frozen waste up north, far from much but not entirely remote. Even though entirely frozen, the few that had visited it described it as "mirthful", a good sign.

The fourth again seemed a polar opposite of its predecessor, the lifelessness of their surface the only thing they had in common. This hot desert not far from the main settlements of the Sprawling South had been an eyesore for centuries, as settling it was nigh-impossible. The arid environment killed most of what lived there, and thus it remained empty as ever.

The last embark seemed to be the most mundane. A somewhat remotely situated cape, yet not too far from civilization to be completely deserted. Other than that, it does not seem to be anything special.

Not knowing which one to pick, I looked at the dwarfs behind me, showing them the details of all 5 sites. After a lengthy discussion, we all started contemplating, and finally brought out our vote.

Which do you vote for?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:04:07 pm by Lord_lemonpie »

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile

Is this vanilla DF?
If so count me in!
I vote for the tower one. Let's rev up those trapmaking skills.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this vanilla DF?
If so count me in!
I vote for the tower one. Let's rev up those trapmaking skills.
Yep, it's ought to be completely unmodded.

I've signed you up for the second turn!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:44:56 am by Lord_lemonpie »

methereal42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Can absolute newbs join?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Don't want a turn as a governor, but could I please be dorfed?

Name: Nix

Once you get all the mining you want done, could you please put my pick-axe wielding dorf in the military? Thanks.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've added a poll to determine which embark we should pick, only I'm unable to get mate888's vote counted so I politely request you to vote in it.

Don't want a turn as a governor, but could I please be dorfed?

Name: Nix

Once you get all the mining you want done, could you please put my pick-axe wielding dorf in the military? Thanks.
I'll dwarf you as soon as we start! Not sure if I myself will be done mining in my turn but I'll make sure you end up in the military.

methereal42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Alright then sign me up :) for the 4th position. I put my vote.
I'dlike to be dorfed too please: Methereal, male, any occupation.
And would you please upload the save file or the legends.xml? I'd like to read the history so I can write better than I play XD.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright then sign me up :) for the 4th position. I put my vote.
I'dlike to be dorfed too please: Methereal, male, any occupation.
And would you please upload the save file or the legends.xml? I'd like to read the history so I can write better than I play XD.
I've added you at the 4th position. Here's the save, you should be able to jump into legends right away. I'll dwarf you when I start.

We'll probably pick the second embark, as it has the most votes now, but I'll wait until the evening to actually start.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube

Yep, it's ought to be completely unmodded.

I've signed you up for the second turn!
Excellent! Sign me up for the elections (governorship). I can improve the economy and construct some great defenses... And we'll make the goblins pay for it!
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The decision was not unanimous, but in the end a majority voted for settling amidst the natives of the Rythmic Prairies. Some preferred the safety of the Lonely Island, others decided they would be better off in the high north, amidst walls of ice and rock. Yet most of us wished to not abandon civilization alltogether. Thus, we headed out on the first of Granite, marching for our new home. Crowdedcoast we had named it, a name befitting of a location so heavily populated. Time to strike the earth!

16th of Granite, 124;
We finally arrived, having departed a little over two weeks ago. And Gods, the land is unlike anything I've seen before. Trees and plants litter the surface where ever one looks. Animals unlike anything we have ever seen: gargantuan shelled reptiles that crawl slowly on their four legs, long-necked hooved herbivores reaching to the treetops, and marvelously-coloured fish that taste wonderfully. And then there's the ocean. None of us had ever seen it before, not even Nix, one of our miners, and Methereal, our stoneworker. We marveled for what seemed like hours, just taking in the beauty of it all. But, we still needed to build a shelter, as merely a wagon would not be sufficient to keep us safe from the dangers of the outside. And thus, we started digging.

What a humongous mistake.

Apparently, the soil of this land is laced with a never-ending source of water. I have never encountered anything like it, but I will need to find a way to get past it. For what is a dwarf without rock?

Slate 20th, 124;
It took several attempts, but we have finally been able to breach this layer of water Nix refers to as an "Aquifer". It wasn't that deep, and using a contraption of my devising we were easily able to get a plug inside the water, allowing us to safely tunnel through it. Right underneath the layer we found clay, and then some wonderful limestone! The other attempts have been hastily covered up, and we have started constructing a tiny fort around our entrance. The wooden thing is far from glorious, but it will serve its purpose well.

Nix standing atop the "plug" he had just dug out

Slate 28th, 124;
The weather is lovely, the moderate sunshine of spring paired with the cooling breeze of the ocean. We've been continuing the construction of the small keep, and the first layer has been finished! Atop the roof of the construction, I found five of my comrades dozing away, enjoying the marvelous weather. We have not relaxed like this in ages. This colony truly is a blessing.

Lemonpie constructing a floor as five of his comrades snooze around him

Felsite 28th, 124;
Time has gone by in a breeze. We've been digging and building all day for an entire month. We're currently working on the third, and highest floor of the tower around our entrance, and we've dug out some basic workshops too. Nothing of interest has happened, and we are all glad for it. Living as careless as we do now is a rarity, a treasure we must cherish. I pray to the Gods every day that it might last.

A schematical representation of our first workshops and stockpiles.

FakerFangirl, I've added you to the list of governors.
I've dwarfed Nix as a miner, Methereal as the general stoneworker and myself as the expedition leader and fisherdwarf.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile

Oh I like the design.
I think I'll dwarf myself once my turn begins, just in case I die before it.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

19th of Galena, 124:
Summer has gone by in a breeze. We've finally finished the top floor and roof of our outer fortress, myself having the honour to build the last floor. We have also begun digging out some stockpiles for the more widely used resources, such as wood and rock. They are conveniently placed underneath the first of our workshops, and several stairs leading upwards connect them, allowing for swift transport. We do realize, however, that our initial stockpiles meant to take the finished goods and other objects produced by our workshops, are somewhat small. We might need to construct an additional set of them.

Our forces were reinforced by some new migrants! The location of the colony is kept somewhat of a secret, so it were only a few of them.
Spoiler: Migrants: Summer 124 (click to show/hide)

16th of Limestone, 124:
I did not even know autumn had started yet, when I saw the wagons of our merchants approaching in the distance. Their wagons were loaded from top to bottom, containing the finest goods. We, however, had little to sell, so I immediately ordered some stone crafts to be made and gave our Jewelers the order to quickly cut all raw Jade and Red Tourmaline we had. We've also struck several fat veins of native gold ore! A wonderful gift from the Gods, as it will ensure our continuous prosperity. If only we could also locate some weapons grade metal, then we would be set for life.

Traders from the mountainhome, displaying their goods on our petrified wood trade depot

The gems and crafts were traded for a variety of goods: from armor and weaponry to gypsum plaster and sheets of parchment. We've currently got enough weaponry and armor to sufficiently clad about two dwarfs in bronze and copper. Footpieces are missing though, sadly enough. At the time the merchant's left, I suddenly received an odd message. "A liaison has left unhappy". As the expedition leader, it had been my own duty to meet the man, and I took the blame solely for myself. Yet, my very own dwarfs almost immediately took my place.

Though, it did not appear I was replaced because they were discontent. No, something entirely different was the case.

Whoops.

I have no recollection of what happened, but it turned out I had gone missing. I am still unable to find my own corpse, and it is a mystery where it might lie. I have truly looked everywhere. Anyways, I somehow am still able to order my dwarfs around, as long as my ethereal form lasts. After I fade away, however, I will leave governorship to the next in line.

3rd of Timber, 124:
New migrants have arrived! Only two of them came though, a married couple. We still welcomed them with open arms, but we had expected more. But we have more important issues to take care of. Not all took lightly to me going missing, especially not my friend, Iden the herbalist.

He hospitalized his colleague and himself. They are currently recovering in the small hospital I've ordered to be dug out next to the sleeping quarters. They will both be fine though, I am glad it was not his colleague that had thrown a tantrum, as he was assigned to woodcutting duty.

Spoiler: Migrants: Summer 124 (click to show/hide)

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

Sign me up, i'll take 5th turn
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8