Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have a verbal job offer, but when do I give 2 weeks notice?  (Read 1497 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Please do not quote

I have a verbal job offer saying "it's official." I filled out paperwork for taxes, shook my supervisor's hand, looked at where I'll be working, parking pass application, passed the drug test, medical test clearance, and all that. I even have a start date

I just don't have a final written offer, and the same HR lady who said "it's official," told me that she'd try to send it this week. It's Thursday....

My supervisor knows all this and he's actually pretty awesome about it. We're both waiting on the actual written final letter....

I want to be a good person generally where possible and polite if I can. I also don't want to burn any bridges, especially for the other temps in the place I'm leaving. More or less, I don't want to be a jerk. I ... am not entirely sure what to put here. This is perhaps the only good thing to happen in my life in years and I don't want to be a jerk or anything.

I also don't want to end up screwed.

Honest suggestions?

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: I have a verbal job offer, but when do I give 2 weeks notice?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:32:44 pm »

What, your current supervisor? If he knows, it sounds like you've already given notice.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:39:27 pm »

Yeah, but what's amazing is how cool he's being about it.

He's said he's going to keep completely quiet about it until I say so. He knew when I did the interview, the med testing etc. Also he gave me a special project he couldn't trust anybody else with and I nailed it after that. I'm kind of amazed about this guy in a good way.

He's literally the only person at my current place who knows, including the higher ups. Ultimately this is gonna change but yeah. When?

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 07:45:32 pm »

I would be upfront with him, explain that this new place has been giving you a bit of the reach around, and just to be safe, you'd like to wait until you receive written confirmation.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 07:47:39 pm »

What kind of job is this, that you have right now? If it's one where you only really report to your supervisor, then I guess give him a written notice after you get your employment offer in writing.

To be honest, I don't think you can mess this up. The only thing I can see going wrong is if you're not just important but the keystone employee, and someone above your supervisor reacts by offering you some sort of extreme promotion to stay (I've heard of this happening on occasion), in which case I guess you'll have a choice to make.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 09:08:12 pm »

Let's just say the last person at new place is rumored to have massively botched things. I don't know if I can put out fires fast enough. Here's hoping.

Please don't quote me.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 11:51:49 am »

What kind of job is this, that you have right now? If it's one where you only really report to your supervisor, then I guess give him a written notice after you get your employment offer in writing.

To be honest, I don't think you can mess this up. The only thing I can see going wrong is if you're not just important but the keystone employee, and someone above your supervisor reacts by offering you some sort of extreme promotion to stay (I've heard of this happening on occasion), in which case I guess you'll have a choice to make.
Pretty much this.

Also, good luck!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 01:15:19 pm »

I've heard of HR people who enthusiastically say they're going to hire you but then decide they won't and, just to be extra shitty, go ahead and try to avoid you so that they don't need to explain to you why they screwed you over. Might be useful to check if the HR person in question is dodging calls and emails, because if so that might be a really bad sign.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 01:41:05 pm »

I seem to be getting the impression that the final letter is a formality.

They are talking about possibly making comped hotel arrangements for me to travel to orientation, in addition to all the new hire paperwork I signed as put forth in OP. Both old and new supervisor(s) know this.

My usually extremely cautious self is reluctantly starting to view the mounting evidence of this being real as something to really consider as true. I'm somewhat shocked. I understand a large (government) organization hedging its bets or being otherwise bogged down, but it just seems a little odd.

Essentially every single sign points to "yes" and even old supervisor agrees, "it doesn't get much more official than that."

Please don't quote me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 11:28:04 pm »

Employers are not in the business of just giving out money. If they are paying for lodging fees to secure your employment, then either they are insane, or they are serious.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 11:13:50 am »

Whatever the case, best of luck at the new place!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 08:49:34 pm »

Thank you all for the support. Not long left at the old place.

The new place seems to want me, though amazingly, still no final offer letter.

They've said they're going to comp a hotel room for me overnight, though they haven't told me exactly which one.

I don't think this particular organization can screw with me in this manner, and I'm pretty cautious about this stuff. Multiple people have said I'm in, and stuff like "it doesn't get much more official than this."

Still nerve wracking. Although somewhat feeling a little better. Maybe this might be part of the mess I'll be cleaning up?

Please don't quote me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 11:20:11 am »

CHeers Truey! :)
THe nervousness is normal. Nerves are akin to an indicator referencing experience--possible failure or otherwise, it's a normal reaction. \o/
Cheers to you however! :D