Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cat-Sacks and Frustrating levels of near perfection  (Read 902 times)

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
Cat-Sacks and Frustrating levels of near perfection
« on: May 21, 2017, 07:53:23 pm »

So, around about 2008, DF's random name generator informed me that my Group Name would be The Legendary Cat-sacks, and the fortress was named The Trumpet of Eviscerating. The first Mood in that fortress produced a green glass....something, I forget what exactly, but it was made out of green glass, had cat bone spikes and an image of cats in some kind of dubiously-survivable situation. It was nearly a decade ago, I don't remember the exact details anymore.

Since then, every single Fortress I've played has been named The <adjective> Cat-sacks, and I've tried to defend it using cats and glass as much as is feasibly possible.

Thus, it was with great delight that I discovered a great many changes since the last time I played. My newest group, The Unbridled Cat-Sacks, were overjoyed at how easy it was to pick their banner image. The artwork is a finely-designed image of a dwarf and a cat. The cat is being flayed by the dwarf. Their coat of arms is being added to everything, and probably sooner than I really should. I've certainly never cared about decorating things before now.

I was also delighted to discover during the first trading session that my craftsdwarf has been obsessively carving figurines related to the heroic tree-snuggler who tamed bobcats. You can surely imagine my expression when I noticed that I could commission statues of that noble figure and event! The details tab is a thing of pure beauty and joy.

Clearly, I need to set up a temple to this divine being. I have set up a butcher and tanner shop where I could sacrifice cats in his honor, alongside a workshop for decorating things in cat bone and another one for making cat-leather armor.

Cat-leather, to be clear, includes lion leather, bobcat leather, cougar leather, etc. Right now, it's just an imported leather industry.

Question 1: Does anyone have any advice on the best ways to develop a thriving cat-leather industry?

Question 2: Is there any way to scan the historical data for more cat-related events?
String-searches have revealed a number of other local dwarven governments with "sack" in their name, including The Complex Sacks, The Gleeful Sacks, The Sack of Tusks, and even a human group named the Coalition of Sacks. And I can look up people with "cat," "leopard," or "lion" in their name, but what I'm looking for is stories of people killing cats. The best I've been able to come up with is to just limit my crafting to figurines, for more historical info.

Question 3: Once I specify a statue/figurine/cloth image to be repeated, how do I check what it's been set to?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to ensure the cat-leather will be decorated with cat-bone, and I'm just not importing enough of it to justify ignoring all other sources of leather.

On a related note, I've opened up my tavern, and one of my first guests is a bobcat-man. So, now I'm wondering. Do bobcat-men count as cats? And if so......?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:59:39 pm by Romeofalling »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cat-Sacks and Frustrating levels of near perfection
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:14:28 pm »

Whatever you've got dreamed up for your Bobcat man probably won't work due to dorf ethics.

Sadly it also won't work if you change dorf ethics right now due to a bug making everyone too ethical.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 11:04:39 pm »

Are goblins too ethical too? Polite Fortress?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:34:06 pm »

Are goblins too ethical too? Polite Fortress?
They're not supposed to be, the ethics raws clearly allow it, but the game currently refuses to let them eat their mates or carve them into totems right now. Sad time to be a gobbo. Elves too, but they can starve for all I care...