Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3509 3510 [3511]

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3535264 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52650 on: March 26, 2024, 02:55:18 am »

Not politics, exactly, but close.

Mass casualty event in Baltimore - a container ship struck a major bridge, which has partially collapsed. Multiple vehicles reported in the water.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52651 on: March 26, 2024, 05:27:09 pm »

It's... not exactly a bright side, but apparently it happened around like one in the morning, so traffic was pretty light. There's definitely some fatalities, but at least from what I can tell it's possible it's not even double digit, and likely if it is, it's fairly low in them. It's. Not a good thing, but if the timing had been different it could have been a lot worse.

... though it's definitely going to be a political issue fairly quickly. From what I've picked up the repercussions are going to be shutting down one of the largest ports in the US for weeks at a minimum, possibly for multiple months, on top of obviously enough stopping traffic through the bridge (which is one of the major transit veins for baltimore). The economic impact going to be pretty damn substantial.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52652 on: March 26, 2024, 07:26:32 pm »

I... did I read the same news as the rest of you? From what I saw, there was only a road crew on the road (which was maybe closed, but reports are unclear), a total of eight people, of which, last I knew (having read about it at noon), two had been rescued by midday (although one was hospitalized), for a total of six (maybe seven if that guy is unlucky) probable fatalities. Not exactly a "mass casualty event", and no commuters were involved.

Of course, yes, the impact on the port and on transportation is another story. It's probable that the bridge itself will essentially never be rebuilt, and who knows how long the port will be closed for, meaning that anything happening to road traffic could effectively isolate Baltimore from world trade. In things like "food" for which cities have a prompt need.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #52653 on: March 26, 2024, 10:14:59 pm »

From the BBC News articles, it seems they managed to stop the civilian traffic in the two minutes between when the mayday was issued and the collision happened, but there was still a road crew on the bridge at the time of collision and six of them unfortunately likely perished in the water.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 10:16:59 pm by MorleyDev »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52654 on: March 27, 2024, 05:17:34 am »

I... did I read the same news as the rest of you? From what I saw, there was only a road crew on the road (which was maybe closed, but reports are unclear), a total of eight people, of which, last I knew (having read about it at noon), two had been rescued by midday (although one was hospitalized), for a total of six (maybe seven if that guy is unlucky) probable fatalities. Not exactly a "mass casualty event", and no commuters were involved.

When the news was initially reported, it was believed that twenty or more cars had gone into the water with their occupants. Authorities were fearing dozens of deaths.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 3509 3510 [3511]