Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 22663 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #375 on: January 31, 2019, 09:37:16 am »

Tackling social issues typically isn't profitable in terms of short term quarters, so pill prescriptions it is.

Again, I have to ask: what, from the perspective of individual patients and care providers, is your alternative? You can't prescribe someone with low pregnenolone some friends or a better society any more than you can prescribe "having avoided allergens" to someone currently suffering from anaphylactic shock. You can tell them to do that going forward, to be sure, but it would be irresponsible not to treat patients with the quickest and most reliable means available, particularly when faced with ongoing risks of dangerous sequelae. Drugs may be offensive to you for being profitable, but they're profitable because they're more effective and faster than complaining.

Plus which, while drug prices are a gigantic problem with the American health care system, medical research isn't one of the causes, except in the trivial sense that if drugs didn't exist we couldn't sell them. Surely the problem is that poor people can't have the drugs they need, not that rich people can, all edgy posturing aside. Yes, FDA approval is too expensive. Yes, courting doctors is profitable and can also lead to overperscription. Yes, hospital chargemasters are insanely inflated. All those things can and should be addressed, but none of them are the fault of academia -- and while there are problems with how academic medical research is incentivized, an American preference for effective medicine is not one of them.

Nobody's making you take the pills, though, so if you really want to screw Big Pharma out of all the profit you can, you're absolutely free to switch to organic homeopathic vegan open-source sustainable free-range placebos.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:44:37 am by Trekkin »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 31, 2019, 09:50:09 am »

Still better than Japan's "friends and family rentals."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/30/japans-rent-a-family-industry

Two years ago, Kazushige Nishida, a Tokyo salaryman in his sixties, started renting a part-time wife and daughter. His real wife had recently died. Six months before that, their daughter, who was twenty-two, had left home after an argument and never returned.

I don't think this is necessarily something we should be mocking. Lots of cultural things we take from granted as acceptable and going to seem weird to any other culture. Japanese are far more outright disgusted / freaked out that western people wear shoes in the house and even put their dirty outdoor shoes up on furniture, beds etc.

BTW often, how the West interacts with Japanese culture, what the West takes away, and what it ignores says more about the West's values than Japanese values: We think hiring companions is weird and screwed-up, but if you're paying to fuck them, it's perfectly normal.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:05:14 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 31, 2019, 10:03:54 am »

BTW often, how the West interacts with Japanese culture, what the West takes away, and what it ignores says more about the West's values than Japanese values: We think hiring companions is weird and screwed-up, but if you're paying to fuck them, it's perfectly normal.
Gods no, prostitution? Prostitution is amoral and illegal in all the civilized countries!

You need to film the act in order for it to be okay.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
  • [Social_Democrat_Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 31, 2019, 01:58:12 pm »

What it actually resembles more is a kind of therapy. Ironically, prostitutes are frequently hired by people who just want to have a therapeutic interaction and not a sexual one.
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate to suffering"

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 31, 2019, 02:09:26 pm »

I can't fault anyone for 'renting' a family, though the idea is strange to me. Family is a hugely important part of life imo, and one which many people don't have.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 31, 2019, 02:17:53 pm »

I don't know why you'd want more than what you already have to put up with, let alone PAY for the privilege, but that's me.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 31, 2019, 02:21:27 pm »

I don't know why you'd want more than what you already have to put up with, let alone PAY for the privilege, but that's me.

I think the idea is that if you're unsatisfied with them, you can fire them, so they have an incentive to be an unrealistically caring family.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 31, 2019, 02:40:12 pm »

"You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family." Unless you can get either from a catalogue.

(Given the generational demographics of Japan, and various social effects developing alongside these, I'm not surprised it's happening. We've probably just as many occidental peculiarities, but we don't see them because we're deep within them. I suspect many a Hikikomori (the opposite issue, maybe, although they also (or their families, on their behalf) also hire 'big sisters', etc) doesn't see their situation as strange.)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 31, 2019, 02:42:26 pm »

You US people are quite happy to hire people to act as mothers to your children while you're at work.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 31, 2019, 02:50:37 pm »

You US people are quite happy to hire people to act as mothers to your children while you're at work.
You watch your tongue, young man! Eric was a wonderful wetnurse!

I think the idea is that if you're unsatisfied with them, you can fire them, so they have an incentive to be an unrealistically caring family.
If you can get rid of them that easily, you're clearly not getting an authentic experience. You should ask for your money back.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 31, 2019, 05:33:52 pm »

snip

You could have done preventative maintenance a long time ago.  Maybe people would be less stressed and lonely if wages didn't stagnate for 30 years and people weren't forced into overtime or multiple jobs.  Vast majority of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck at best, be that due to poor wages, bad housing market, or near-invincible student debt.  If people were actually allowed leisure time and actual disposable income, they would practically be able to self medicate far far before we need to consider loneliness an epidemic killing people.

Sure not a single random family doctor can do anything realistic about that.  Hell, I'd say we're at the point of no return as is, if just one corp backs out and actually tries to treat human resources like humans instead of resources, they are playing Capitalism suboptimally and the lose the game.  Only winning move in this case is if everyone just stops playing the game.  Good luck, there.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 31, 2019, 06:47:42 pm »

That's quite different, though, and motivated by need (or a perception of it). There's no emotional payoff in the exchange.

And you're right, Eric is quite the wet nurse. 10/10.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 31, 2019, 06:57:37 pm »

Quote from: Trump
A person who is very flat-chested is very hard to be a 10.

Which obviously means much for Eric. Either way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #388 on: January 31, 2019, 07:09:19 pm »

Quote from: Trump
A person who is very flat-chested is very hard to be a 10.

Which obviously means much for Eric. Either way.
Doesn't this buffoon not know it is empirically determined that flat is justice?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 31, 2019, 10:14:12 pm »

I'm not entirely sure trump KNOWS anything. In fact, I'm not entirely sure trump isn't a slime mold piloting a robot
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34