Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 80440 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #570 on: December 30, 2019, 11:29:31 am »

This is arguably a bit off topic, but I've been kicking around an idea in my head for a little while now to try to write a sci-fi story that takes place in a nonrelativistic universe, and I've had a bit of trouble finding a summary of known phenomena that are caused by relativistic effects that I'd need to change or remove.  Does anyone know of such a reference?  Skimming the Wikipedia articles didn't really help a lot, but if it's the best there is I can go back and reread in more depth.

Naturally, quite a lot depends on how said universe works differently from ours, but it would be a start.  Things get really weird if you can do stuff like outrun gravity and electromagnetic fields (ignoring that magnetism probably doesn't exist without relativity), but it might be fun to imagine what that's like.  That would be completely different from a universe where forces travel infinitely fast.

Maybe it's too much to try to imagine a realistic nonrelativistic universe that's recognizably similar to ours.  I'm guessing almost all of chemistry and quantum physics would have to work so differently that it might as well be magic at that point.

Probably the more you understand how those things works and impact everything else, the better your story without them will be. You also want to pretty narrowly define what exactly is different (in-story or as an introduction to the reader), so everyone knows what is the same/different and know what is and is not reasonable. For example, if you don't have covalent bonds in your story, you don't have molecules, which makes your protagonists somewhat less interesting.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 30, 2019, 11:39:46 am »

That's pretty much were I am right now: trying to figure out how much should work differently and how much can be hand waved or swept under the rug.  I can deal with simple things like magnetism not existing, having no universal speed limit, mercury being a solid at room temperature and so on, but I know that pretty much everything should be different.  Maybe it's possible to just say that atoms and chemistry happen to work very similarly to our universe, but it's pretty unsatisfying to say that without at least considering as many aspects as I can.

Starting with atoms, for that matter, would covalent bonds not exist?  I actually don't know.  I strongly suspect the orbitals would be different at the very least, which impacts chemistry in profound ways, but for all I know relativity is fundamentally important to the idea of electrons even entering into orbitals instead of just colliding with nuclei and turning the universe into a soup of boring neutrons.  And yet, would neutrons even exist?  Again, for all I know, the strong force, quarks and so on are entirely different without relativity...  I've heard that time dilation has important consequences on the decay rate of what I believe were charge carrying particles, which impacts the strength and range of those force fields, but this is all have remembered details from something I read a long time ago.  Can't remember if it was the strong force or weak force, or something else entirely.

Hmm... that gives me thoughts to file away for future consideration - what would a universe without particle decay be like?  Unrecognizable, I'm sure.  Or a deterministic universe without uncertainty?  Again, probably unrecognizable.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 30, 2019, 12:53:03 pm »

Quantum mechanics prevents electrons from spiraling into nuclei. As for the other consequences of a lack of relativity...…

First unite quantum mechanics to relativity and then move on to a unified theory of all physics, and we should be good to start considering how changing relativity might affect that! :P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 30, 2019, 02:45:41 pm »

That's pretty much were I am right now: trying to figure out how much should work differently and how much can be hand waved or swept under the rug.  I can deal with simple things like magnetism not existing, having no universal speed limit, mercury being a solid at room temperature and so on, but I know that pretty much everything should be different.  Maybe it's possible to just say that atoms and chemistry happen to work very similarly to our universe, but it's pretty unsatisfying to say that without at least considering as many aspects as I can.

Starting with atoms, for that matter, would covalent bonds not exist?  I actually don't know.  I strongly suspect the orbitals would be different at the very least, which impacts chemistry in profound ways, but for all I know relativity is fundamentally important to the idea of electrons even entering into orbitals instead of just colliding with nuclei and turning the universe into a soup of boring neutrons.  And yet, would neutrons even exist?  Again, for all I know, the strong force, quarks and so on are entirely different without relativity...  I've heard that time dilation has important consequences on the decay rate of what I believe were charge carrying particles, which impacts the strength and range of those force fields, but this is all have remembered details from something I read a long time ago.  Can't remember if it was the strong force or weak force, or something else entirely.

Hmm... that gives me thoughts to file away for future consideration - what would a universe without particle decay be like?  Unrecognizable, I'm sure.  Or a deterministic universe without uncertainty?  Again, probably unrecognizable.

You're going too complex for science fantasy, and not complex enough (or, arguably, too complex for you...or anyone with an incomplete understanding of relativity) for science fiction.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 30, 2019, 06:17:58 pm »

Yes, you're probably right about that.  I'm probably best off just sticking to having no universal speed limit and calling it a day.

This does make me curious if anyone with the needed knowledge has tried to design a recognizable universe with changes to the natural laws like this.  It's probably too much work for what you get since very few would be able to appreciate it.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 30, 2019, 09:42:34 pm »

Yes, you're probably right about that.  I'm probably best off just sticking to having no universal speed limit and calling it a day.

This does make me curious if anyone with the needed knowledge has tried to design a recognizable universe with changes to the natural laws like this.  It's probably too much work for what you get since very few would be able to appreciate it.

It's also just really hard to write in a satisfying way. In a sense, it's a greatly exacerbated version of the more common problem with writing realistic space travel stories: automata are the most efficient and least exciting way to do the overwhelming majority of things in space, so if you want people to do exciting things for your audience to care about, you have to find some way to need them without overburdening the story with an explanation.

Here, I fear, you'd run a considerable risk of producing a physics textbook with a story squeezed in edgewise, because the premise has so many counterintuitive effects you'd spend ages explaining them. Plus which, as you say, most of your audience won't recognize you've changed anything anyway. EDIT: And of the rest, the majority will be deeply and fundamentally unhappy little pissants who will gleefully assume you don't understand physics, rather than deliberately departing from it, and do little but make snide "corrections" on that basis.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:47:48 pm by Trekkin »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 03, 2020, 03:58:30 pm »

Videos of slime mold sporangia development;

https://youtu.be/A0__v5nMGaI

https://youtu.be/B8dl_CuwQhk

Very wiggly, much rhythmic pulsation. Such reproduction. Wow.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 03, 2020, 05:02:10 pm »

I got some blood drawn today, which is going to get sent off to a lab that will test for genetic markers to see how my body breaks down and metabolizes various medications, allowing us to accurately measure dosages to best suit my specific, individual way of absorbing them.

And I just think that that's pretty fucking rad.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 03, 2020, 05:22:03 pm »

My son had AML leukemia, and had a stem cell transplant more than 100+ days ago. 

The donor is from a non-relation. 

Son said majority of his DNA is from donor, except the lining of his guts. 

He is doing well, thankfully, and will resume 2nd year of his college. 

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 03, 2020, 09:30:35 pm »

Son said majority of his DNA is from donor, except the lining of his guts.
Well it doesn't actually work like that, but I assume he means he has a complete donor chimera, which is a good thing.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #580 on: January 04, 2020, 12:00:05 pm »

I can guess at what that phrase is meant to represent, but "complete donor chimera" just has too many unnerving connotations to be entirely comfortable.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 09, 2020, 03:27:53 pm »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 09, 2020, 03:32:55 pm »

$5 says it doesn't translate well or at all to humans, and $20 says that even if it does, there's no easy or effective way to treat living people with it.

I'm still hopeful though.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't have any benefits for humans, but I'd be surprised if the effects are as pronounced or if there's a way to treat people short of gene edits in embryos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 09, 2020, 03:53:22 pm »

And while the quick turnover rate of a nematode that normally lives three to four weeks is great for certain test (such as measuring average lifespan), there's a hell of a lot more cellular fuckery that can go on in 500 years than in five months.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 16, 2020, 05:33:06 am »

Will Any Crap We Put into Graphene Increase Its Electrocatalytic Effect?

"It has become almost a paradigm that the once fantastic graphene for electrocatalysis is not so fantastic anymore and that we need to add something to it to make it great again."

Also, they actually used crap in their demonstration of the truth of their position. Bravo, good sirs and/or madams.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54