Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 42475 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #675 on: October 21, 2020, 07:38:22 pm »

Compression is (in principle) adiabatic, so it doesn't increase the heat content, just the temperature; the higher-temperature refrigerant now loses heat to its surroundings because those surroundings are at a lower temperature and, when decompressed adiabatically again, drops to a lower temperature than it started at because it lost heat.

Yeah, I guess temperature is what I meant.

Surprised TCE did not get mentioned. (did you know they used to use it to decaffeinate coffee way back when? Scary.)

Anesthesia refrigerator. Cool your beer and cool your mind... at the same time!
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 27, 2020, 02:11:06 am »

Sorry for double post, but I have a question about 3D printer piece annealing. I have PLA filament, which produces pieces that are rather brittle. I heard PLA can be strengthened by annealing at high temperatures under the melting point, but that these temperatures could cause warping. I was wondering, does it make sense to encase the piece in clay or some other kind of mold after printing, but during annealing, to try to prevent warping? I was planning on annealing my pieces in water.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 27, 2020, 04:39:02 am »

Maybe if you use silicone mold maker to support the part before heating it?

Personally though, if you are gonna go through the trouble of basically making a mold for the part, I would just go the next logical step, and pour the mold with resin and make a resin version of your print instead.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 27, 2020, 12:44:24 pm »

Ah. Yeah, that might make sense. I could use the 3D printed part as a mold mold, to make the mold for the actual piece.

Then the question becomes what to use as materials for the mold and the piece... You mentioned epoxy for the piece itself, which I think is good. For the mold you said silicone, but isn't that expensive? Does it make sense to make the mold from epoxy, wait for it to harden, then make the piece itself inside the mold? Would it form as two separate pieces?

There's also the question of porosity. Is epoxy too porous for high pressure liquid inside the compressor?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 27, 2020, 01:02:37 pm »

urethane rubber is cheap at least.

https://www.amazon.com/Enduro-Soft-Polyurethane-Casting-Durable/dp/B07YCV6491/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=2+part+silicone&qid=1603821431&sr=8-6

Then get yourself some casting resin.
Smooth-On is a namebrand, so is kinda pricey.  There are others out there.
https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Cast-305-Urethane-Resin-Trial/dp/B00ZGOSTTY/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=smooth+on+resin&qid=1603821664&sr=8-6

I doubt you are going to be doing a huge item, so this should be fine.  See also this useful youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrLXTzS9lo&feature=youtu.be

and this one as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P9KmCjOWFQ
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 01:17:59 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]