Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 80852 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #795 on: January 03, 2024, 09:47:46 pm »

I have been thinking recently they should actually be turning stuff into charcoal and filling old mines or something like that. But you're just going to be tempted to burn the coal sooner or later. We got it from the moors why not pump it back into the moors, heh.
let

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 03, 2024, 10:37:05 pm »

Artificial-bog industries... I bet someone has looked into it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 03, 2024, 10:41:05 pm »

I have been thinking recently they should actually be turning stuff into charcoal and filling old mines or something like that. But you're just going to be tempted to burn the coal sooner or later. We got it from the moors why not pump it back into the moors, heh.
Bonus, if society collapses we'll have that store of energy dense material to kick start the industrial revolution again!
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #798 on: January 11, 2024, 11:07:37 am »

It'd have to be some place deep and lifeless. Cos it's been an old truth that smashed up charcoals and ash mixed into soil are super good for enriching the soil with carbon, encouraging the kind of bacteria and plant growth that kinda defeats the point of being a "carbon sink" that encourages the release of carbon already stored in the soil. Might be a decent alternative to agrochems tho. Like imagine vineyards or orange plantations making their own organic fertilisers

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 12, 2024, 05:46:31 am »

I had considered "solar sintered glass entrapment" in sealed saggar crucibles several times.

When done under hermetic conditions, the environment inside the kiln rapidly depletes all available oxygen, and the carbon cannot turn into CO2, and instead "Just melts" and mixes with the glass. This should produce a geologically stable form of carbon that is mechanically sequestered, and the energy to perform the process can come from low-tech, inexpensive solar sources.

Doing this with human garbage (specifically, plastic wastes, but the chemistry shouldn't care too much about other organic impurities in the waste stream) could in theory resolve a number of ecological and economic problems all at once, but good luck getting the funding to start a pilot waste disposal operation.

the NIMBY folks will swear to heaven and back that the resulting black glass causes cancer and disruptions to their orgone responses, or some other nonsense.

To work correctly, the glass must melt below 400C, which means a high-soda glass, but there are numerous ways to accomplish that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #800 on: January 12, 2024, 09:07:00 am »

I had considered "solar sintered glass entrapment" in sealed saggar crucibles several times.

When done under hermetic conditions, the environment inside the kiln rapidly depletes all available oxygen, and the carbon cannot turn into CO2, and instead "Just melts" and mixes with the glass. This should produce a geologically stable form of carbon that is mechanically sequestered, and the energy to perform the process can come from low-tech, inexpensive solar sources.

Doing this with human garbage (specifically, plastic wastes, but the chemistry shouldn't care too much about other organic impurities in the waste stream) could in theory resolve a number of ecological and economic problems all at once, but good luck getting the funding to start a pilot waste disposal operation.

the NIMBY folks will swear to heaven and back that the resulting black glass causes cancer and disruptions to their orgone responses, or some other nonsense.

To work correctly, the glass must melt below 400C, which means a high-soda glass, but there are numerous ways to accomplish that.
One of the funniest things I've seen from NIMBY was the woman who managed to block a charging port for EVs outside her house then when she got an electric car couldn't get the council to put a charging port outside her house or even in her neighbourhood, citing the stop order she had filed for

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 26, 2024, 02:14:39 am »

One of the largest eruptions in Earth’s history could have wiped out humans. Here’s how scientists say some survived
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/21/africa/toba-supervolcano-early-human-migration-africa-scn/index.html
Quote from:  Katie Hunt
“People start to increase the percentage of fish in the diet when Toba comes in. They’re capturing and processing almost four times as much fish (as before the eruption),” he said.

“We think the reason for that is because if Toba is in fact, creating more aridity, that means it’s going to be a shorter wet season, which means longer dry season.”

The team theorized that the drier climate, counterintuitively, explains the increased reliance on fish: As the river shrank, fish were trapped in water holes or shallower streams that hunters could more easily target.

Blue vs. green corridor
The fish-rich water holes may have potentially created what the team described as a “blue corridor,” along which early humans moved north out of Africa once they were depleted of fish. This theory contradicts most other models that suggest that humanity’s main migration out of Africa took place along “green corridors” during humid periods.

“This study … demonstrates the great plasticity of Homo sapiens populations and their ability to adapt easily to any type of environment, whether hyper-humid or hyper-arid, including during catastrophic events such as the hyper-explosion of the Toba volcano,” said Ludovic Slimak, a researcher at the French National Centre for Scientific Research and the University of Toulouse, in an email. Slimak was not involved in the research.
John Kappelman's study does sound like it presents an interesting theory regarding human migration.
Max avatar size is 80x80
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54]