Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 79590 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« on: May 08, 2017, 10:08:07 am »

So as we appear to be down a science thread:

1. Talk about science.

2. Keep it civil.

3. [citation needed].
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:08:23 am »

Quanta Magazine has a 2015 article by K.C. Cole about the resolution of cosmic mechanics through ER=EPR, or entanglement through firewalls/timespace/memoryexistence by means of Einstein-Rosen bridges, or wormholes.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 02:06:18 am »

This is why i love paleontology
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 02:20:25 am »

Probably aught to PTW this, as it appears the other one is permanently done for. Dinosaurs are cool.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 04:28:06 pm »

A joint research by Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and McCormick School of Engineering have managed to produce working mouse ovaries using a 3d printer.

Or rather, they used a 3d printer to print a gelatinous mold, about 2mm in diameter with a chicken fence structure. In this, they placed several genetically engineered mouse follicles. The follicles adhered to the mold, and grew support cells that spread over the mold. After 4 days the researchers implanted the mold in a mouse whose ovaries had been surgically removed. The mouse started ovulating not long after, and became pregnant, although the litter size was below average. After giving birth, milk production started as it should, and the mouse pups proved to be fertile themselves.

The researchers inserted fluorescence genes into the follicle cells. When the offspring proved to have fluorescent cells, they were certain that they were produced by the artificial ovaries, and not by any residue from the original ovaries.

They hope the technique will prove succesful in humans as well. Women who have had chemotherapy often suffer from ovary damage, casuing them to become infertile. The new technique could help them grow new ovaries.

The gel used to create the 3d printer mold dissolves naturally after implantation, leaving just the new ovaries in place.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/werkende-muizeneierstokken-met-3d-printer-gemaakt-op-termijn-wellicht-ook-voor-mensen~a4495193/

tldr; order your 3d printed ovaries now
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:56:45 pm »

I find it more interesting as a proof of concept of tissue printing getting much better, than because of the ovaries themselves. The more complex and functional tissue printer becomes, the closer it's to the clinic.

Read a news item a couple of weeks ago about Organovo intending to move a liver patch they're working on into clinical trials.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 06:21:49 pm »

Unnoticed bonus: home versions which you can sprinkle some [insert meat type here] precursor and have it grow you a [steak/roast/nuggets/ribs] on demand.

Side benefit of the above: ignoring any humanitarian "think of the animals" bullshit (yes I love animals btw, I adopt them on sight as a ward essentially, but associating with terrorists or worse like peta won't help anything) there are environmental boons here. Reduced water/feedstock consumption, reduced runoff from said feedstock, and hey if you're in a panic over CO2 you should be freaking about the CH4 which cows blast out of their asses all day, right?

gogs2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 05:51:52 am »

I'm waiting for that:

Scientists Are Close to Cloning a Woolly Mammoth
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a25263/scientists-are-close-to-cloning-a-woolly-mammoth/

Would be nice to see these walking around (well at least not in the cities) hahaha

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 05:53:14 am »

I dont think there is any real plan to clone one atm, for what I've heard afterwards.... just the concept that it could possibly be done
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 06:03:34 am »

NASA's Van Allen Probes Spot Man-Made Barrier Shrouding Earth

VLF signals are transmitted from ground stations at huge powers to communicate with submarines deep in the ocean. While these waves are intended for communications below the surface, they also extend out beyond our atmosphere, shrouding Earth in a VLF bubble. This bubble is even seen by spacecraft high above Earth’s surface, such as NASA’s Van Allen Probes, which study electrons and ions in the near-Earth environment.

The probes have noticed an interesting coincidence — the outward extent of the VLF bubble corresponds almost exactly to the inner edge of the Van Allen radiation belts, a layer of charged particles held in place by Earth’s magnetic fields. Dan Baker, director of the University of Colorado’s Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics in Boulder, coined this lower limit the “impenetrable barrier” and speculates that if there were no human VLF transmissions, the boundary would likely stretch closer to Earth. Indeed, comparisons of the modern extent of the radiation belts from Van Allen Probe data show the inner boundary to be much farther away than its recorded position in satellite data from the 1960s, when VLF transmissions were more limited.

With further study, VLF transmissions may serve as a way to remove excess radiation from the near-Earth environment. Plans are already underway to test VLF transmissions in the upper atmosphere to see if they could remove excess charged particles — which can appear during periods of intense space weather, such as when the sun erupts with giant clouds of particles and energy.

Well it appear that we accidentally a planetary shield. Wonder if that's going to help against the solar storms?
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 06:55:33 am »

Heh interesting. I wonder if that could be downsized to space ship size, and used to keep the radiation out.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 07:17:55 am »

PTW
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 08:13:43 am »

PTW, and here's something else that I've been watching over the last few years... (They "write down to us" in these BBC articles, but that's because this is their "get schoolkids interested in engineering" front, and what piques their interest isn't necessarily what we are. Maybe go and hunt round http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/project instead.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 10:33:28 am »

Heh, stumbled on this while following a link from politics thread

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/5/19/15666206/arctic-seed-vault-flood

I've always thought to myself 'why the fuck did they build that there, and not on the south pole, anchored to rock bottom?'. Cause you know, when the North Pole melts, it's bye bye seed bank (which btw has recently been expanded to be collective human knowledge bank as well)

EDIT: the article confuses me. How can something be both on the North Pole, and inside a mountain? Do they mean a mountain of ice, or is it a landmass within the polar circle, but not on the North Pole?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:42:29 am by martinuzz »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54