Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 79573 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #375 on: January 31, 2019, 02:09:26 pm »

I can't fault anyone for 'renting' a family, though the idea is strange to me. Family is a hugely important part of life imo, and one which many people don't have.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 31, 2019, 02:17:53 pm »

I don't know why you'd want more than what you already have to put up with, let alone PAY for the privilege, but that's me.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 31, 2019, 02:21:27 pm »

I don't know why you'd want more than what you already have to put up with, let alone PAY for the privilege, but that's me.

I think the idea is that if you're unsatisfied with them, you can fire them, so they have an incentive to be an unrealistically caring family.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 31, 2019, 02:40:12 pm »

"You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family." Unless you can get either from a catalogue.

(Given the generational demographics of Japan, and various social effects developing alongside these, I'm not surprised it's happening. We've probably just as many occidental peculiarities, but we don't see them because we're deep within them. I suspect many a Hikikomori (the opposite issue, maybe, although they also (or their families, on their behalf) also hire 'big sisters', etc) doesn't see their situation as strange.)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 31, 2019, 02:42:26 pm »

You US people are quite happy to hire people to act as mothers to your children while you're at work.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 31, 2019, 02:50:37 pm »

You US people are quite happy to hire people to act as mothers to your children while you're at work.
You watch your tongue, young man! Eric was a wonderful wetnurse!

I think the idea is that if you're unsatisfied with them, you can fire them, so they have an incentive to be an unrealistically caring family.
If you can get rid of them that easily, you're clearly not getting an authentic experience. You should ask for your money back.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 31, 2019, 05:33:52 pm »

snip

You could have done preventative maintenance a long time ago.  Maybe people would be less stressed and lonely if wages didn't stagnate for 30 years and people weren't forced into overtime or multiple jobs.  Vast majority of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck at best, be that due to poor wages, bad housing market, or near-invincible student debt.  If people were actually allowed leisure time and actual disposable income, they would practically be able to self medicate far far before we need to consider loneliness an epidemic killing people.

Sure not a single random family doctor can do anything realistic about that.  Hell, I'd say we're at the point of no return as is, if just one corp backs out and actually tries to treat human resources like humans instead of resources, they are playing Capitalism suboptimally and the lose the game.  Only winning move in this case is if everyone just stops playing the game.  Good luck, there.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 31, 2019, 06:47:42 pm »

That's quite different, though, and motivated by need (or a perception of it). There's no emotional payoff in the exchange.

And you're right, Eric is quite the wet nurse. 10/10.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 31, 2019, 06:57:37 pm »

Quote from: Trump
A person who is very flat-chested is very hard to be a 10.

Which obviously means much for Eric. Either way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #384 on: January 31, 2019, 07:09:19 pm »

Quote from: Trump
A person who is very flat-chested is very hard to be a 10.

Which obviously means much for Eric. Either way.
Doesn't this buffoon not know it is empirically determined that flat is justice?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 31, 2019, 10:14:12 pm »

I'm not entirely sure trump KNOWS anything. In fact, I'm not entirely sure trump isn't a slime mold piloting a robot

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 31, 2019, 11:15:13 pm »

This week I learned that my severe annoyance at certain sounds has a name: misophonia.  Yay taxonomy!

I will literally hunt around a room to find the source of quiet ticking sounds so I can suppress them.  I have even used globs of clay to prevent the pull chain of a ceiling fan from ticking against the little grommet through which it passes.

Loud sounds - no problem. Clock ticking - no problem.  But people picking their teeth, or biting nails, or a ceiling fan tick... GARAHRHGHAHFHGH.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 31, 2019, 11:57:14 pm »

Maybe the fact that you can fire your existing family and hire a replacement one could encourage that existing family to be more friendly. :V
This way you gain the benefits of the market without having to pay anything! Thanks, Capitalism!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 01, 2019, 02:27:47 am »

Ah, so we can use people as microphones now. Neat. ;P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54