Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 79595 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #390 on: February 01, 2019, 07:16:44 am »

Ah, so we can use people as microphones now. Neat. ;P

Orwell turns a little faster in his grave.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 01, 2019, 07:23:49 am »

So they can finally confirm that my voices in my head are the ones telling me not to kill and advising me on the social conventions and niceties I should be following.  ;D

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 01, 2019, 11:52:02 am »

At this point, we could attach turbines to him and aldous huxley and power a small city.  :P

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 01, 2019, 11:56:22 am »

At this point, we could attach turbines to him and aldous huxley and power a small city.  :P

Or, rather, the electric fence around a small city.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 01, 2019, 12:36:24 pm »

Or, rather, the electric fence around a small city.

You can get all three, if you add in powering the cameras, microphones, telescreens, and cloning facilities.  I hear the rate that each spins when they are used to directly enact one of the things they wrote so strongly about is geometrically proportional to the degree of brazenness and or atrocity involved, so throwing in those additional facilities should net a tidy energy surplus with which to run the city itself.  Properly designed and implemented, this could easily make the 5 year expectation for generation without having to use the ministry of truth. The ISSUE, is getting them to STOP for routine maintenance, and or-- the appropriation of replacement turbine parts.  Not that Oceana has ever suffered a shortage mind.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 01, 2019, 02:58:02 pm »

Just don't try it with Newton. It results in a positive feedback loop and then suddenly everything is on fire.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 02, 2019, 04:30:06 am »

Didn't know misophonia was a thing, but yeah, every potentially squeaky/creaky/rattling/clunking/tapping noise source in my vicinity is shimmed, tied, pinned, or disassembled.

Also, it's a little known fact that there was an attempt to use several of the greatest physicists in this century as well as the next and upon hooking Roy Kerr up to the turbines it ripped a hole in everything, thankfully the hole didn't hit much of import as it fell through the bulk of the planet, though it did entirely excise Lemuria from the southeastern indian ocean, replacing it with a slab of dusty rock from the elemental dimension of pain, along with creatures from the elemental dimension of horror... approximately 200 kiloyears before Kerr even died, much less the turbine connection event itself.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 02, 2019, 03:14:25 pm »

It's probably not full-blown misophonia but if you wnat me to really hate you, there's nothing more than mouth breathing loudly and doing that whole lip-smacking things with a mouth full of saliva.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 19, 2019, 06:12:18 pm »

Science Works, but it appears comprehension sometimes doesn't...

(I've had FE videos suggested to me. Admittedly mostly "Debunk FE" ones, and then obviously from my interest more of them. I've not been deconvinced of my prior opinion. But then I've seen enough horizons in my time, already, to make the obvious conclusions about how there could/must be stuff beyond them.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 19, 2019, 06:36:58 pm »

I've had FE videos suggested to me. Admittedly mostly "Debunk FE" ones, and then obviously from my interest more of them.
I thought this was in reference to Fire Emblem. Apparently, that was not the case.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 20, 2019, 03:36:13 am »

Here's an odd duck...

https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1113/JP276904

Scientists report that neural tissues can communicate through non-synaptic mechanism.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2019, 03:43:31 am »

Sounds like we just got one of the prerequisite researches for Psionics~
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2019, 03:57:08 am »

I wouldnt go THAT far..

More "Neurons are impacted by, and can impact, the voltage differentials of the extracellular medium, and can use this to communicate, even without a synaptic pathway."

This makes sense, as it could potentially be used to help guide dendrite migration and pals.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2019, 08:44:47 am »

We've known about ephaptic coupling for years, though. https://www.nature.com/articles/nn.2727

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 20, 2019, 08:50:14 am »

I believe the magic here is this statement from the abstract you cited Trekkin.

"The extent to which such ephaptic coupling alters the functioning of neurons under physiological conditions remains unclear."

The recently published paper is not mentioning that such coupling happens (as something new), but that there is a testable communication process that matches the mechanics of this phenomenon. (eg, they found out more about the functioning of neurons under those conditions. The paper you cited asserts that there is substantial entraining, and thus that these potentials are clearly being used. The new paper just builds on older findings)

In the present study, we show that slow periodic activity in the longitudinal hippocampal slice is a self‐regenerating wave which can propagate with and without chemical or electrical synaptic transmission at the same speeds. We also show that applying local extracellular electric fields can modulate or even block the propagation of this wave in both in silico and in vitro models. Our results support the notion that ephaptic coupling plays a significant role in the propagation of the slow hippocampal periodic activity.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:59:14 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 54