Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54

Author Topic: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)  (Read 79567 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread (and !!SCIENCE!! Thread!)
« Reply #465 on: September 05, 2019, 04:10:50 pm »

I am not going to burn plastic, just curious if it could be done in a vacuum

Well, to be pedantic, if you're adding gaseous oxygen, it's no longer a vacuum, so by definition no.

The more informative answer is mostly what Iduno said. Plastics are polymers, so as different subunits react, products of different lengths will form, which are sterically biased toward forming different compounds as the reaction continues. There is no guarantee that the reaction will run to completion before a volatile intermediate forms and evaporates away from the heat.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 05, 2019, 04:34:12 pm »

Thank you for the information. I have another thought not connected to plastic

I have a thought of an experiment involving raising flies and grasshoppers in the same environment, figuring out if fly eggs stick to grasshoppers, figuring out whether the larvae would eat the grasshoppers if they hatch on them, figuring out whether the adults who ate grasshoppers as larvae would selectively lay eggs on grasshoppers, since they hatched from grasshoppers? The idea is to test how insect parasitism may have evolved. Part of the idea is that there are some flies that parasitism crickets, and that the hawthorn fly sometimes lays eggs on apples and those that lived on apples will lay eggs on apples, so my idea was if something similar happened in various lineages of flies with grasshoppers and crickets.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 05, 2019, 04:50:01 pm »

Thank you for the information. I have another thought not connected to plastic

I have a thought of an experiment involving raising flies and grasshoppers in the same environment, figuring out if fly eggs stick to grasshoppers, figuring out whether the larvae would eat the grasshoppers if they hatch on them, figuring out whether the adults who ate grasshoppers as larvae would selectively lay eggs on grasshoppers, since they hatched from grasshoppers? The idea is to test how insect parasitism may have evolved. Part of the idea is that there are some flies that parasitism crickets, and that the hawthorn fly sometimes lays eggs on apples and those that lived on apples will lay eggs on apples, so my idea was if something similar happened in various lineages of flies with grasshoppers and crickets.

You know, you could do this in silico before you tried it in vivo. If flies are going to parasitize grasshoppers, they'd presumably need to be able to detect them, and so they'd need an olfactory receptor to pick up on something grasshoppers exude into the air much like how they can detect rotting meat to eat. You could try docking all the volatile small molecules grasshoppers excrete uniquely against the proteome of whatever fly species you wanted to examine; the hit rate would be low, but if they're going to do this the affinity will need to be high enough that you'd probably notice it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 15, 2019, 05:51:44 pm »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 15, 2019, 06:16:11 pm »

The "viruses are not alive" debate is still a matter of semantics rather than science. I mention this before anyone starts chasing after Naturegirl999 with this stuff. Think of this as a cyber-PrEP
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 15, 2019, 08:06:10 pm »

Yes. The Viruses not being alive paper mentions definitions. I am aware that what life is is blurry

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 15, 2019, 10:53:51 pm »

Its not even blurry it's semantics. The actual relevance is the same as determining the right pronounciation for potato 🥔
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 16, 2019, 08:18:27 am »

Ah. I understand now. thank you. The papers still give interesting info about virus polyphyly and possibly independent acquisition of capsid proteins.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 16, 2019, 09:17:47 am »

Its not even blurry it's semantics. The actual relevance is the same as determining the right pronounciation for potato 🥔

"Potato" is of course properly pronounced as follows: "PO-TAY-TOE? Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?"
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 16, 2019, 02:07:26 pm »

Ah. I understand now. thank you. The papers still give interesting info about virus polyphyly and possibly independent acquisition of capsid proteins.

If you would like to learn about more things that have been used as examples of the definition of life being fuzzy, you could look at prions. They're like viruses without genetic material.

EDIT: Oh, or the origin of organelles.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 16, 2019, 02:29:41 pm »

oh, yes, chloroplasts and mitochondria used to be bacteria, and I'm not sure we know exactly how to nucleus formed
Edit:
A paper about the origin of the nucleus
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 02:40:12 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 16, 2019, 02:39:15 pm »

oh, yes, chloroplasts and mitochondria used to be bacteria, and I'm not sure we know exactly how to nucleus formed

Well, of the three primary theories, archaeal endosymbiosis has whole-genome analysis' indication of an archaeal origin of nuclear proteins in its favor.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 16, 2019, 02:50:23 pm »

Quite right.  There's also the high degree of conservation/similarity  of genes for mitochondria found in very divergent lineages to consider as well. (Even when those genes have migrated to the host's nuclear genome.) Not to mention that some species are able to "steal" organelles from other organisms, such as several marine plankton species that can incorporate algal chloroplasts after ingesting said algae.

If unusual nuclei are your thing, look into dinoflagellates.

https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/protista/dinoflagmm.html

During cell division, their chromosomes remain compact, among many other unique features-- such as an apparent lack of histones.  At one point, this was considered to be an ancient feature, but more recent work has suggested that this is the result of very advanced divergent evolution in nuclear function.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 16, 2019, 02:52:45 pm »

Quite right.  There's also the high degree of conservation/similarity  of genes for mitochondria found in very divergent lineages to consider as well. (Even when those genes have migrated to the host's nuclear genome.) Not to mention that some species are able to "steal" organelles from other organisms, such as several marine plankton species that can incorporate algal chloroplasts after ingesting said algae.

If unusual nuclei are your thing, look into dinoflagellates.

https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/protista/dinoflagmm.html

During cell division, their chromosomes remain compact, among many other unique features-- such as an apparent lack of histones.  At one point, this was considered to be an ancient feature, but more recent work has suggested that this is the result of very advanced divergent evolution in nuclear function.

Well, of the three primary theories, archaeal endosymbiosis has whole-genome analysis' indication of an archaeal origin of nuclear proteins in its favor.
Thank you both

Edit: Here is a video I found about how ribosomes evolved from Georgia Tech, NASA, and Center for Ribosomal Origins and Evolution
The paper the video uses for the information
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:41:08 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:29:11 am by Naturegirl1999 »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54