Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Bay12 Evo Game  (Read 11422 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Evo Game
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 02:42:57 pm »

Am I evolving the Cyanos 17 tree too fast? I have been evolving it each time you post a competing for survival.
Cyanos Acri becomes Cyanos Motus! Cyanos Motus evolves flagella to move to sunnier places. To further aid it, it evolves a tiny sunspot.
He's posting a competing for survival every time you evolve.
Although frankly, flagellated algae are a good idea.
I've logged the mutation on the chart.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 03:15:50 pm »

A small group of Schwim near the surface evolve a large, complex eye. It is unable of viewing color, or perceiving depth; yet it allows them to locate Cyanos Motus that is absorbing the sun and becoming nutrient rich. They become Schwim Oculus.

[joke]Their powerful unibrows grant them godhood[/joke]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:29:17 pm by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 03:22:01 pm »

A small group of Schwim near the surface evolve a large, complex eye. It is unable of viewing color, or perceiving depth; yet it allows them to locate Cyanos Motus that is absorbing the sun and becoming nutrient rich.
Picture please.
Am I evolving the Cyanos 17 tree too fast? I have been evolving it each time you post a competing for survival.

Cyanos Acri becomes Cyanos Motus! Cyanos Motus evolves flagella to move to sunnier places. To further aid it, it evolves a tiny sunspot.

Not too fast, but please give other stuff a chance too.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 03:26:53 pm »

Algae-17 grows small spikes to dissuade predators to eat it.
I'll record that as Cyanos acri, learning biology has left me with something of a penchant for binomial nomenclature...
"Acri" is latin for "sharp".

Anyway, the Phagos phago and the Phagos Shlurpi are now extinct, outcompeted by the Phagos Shlamboi and the Phagos Schwim.
The surviving of the Phagos genus must still roll.
Chart modified to reflect this. Extinct species are denoted with <slant brackets> around their name.

I'm unable to access it?
It's a Google sheet chart. I may have messed up the settings (not likely) or your browser might be throwing a tantrum about Google. Have a static image.

I love you already, welcome!
I see you got the reference. ("Natural selection" in your sig, hint hint...?") Thank you!

The Phagos shlamboi scrape by, but by very little! If this continues for too long, the Shlambo will be extinct!
Not so fast! (literally.) With all these various adaptations the algae are developing to defend themselves, it's becoming harder to catch them. This should favor the Shlambo's dormancy, no?

And the first ninja-ing of my new forum career!
Here is the Phagos genus evolution tree:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'll do the Cyanos later.

Oh, blueturtle, I take it that <> means extinct? Nice, but Phagos shlurpi is not extinct yet, as the Phagos schwim have not fully out competed the Shlurp just yet, by virtue of numbers.
Aww, but you said it was extinct a while ago, superceded by the P. schwim! Eh, word of author is final. I'll change the marking.
Oops, sorry. I forgot, but let's say that latest post = most accurate info.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 03:33:06 pm »

The creatures of the genus Phagos compete for survival!
The Shlurp:
10 +0.8: 10.8
The Shlambo:
4 + 0.8: 4.8

The Shlambo are going to go extinct unless they adapt soon!
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 03:55:02 pm »

Among the dying population, a mutation of the Shlambo proves to be far more capable than the last. A simple feather-like tendril creates small currents that push algae towards the Shlambo's waiting feeders, allowing it to more effectively capture food. It has become Phobos Schwish.

((Now I feel like I'm doing too much.))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 04:23:38 pm »

Added the Schwish and Oculus. Guys, Phagos is the genus, not Phobos or Schwim. Creation of limbs probably does warrant a new genus though.
Alright, we have a bunch of species now... I'd advise you kill off a few because I'm thinking of an algorithm to model inter-species relationships computationally, and the fewer configs I have to do the better.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »

The Shlambo:
  • Food Catching: 0.6
  • Dormancy: 0.3
The Shlurp:
  • Food catching: 0.6
  • Movement: 0.2

(The Phagos oculus is not very involved in this, since it's near the surface. The others are mostly in the upper middle of the sea.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 04:57:55 pm by MrLurkety »
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 04:52:04 pm »

Cyanos Motus evolve stronger flagella to escape predators even faster! Their sunspot grows larger too. They have become Cyanos Subfugio.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 04:56:42 pm »

The creatures of the genus Phagos must compete for survival!
The Shlambo:
7 + 0.9: 7.9
The Shlurp:
4 + 0.8

The tide is turning! Both survive, but if the Shlambo gets one bad roll....
Anyway, the only ways to stop the event:
  • One dissapears forever.
  • One develops a different niche
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 08:39:47 am »

Phagos Schwim Oculus begin to group up into "schools", and hunt together, developing a pack sense. This allows them to outcompete other Phagos.

Shouldn't need an image for that, right?

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 09:10:38 am »

Phagos Schwim Oculus begin to group up into "schools", and hunt together, developing a pack sense. This allows them to outcompete other Phagos.

As long as it's behavioral, no image needed.
But what do they "Hunt"? All Phagos are herbivores right now.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:14:53 am by MrLurkety »
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 10:32:24 am »

They're hunting algae. Mmhmm.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2017, 12:11:46 pm »

The Phagos Scwim Oculus have swum down and begun replacing the Phagos Scwim as the competitors for the Schlurp.

They're hunting algae. Mmhmm.
I'm going to interpret that as "Moving and eating as herds."

The Shlambo (Phagos Shlamboi):
  • Food Catching: 0.6
  • Dormancy: 0.3
Total: 0.9
The Shlurp (Phagos Scwim Oculus):
  • Food catching: 0.6
  • Movement: 0.2
  • Vison: 0.3
  • Herd: 0.2
Total: 1.3

Bay12 Evo game
-snip-

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2017, 12:14:27 pm »

The creatures of the genus Phagos compete for survival!
The Shlurp:
9 + 1.3: 10.3
The Shlambo:
8 + 0.9: 8.9

Both live... For now.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6