Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Arena battle ideas  (Read 2003 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arena battle ideas
« on: May 10, 2017, 04:55:06 am »

This is NOT a thread about the arena mode!

I really like building in-game arena in my fort, and so far i have always pitched a dwarf against, say, a goblin or a cave ogre.

now im wondering: with factions as they are , are there other possible combinations for fights? say, goblin against wildlife? or imported "wildlife"?

So for those of you who have an understanding for, what makes creatures hostile towards another, please post your best/craziest ideas below! I might edit the ones i like best into this post.

ps: i know undead are "opposed to life", so I guess they would make excellent champions.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arena battle ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:35:40 pm »

anything with "prone to rage" is a good place to start. badgers, honey badgers, and their giant counterparts are examples. i think some of the large apes also have it? don't quote me on that. and if you can catch were-creatures those are good during the full moon. as soon as they turn back you just have a naked, fleeing humanoid, which is at least funny. i am also fond of trolls as arena fodder, although the building destroyer trait is a pain. same goes for semi megabeasts and hill titans. forgotten beasts are too much effort to catch imo.

if all else fails, dump a caravan in there, the guards are hostile to anything besides your dwarves and other merchants, and given time the merchants and animals can go berserk :D (or fall into a depression)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:02:55 pm by carnivorn »

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 04:44:56 pm »

I like your way of thinking! Are cavern cratures (crundles, rutherers ect) hostile towards normal wildlife? that could be fun too ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 07:02:10 pm »

not sure, but I've seen plenty of fights between cavern creatures. giant bats vs giant earthworms, that sort of thing. so cavern creatures vs surface creatures is a sound idea! I'd use a smaller arena for that sort of thing, because those fights tend to disengage if they have the space. this is just based on observations in my current game, i don't know the mechanics behind it.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 07:07:51 pm »

How deep does water have to be for sharks to survive? Sharks vs crocodiles!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 08:47:47 pm »

It can be hard to work with sapient prisoners, because often, after being released from their cages, their primary goal is to flee the map.

If you set up some artifact furniture or dig a closeable (with bridges, of course) back door into your fort from the caverns, you may be able to trap forgotten beasts for your amusement. They'll happily fight anything you pit down to them.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 06:27:52 pm »

awesome! I think I'll stick to cageable stuff for now ;) I also had the idea of pitting dwarves against all sort of stuff, but only arm them with a carving knife or dagger. apparently, human caravans trade those or something. might also be fun to arm them with other "tools"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 07:47:37 pm »

How deep does water have to be for sharks to survive? Sharks vs crocodiles!
All fishes require 4 deep water.

Also, you should drag the shark on dry land for no more than 300 steps / 30 tiles to guarantee they don't drown. (Dwarven testing reveals drowning times between 350 and 1200 steps, depending on attributes and a bit of luck.)

I'm not sure they'd fight each other or run away from each other, though.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 10:28:28 pm »

For extra !!FUN!!, I suggest putting a bunch of traps in your arena -- weapon traps, upright spikes linked to randomizers, periodic flooding, etc.
You could also put pits covered with bridges in the arena, so when a bridge retracts, whatever creature was standing on it falls into the pit on top of another raising bridge, then gets catapulted back to the top just as the top bridge unretracts.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 10:44:20 am »

For extra !!FUN!!, I suggest putting a bunch of traps in your arena -- weapon traps, upright spikes linked to randomizers, periodic flooding, etc.
You could also put pits covered with bridges in the arena, so when a bridge retracts, whatever creature was standing on it falls into the pit on top of another raising bridge, then gets catapulted back to the top just as the top bridge unretracts.

pits off magma also came to mind, so that charging and dodging gets a little more dangerous. weapon traps are out off question for now i think, due to weapons accumulating wear in traps. I do have one artefact spear though that could do the trick, the trouble just is that my own dwarves wouldn't trigger those.

As I announced in another thread I might post a few fights in another thread when the arena gets done, if you guys are interested. I might try a little narrating about it too, I have a few ideas for interesting champions.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 12:51:04 pm »

I made an arena surrouded by magma, but it made every battle in there really boring, so I walled it later. Almost everybody who died on arena, died in the same way - by falling into the magma, and often even without much fighting.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 02:48:17 pm »

just curious, how big was the walkable area? cause what happens in my arena fights (last fort) is that they just stood next to each other fighting IIRC.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 03:01:10 pm »

IIRC it was 10x10 with cut corners. To wall it off later I used bridges, and two corners remained open to the magma. And even with this setup somebody falls down from time to time. I guess it also depends on gladiators. My military dwarves were legendary almost in everything including dodge, so they danced around a lot.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 03:10:16 pm »

Oh yeah, i remember, i never let a dwarf fight without a shield, so thats probably were that's at. thx though, 10x10 sound very sufficient.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 03:31:17 pm »

Before I got bored of that fort I started some project specifically for arena. I converted a wild troll into a werebison by making him topple the statue in a temple. Then infected some visitors with werebison's curse. Next plan was to make another breed of werecreatures and make them fight against werebisons. Never finished it, though. Maybe I'll come back to it some time.
Pages: [1] 2