Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: plump helmet bard?  (Read 14225 times)

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
plump helmet bard?
« on: May 10, 2017, 03:32:26 pm »

while playing in dwarf fortress, I opened a tavern, nothing special. then a message appeared that a "plump helmet man bard was visiting" I have many questions, the first being an obvious one to veteran players, "how can a bard be a bard without the ability to speak?". Plump helmet men do not have mouths, so they lack the ability to speak.
theories and discussions in the replies below, im looking forward to reading some of the more "dwarfy" theories.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: plump helmet bard?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:34:21 pm »

Perhaps they are excellent musicians, and communicate their stories through gestures.

Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes! 
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 03:46:30 pm »

that is actually night mare fuel.

someone please draw a picture of a "plump helmet man mine" and post it, that would make my week

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 04:11:29 pm »

Please tell me you're going to invite him to stay in your fort!

Perhaps they are excellent musicians, and communicate their stories through gestures.

...I found that I couldn't live without sigging that. I hope that's okay?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 04:47:05 pm »

he will always have a place in the tavern, and its cool dude

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 04:53:35 pm »

Worldgen is full of singing, orating, storytelling plump helmet man bards and lords ('created the position through force of argument' is a fantastic image). They only lose the ability to speak when they turn up at a fortress or in an adventurer for some reason. Pretty sure there's a bug report on it somewhere.

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 05:30:00 pm »

In the raws themselves they do not have mouths, so the speaking before adventure/fort mode is the bug

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 05:41:09 pm »

that is actually night mare fuel.

someone please draw a picture of a "plump helmet man mine" and post it, that would make my week

I will do it, you'll have it tomorrow

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 05:56:52 pm »

a Saint you are sir, please post it here, cant wait.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 06:04:06 pm »

In the raws themselves they do not have mouths, so the speaking before adventure/fort mode is the bug
Yes. That's what I meant. Plump helmet men aren't supposed to be able to speak, but worldgen doesn't notice.

This report seems the closest, although the title is a bit misleading. Plump Helmet Men become necromancers, live in towers, teach apprentices, but can't actually perform necromancy as it requires CAN_SPEAK.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9517
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:16:22 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 06:52:45 pm »

Truly a sad life for the plump helmet man necromancer. He was skilled enough to fight his way past all the zombies, killing the necromancers, actually having the ability to read, only to be thwarted by biology, and the inability to speak...

Still a better love story than twilight

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:39:32 pm »

Truly a sad life for the plump helmet man necromancer. He was skilled enough to fight his way past all the zombies, killing the necromancers, actually having the ability to read, only to be thwarted by biology, and the inability to speak...

I'd love to see a scene visualized in which a plump helmet man teaches his apprentice the secrets of life and death through the art of mime.

stillrabbit730

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 10:56:05 pm »

I'd love to see a scene visualized in which a plump helmet man teaches his apprentice the secrets of life and death through the art of mime.

Internet, please do your thing and make this a reality
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:03:40 pm by stillrabbit730 »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 11:30:38 pm »

Of course you need to talk to make corpses rise. If you don't tell them sweet words they feel neglected and stay to bed
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:43:29 pm by Cathar »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 12:14:03 am »

Of course you need to talk to make corpses rise. If you don't tell them sweet words they feel neglected and stay to bed

That image makes me deeply uncomfortable. I think it's the tightness of the pants.
Pages: [1] 2 3