Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My captive breeding programme did not turn out well.  (Read 1942 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
My captive breeding programme did not turn out well.
« on: May 01, 2017, 05:27:36 pm »

I've been experimenting with trapping and training and building a captive breeding programme for the local wildlife. I made an obvious error (it involved being distracted by a mood), and the not-quite-tame male and female giant grey langurs got away.  Now they know a few facts about the fort.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  They have not submitted to retrapping, but they attacked an apricot-picker, and they stole a bucket. They know just enough to be not friendly towards anyone from the fort any more. But what do they plan to do with the bucket, I wonder?

I'm also surprised by the blind cave bears being generally familiar about the fort. I breached the top pinnacle of a cavern, and immediately walled over the puncture. How could they possibly be aware of us as anything other than from a moment of diagonal gap in the roof of their cavern, a year ago? Are they familiar with the vibrations we make in the walls?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My captive breeding programme did not turn out well.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 08:18:17 pm »

Not sure if you're joking but those descriptions are your civ's general knowledge of the animal, not the other way around.

I like that idea, though - "How could you let them escape?! The langurs know too much! And that suspicious bucket, devil knows what they could be up to. . ."

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:45:02 am »

oh look, its Thisfox again... ;)

Im gonna let your mistake slip ever so slowly away.... nothing happened here... nothing at all...

ICYMI, wildlife will not become truly tame´. but you can breed them and then the kids will be completely tame.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 04:36:52 pm »

Are you following me, Great Sage, Equal of Heaven? I think that perhaps this is not my problem but instead yours {grin} Hey, this is even a monkey post! haha!

I realise they will not be tame, I'm just amused by the "a few facts" in red, when every other animal is not so labelled. Salmeuk is right, it's the dorfs who have the few facts not the langurs, but I am very amused by the dangerous concept of a set of angry apes in the woods with a few facts about us, and an ornate bucket. "They know too much!" indeed.

Can't get the little bastards into the sodding traps to be retamed at the moment. And I've been dealing with a not-so-amusing ettin attack.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 04:15:39 am »

Are ettin farms a thing? ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 03:13:43 pm »

But what do they plan to do with the bucket, I wonder?
Catsplosion.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 04:10:45 pm »

Dwarves have a general familiarity with anything that can be spotted in the upper cavern layers (1 and 2, I think) but virtually none starting with creatures that can be tamed but only occur in 3.

Now, on to the bucket: Milk kangaroos. Feed tiny langurs to make stonk and giant like them.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 07:27:57 pm »

Now, on to the bucket: Milk kangaroos. Feed tiny langurs to make stonk and giant like them.

Oh, that is SO why it happened! Yes yes yes!

Are ettin farms a thing? ;)

They would be, I think, if there were a breeding pair, but it was one male ettin and he's dead now. So are three dwarves, and assorted animals.... It was an epic battle.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 10:30:14 am »

They have not submitted to retrapping
Are they still partially trained (check the units list)? If so, that could explain why you can't trap them, and you ought to be able to just pasture them.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.