Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tools for playing atmospheric sounds, e.g. weather, during gameplay?  (Read 3585 times)

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine

I had a magical moment where it was raining in Dwarf Fortress while simultaneously there was the sound of rain from a video I had on in the background, and I realized then that having something that played atmospheric sounds to accompany the game would add so much. Is there anything that does this currently? I saw SoundSense, but it seemed to be much more focused on one-off sound effects than ambiance.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

SoundSense handles ambient sounds too, but IMHO they get really annoying in a hurry...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

problem is job cancelation sounds get really annoying once shit hits the fan.
weather and all other is quite fun.
also it doesnt seperate hunting and war fights so both get handled by the same sounds and you hear many annoying sounds once the hunter is busy.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tools for playing atmospheric sounds, e.g. weather, during gameplay?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 01:36:22 am »

problem is job cancelation sounds get really annoying once shit hits the fan.
weather and all other is quite fun.
also it doesnt seperate hunting and war fights so both get handled by the same sounds and you hear many annoying sounds once the hunter is busy.
If a particular noise annoys you, just edit it out of the configuration .xml files? It's really not that hard to tailor SoundSense to ones liking.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Tools for playing atmospheric sounds, e.g. weather, during gameplay?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 04:54:51 am »

they should just not spam. hearing job cancelations is important, but when shit hits the fan, they tend to be like every second sound you hear and sometimes even more than three cancellation sounds per second for longer than 10 minutes, it drives you mad.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)