Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Paradox Interactive Succession Game World (From CKII to EUIV to Vic2 to HoI4)  (Read 19761 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

The goal of this succession game is to run a game from 769 in Crusader Kings II, all the way up until Hearts of Iron IV.  That final game will be played until a world conquest has been achieved, and then all of this would form the basis of a Stellaris campaign.  However, we will not be playing a single dynasty through the whole game.  Instead, at the start of each new player's turn, they will be selecting a new country to play as.

Rules for CKII section
1) No one plays as the same dynasty as a prior player.  While limiting long term plays, this makes up for it in people being able to choose rulers based on how much free time they have, and would allow for a variety of perspectives on the world.  One player's ruler's glorious expansion of a nation could be regarded as the next player's ruler as a horrific nightmare.
1a) If you get a second turn later on, you may only select a new dynasty if your prior dynasty has completely died off or there are no playable members of that dynasty.  Might as well see where your dynasty ended up over the years since you last had a turn, as it is likely to get lost as people focus on their own.  Maybe you'll find it fell on hard times and only you can bring it back to glory.
2) Do not use Conclave.  While Monks and Mystics does need to be checked, Conclave is the only DLC thus far known to lock players out if they don't have the DLC.  With the rest (Monks and Mystics unknown), any combination of DLC can load up a save file, from vanilla to having all but Conclave enabled (M&M unknown if true), but Conclave prevents the save file from being loaded by people who do not have the DLC.
3) When getting close to the end date of 1453, in order to get a turn, you must own the EUIV converter DLC.  We're wanting to convert the save over, so we want someone who owns the DLC to have the turn when we reach the end date so that it can be converted.

Crusader Kings II
1) King Baeivi of Kola (Player: Zanzetkuken the Great) (Dynasty: Guoladat <White Tree on Brown Field Sigil>) (Time: January 1, 769 - October 13, 796) (Posts: See below)
2) King Snorri of Ireland (Player: Tawa) (Dynasty: av Alfheim <Three Green Stags on White Field Sigil>) (October 13, 796 - July 9, 826) (Posts: Here)
3) Emir Aghlab of Azd Umanid Emirate (Player: LordBrassRoast)(Dynasty: Azd Umanid <White Waning Crescent Moon and Star on a Green and Red Field Sigil>) (July 9, 836 - May 21, 833)(Posts: Here)
4) Maharaja Gopala II "The Inquisitor" of Pala Kingdom (Player: Persus13)(Dynasty: Pala <White Eight Pointed Star on a Green Field Sigil> (May 21, 833 - January 20, 845)(Posts: Here)
5) Khagan Fereedun of Khwatawch (Player: Cicero)(Dynasty: Khwatawch <Red Torches on a Green Field Sigil)(January 20, 845 - December 21, 872)(Posts: Here)
6) WolfHunter107
7) Sheb

Europa Universalis IV

Victoria II
1) George_Chickens

Hearts of Iron IV

King Baeivi of Kola

Spoiler: World at Start of Life (click to show/hide)

King Baeivi of Kola was a powerful individual who rapidly rose to power from his tribes among the bay of Kola.  Through his actions, much of the northern, eastern, and western regions of Scandinavia were united under a singular ruler.  The little in the east that did not belong to this king either belonged to his ally in southern Scandinavia, the King of Danmark Porolfr the Shadow, his neutral acquantance, High Chief of Ilmen Rodislav the Wise, his foe, King of Sweden Hogne the Devil, or the small land held by Snorri of Alfheimr.

Events of note during his reign are the Manichean faith overtaking Zoroastrianism, the Ionoclast faith overtaking Orthodoxy, and the establishment of the Shia Caliphate of Nizamid.  Further, the Kingdom of France broke away from the lands of Middle Francia after succession, the Kingdom of Prussia was formed under Bezprzym 'the Chaste' of Prussia, and the subjugation of Saxony by King Karl.  The last of these three managed to secure independence soon after the King had been killed by the Jewish soldier of the Khazar Band, Meshulam of Dhrol.  The most notable aspect of Baeivi's reign is that it is commonly regarded that the rapid expansion of his Sami Suomenusko state was one of the reasons behind the start of the Viking Age near the end of his reign.

Spoiler: World at End of Life (click to show/hide)

(I recognize my contribution is a bit barebones.  However. if I put it up in the AAR style, all I would have had would have amounted to 'war is done, declare another war,' so I figured I might as well try to create something different.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:03:55 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I'm interested, but I have exams for the next week.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

I'd love to take the next game. I was initially thinking taking the king of Sweden could be interesting, but on second thought I'd rather not wreck the precarious beginnings of a Suomenusko nation (seriously, I envy you. I get destroyed whenever I play in Finland.)

Instead, I think I'll see if I can do a Prepared Invasion of Northumbria as Ragnarr Loðbrok (or maybe Snorri of Alfheim, since he's independent and not in jail at game start.) That sound alright? I figure I'll do a Rurik of Russia-style thing and adopt Catholicism, perhaps adopting Anglo-Saxon culture somewhere along the way.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

(seriously, I envy you. I get destroyed whenever I play in Finland.)

My advice?  Get a leader with Brave, Inspiring Leader, Unyielding, and a decent martial score as soon as possible.  The Morale Defense plus the increased Morale of the religion means that your soldiers just won't go down (seriously, I was in a shock phase for several days, best I could get was around 30, while an enemy near parity was regularly getting 100.  Took weeks for the morale to lose 1/6, and they were almost beaten.  I wasn't defending during that either.  And in another battle, I was again attacking and, at one point, struck by both the center and both flanks by forces that outnumbered mine.  Morale barely budged an inch.)

Admittedly, the conquests before I had those largely boiled down to 'I am the only one with a decent Martial Score and multiple pieces of land around here.'  Starting lands of Kola are a bit...weak, to say the least.

Instead, I think I'll see if I can do a Prepared Invasion of Northumbria as Ragnarr Loðbrok (or maybe Snorri of Alfheim, since he's independent and not in jail at game start.) That sound alright? I figure I'll do a Rurik of Russia-style thing and adopt Catholicism, perhaps adopting Anglo-Saxon culture somewhere along the way.

I say to try to go for Snorri if you want to go with a Nordic character.  As soon as Denmark is done with Sweden, he'll be gunning for the de jure land, so you could have the Prepared Invasion be considered an Exodus of his people to new lands.  Bonus as one of the causes of consilidation that forced him to flee was a result of King Baeivi.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, the prepared invasion route didn't go quite as planned. As it turns out, a prepared invasion counts as a holy war, and doesn't give you nearly enough troops to deal with an entire army of Christians going buddy-buddy over each other. I went instead for the much safer route of uniting Ireland via conquest.

I turned off Monks and Mystics to play it safe, although my lack of Horse Lords gave me a minor surprise when I saw that Khazaria was still Nomadic (they kept spamming me marriage offers for some reason.) Alongside a frig-ton of graphical DLC, I'm running a couple of graphical mods (Saxons use German Faces, Western Slavs use Russian Faces, Foal Portraits, that kind of thing,) but I don't think that should interfere with the ability to reopen the save (since they don't change the checksum.)

Save.

Spoiler: The world in 826 (click to show/hide)

Additional note: man, it feels really tense when you're only allowed to play as one guy. I was really afraid of dying prematurely before accomplishing any of my goals. At least in the end, I managed to do almost everything I wanted to once I dropped my ambitions on England: united Ireland, moved capital to Ireland, and swapped to Christian alongside my vassals. I'd have turned Irish, too, but I want Snorri's descendants to be able to milk Norse culture for everything it's worth. The only thing I missed was going feudal, and even that was only because I kept forgetting to increase tribal organization.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Looks like Kola may wind up going under slow annexation by Sweden.  Also looks like Prussia disintegrated itself.  Lombardy is expanding in Africa as well, and the Abbasids fully annexed Ethiopia and Somolia.  Really interesting that Asturias hasn't been attacked by the Umayyads yet.

Weird stuff that doesn't make any sense:
  - Kola went Tengri for no bloody reason, which I hope changes back soon because blue is an awful color for the stripes covering Suomenusko territory (and Tengri has 0 moral authority anyway.)

Okay, did my heir die without one of his own?  I had a lot of matrilineal marriages cooked up with a bunch of people, so it might be that one of their kids got the inheritance.

As for Saxony, I think I mentioned they were annexed by Karl Karling, but at some point they managed to secure independence.

Additional note: man, it feels really tense when you're only allowed to play as one guy. I was really afraid of dying prematurely before accomplishing any of my goals. At least in the end, I managed to do almost everything I wanted to once I dropped my ambitions on England: united Ireland, moved capital to Ireland, and swapped to Christian alongside my vassals. I'd have turned Irish, too, but I want Snorri's descendants to be able to milk Norse culture for everything it's worth. The only thing I missed was going feudal, and even that was only because I kept forgetting to increase tribal organization.

Really gives you the pressure a ruler would have felt, doesn't it?

I'm interested, but I have exams for the next week.

Just realized something that you could do.  Since we are working on the basis of nonlinear heirs, you could take a turn, then find someone really old to play as.  Keep the speed high, and you should be able to get through gameplay pretty quickly (and if it seems like things are going too long, go for a reign of tyranny and declare war on everyone to crash and burn the nation).  Follow it up with a quick writeup that summarizes the reign.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dunno what happened with Kola. I think it's still your dynasty, and the guy in charge at least looks Finno-Ugric, so that could be it.

Asturias is baffling in this timeline. I don't think I've ever seen them go this long without at least a county conquest or two, the Umayyads usually feel safe taking it in little chunks like that.
As for Saxony, I think I mentioned they were annexed by Karl Karling, but at some point they managed to secure independence.
Yeah, I was just confused that they somehow managed to snag one of the Frisian counties from East Francia at some point. I think this is the only game I've ever seen where Saxony has managed to stay Germanic and remain independent after the Widukind for so long, let alone see it take land from the Germans.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:06:05 pm by Tawa »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I dunno what happened with Kola. I think it's still your dynasty, and the guy in charge at least looks Finno-Ugric, so that could be it.

Asturias is baffling in this timeline. I don't think I've ever seen them go this long without at least a county conquest or two, the Umayyads usually feel safe taking it in little chunks like that.
Yeah, I was just confused that they somehow managed to snag one of the Frisian counties from East Francia at some point. I think this is the only game I've ever seen where Saxony has managed to stay Germanic and remain independent after the Widukind for so long, let alone see it take land from the Germans.

And you say most if not all of the Nomads have settled as well?

Honestly, what I still find is the strangest thing is that Charlegmagne was somehow killed on the battlefield by a landless Jew of a mercenary company.  That is something I have never seen before.  Admittedly, that can be said about a lot of things in this timeline.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Went into the save, and have two things to say.  One, can someone please go in and disband the event troops of the Shia Caliphate?  Those really should have disbanded after their war, especially since the total number of event troops alone is more than anyone else can call upon.

Second, Tawa, why did you not mention there were two Armenias?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are two Armenias? Well then. Probably the "Perm Perm Perm" issue where the kingdom and its capital duchy have the same name but the two are independent of one another.

And yeah, most of the nomads are Iqta nowadays, with the weird exception being the "Khitan" (cough, cough, Chinese-but-it's-not-modeled-in-game) guys who control Mongolia in the 769 start. At least we'll get a new influx of them when Temujin shows up.

How many event troops does the Caliph have?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

There are two Armenias? Well then. Probably the "Perm Perm Perm" issue where the kingdom and its capital duchy have the same name but the two are independent of one another.

And yeah, most of the nomads are Iqta nowadays, with the weird exception being the "Khitan" (cough, cough, Chinese-but-it's-not-modeled-in-game) guys who control Mongolia in the 769 start. At least we'll get a new influx of them when Temujin shows up.

How many event troops does the Caliph have?

Hilariously, the Duke of Armenia has more land than the King of Armenia.

They have a little over 16k in event troops.  Yeah, bit overkill.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They have a little over 16k in event troops.  Yeah, bit overkill.
Oh jeez, that's nuts.

Reminds me of last time I ran an Ireland game. I was bored, so I decided to try to get a horse family for kicks and conquered Ireland to get enough space for a prince-bishopric. Unfortunately, my plan fell apart when a revolt defeated one of the local Irish counts and there was a more or less undefeatable guy in central Ireland with over 10,000 troops and one county.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Have LordBrassRoast go before me. I don't have time until maybe Sunday or Monday.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I'd like to sign up for a turn.

Well, download the turn then.  There's no one ahead of you right now.  When you do, kindly pop into the Nizamid Shia Caliphate and knock out just the 16k event troops, before you go with whatever ruler you wish.  They've got enough land that it has shifted from 'necessary protection against the big guys' to 'game breaking'.

Have LordBrassRoast go before me. I don't have time until maybe Sunday or Monday.

Understood.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9