Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Where did you first hear about Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 13078 times)

wolflance

• Bay Watcher
  • Not knowing is half the Fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you first hear about Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #165 on: June 15, 2010, 10:42:03 am »

Discovered about the game through TV Trope...around 40d-era. Tried but failed to play the game...
Then I found out that 2010 is out, and gave it another try, and hooked since then.

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 15, 2010, 12:09:57 pm »

I heard about it on 4chan....
On any other forum my name would be considered dirty

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2010, 01:07:30 pm »

Kinda by accident.  I was wandering around looking for good roguelike games, and stumbled upon this, shortly before 40d started.  Though I about gave up after my first fortress because I had no idea how to do anything...then I stumbled upon Captain Ducks fantastic youtube tutorials.

MP2E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2010, 01:32:13 pm »

I was referred to it by a friend. I got really competitive in the old 1993 game DooM(Online with a sourceport called Skulltag, actually) and ended up joining a competitive clan. One of the members(named Mikehail, I doubt he actually posts here) is a DF addict. He introduced me to the game, when I pulled up the page and saw the ASCII graphics, instead of being repelled like most people I was intrigued by the challenge of learning this game. After asking a load of questions to mikehail and reading on the wiki, I discovered just how state of the art and indepth this game can really be. And here I am :P

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2010, 02:40:48 pm »

I heard about it earlier, but article about DF on TvTropes convinced me more than enough to give it a shot. It was a few months ago.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2010, 03:03:06 pm »

I was first baited to check out Dwarf Fortress by one of my D&D buddies. she'd given me a run-down of her raid of a Goblin Tower as an Elven Adventurer, where she was saving kids, kicking ass, and sniping archers. In the end, she was cornered at the top of a many-tiered Temple, was struck by arrows, surrounded by melee combatants, and bleeding to death, so she had to dive into the water pool in the center to escape her pursuers... and that this sort of thing happened in a game had me completely awetruck.

We tried a Succession Game, where we built a Green Glass Pyramid in the desert, over a magma vent... and though I was completely dumbfounded by the interface, the complexity and possibilities in the game got me hooked.

And yeah, so now I'm here.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:04:58 pm by Solifuge »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2010, 11:52:21 pm »

I come from the land of TvTropes. Bless the Random button.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 16, 2010, 01:21:24 am »

Heard of it in the context of someone recommending "the guy who designed Dwarf Fortress" to be a one-man production team for Spore, then read it up on TvTropes (a website I had found out from there).

freeaxle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 16, 2010, 02:12:38 am »

I heard about it from a friend who compared it to Dungeon Keeper. Loved that game so I gave it a shot and realised just how 2 dimensional (in more ways than one  ;))  DK was in comparison. First real sense of achievement was digging a canal and NOT flooding my fortress because I forgot about the z levels.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2010, 03:05:41 am »

You know, I really don't know.  I think I was playing a different game at the time, I think something weird like Minecraft or something, and people started talking about making a mountain fort like in "Dwarf Fortress", which brought on the discussion of what the fuck DF was.  It was described as "dropping elephants onto enemies and hearing their screams as magma flows in from the walls".  That made me go 'wtf' so I googled it and here I am, though I didn't join in on the fun immediately.  Took me a while (til I found Mayday's) to actually start playing the game, because ASCII is intolerable.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 16, 2010, 03:21:04 am »

The first time I actually tried to hear about it (sans 4chan memes), I was on TV Tropes, which lead me to read the Boatmurdered LP, and I'm now reading through Headshoots. After about a day of trying to figure stuff out, I started to get how to play the game. And now I'm totally hooked.
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Blackdutchie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 16, 2010, 06:43:55 am »

somewhere on the internets.
then someday i got sick and thought: i wonder what that 'dwarf fortress' is all about.
so i looked it up on youtube, and hey, there were some 'how to play''s.
so i watched those in bed, laptop on lap, and that's how i got started.
Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Flying Carcass
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
The first lesson taught by DF is patience.
The second: Madness.
The third: Magma, properly applied, solves all problems.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 16, 2010, 07:27:42 am »

I'll jump on the "here via TvTropes" bandwagon. From the Disaster Dominoes page to Boatmurdered, and then there was no going back. TvTropes really WILL ruin your life. It's not enough that it manages it on its own. Oh no. It subcontracts to other addictive stuff.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 16, 2010, 12:12:57 pm »

Followed a link from Three Panel Soul to the story of Boatmurdered. Had to try it out after that, been playing since before 40d.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 16, 2010, 01:50:00 pm »

My ex linked me to boatmurdered.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13