Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Where did you first hear about Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 13083 times)

Muffy St. Bernard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dangermuff.com
Re: Where did you first hear about Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

I read about Dwarf Fortress on a long-lost friend's blog. Delighted that it had Mac OSX support, I downloaded it and was instantly frustrated by the user interface and a lack of reference material (what are these ASCII symbols supposed to BE?)

The next day I discovered the Dwarf Fortress Wiki and tried again, this time following the excellent "Your First Fortress" instructions. I was hooked, in a way that I haven't been hooked on a game in years.

How do I regain my spare time? When do I sleep again? Why am I dreaming about endlessly moving barrels from one place to another? The whole situation is bitter sweet...

...but mostly sweet.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »

I heard about DF through the Galactic Civilization 2 forums -- a poster described some excellent games, many of which I've loved (Dominions 3, Master of Magic and so on), and mentioned this one. Seeing it listed with so many of my favorites, I had to check it out. I was a little afraid of the ASCII screenshots ... but graphics have never turned me off before. The complexity of creature and dwarf interactions really drew me in.

It's now my favorite game. It's even gotten me to try all the other great Roguelike games I've missed out on over the years, so I've been pretty busy!

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

Something Awful Forums (Boatmurdered)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

I read the Castlerooter thread on the SA forums.  No, I don't have an account.  I just visit occasionally.

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

Well, add a third one to the "from jayisgames.com" group.  I'm actually one of the reviewers for the site these day, but I think I was just a normal visitor and IRC denizen back then.

Hmm, that reminds me, I need to work on the dRive review at some point.  Eh... maybe later, I've been coding all day, so it's time to give myself a treat.  *launches DF*

Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

Someone at work suggested it to me.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

4chan and Something Awful for me. I would see frequent discussion of DF and was impressed by the descriptions from the players, but could never play it because I'm on a Mac.

One day, I decided to check Bay 12's site again.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »

Let's see, I was in cardiff visitiing my brother for christmas. He told me about this game and that a couple of his friends were going crazy about it and that he couldn't really get into it. I tried it and I've been here ever since... Yeesh two years, has it been that long?

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

I first heard about it through an indie games site, but wasn't really interested.  I was like "Ehh, it's another roguelike.  I still haven't beaten ADOM, and I'll play that if I want to play a roguelike."

Later, I saw it again on Aaron Williams' site.  He does several comics I really like: Nodwick, Full Frontal Nerdity, and PS238.  Since he recommended it, I decided I ought to check it out.

And I just kept checking it out.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

I found it on the Nexus War forums.  I believe the thread title was something like "Fun Roguelike".  Being a fan of Nethack I decided to check it out and haven't stopped playing since.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MadKap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by valcon:
<STRONG>a friend who read about it on the penny-arcade forums</STRONG>

Wokeye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2008, 02:00:00 am »

PC Powerplay forums (Aussie PC gaming mag).  Big thread there.
warf Fortress, BF2:PR and Dominions 3 Fanatic

Cantona_7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2008, 02:06:00 am »

Reading an interview with George Moromisato, creator of Nethack/Asteroids hybrid Transcendence, and he mentioned something about DF. Spent the next 4 hours (with the wiki) figuring it out, and many hours later I'm still playing.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

Was looking for cartography software for a NWN2 mod. Somehow ended up on a site which mentionned DF. Checked it out a week later and got hooked to it.

Katawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2008, 07:41:00 am »

tigsource
att has been attacked by a dead and still annoying acquaintance lately.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13