Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Where did you first hear about Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 12937 times)

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you first hear about Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 05:13:00 am »

Paradox OT fora. Someone posted a thread about it and since it has sucked up more than only my free time (lets say I ahve experienced a masive drop in work efficiency).

Can really recoment the EUOT (europa universalis Off-topic) as a forum. has a very nice tone, and very lenghty, detailed and informed discussion in most possible (and inpossible) matters. Altough moderation has become a bit too harsh lately.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 05:19:00 am »

Absolute Games forums. Someone made a topic about the game (back when it was 2D), described it a little, and asked the usual question of "how the hell do you set up irrigation". I got curious, because of both the question and the description of the game appealed to me, checked it out, and got drawn in.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Javewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 05:58:00 am »

I was looking for a rougelike via google and wikipedia, found DF and have been in love ever since.

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 06:32:00 am »

Somewhere early in '06 I found out about Dwarf Fortress.  Not sure from where at first, as my first time delving into Dwarf Fortress was short-lived in boredom.  
I had checked out the main web page of bay12games, and I was unimpressed with the childish logo and lame web design.  I also remember stumbling on the "sub games" link, with its warnings and I thought to myself that this indeed was a rather childish game developer.  

I eventually stumbled on Boatmurdered after a couple weeks, which really got me into Dwarf Fortress unlike last time.  I remember being so surprised at seeing my dwarves move, and I have to say my greatest joy came from my first order to mine the cave wall on the right.  I had a craving to know more, how to survive, and ....

... one year later, I have been converted to a Toady One fanboy ^^
And I look back at the main site and sub games link, and man can someone's view be curved when a fanboy.  I practically look in utter adoration at the logo and laugh in the humor of the sub games description.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 07:47:00 am »

I read about it in this column on gamesetwatch. It was listing all the major rougelikes and Dwarf Fortress was on there. I read about it and although I didn't download it immediately it stuck in the back of my mind until I eventually took the plunge.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 07:55:00 am »

I heard about it here back when it was called that game with dwarves.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 08:36:00 am »

Roguelikes.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 08:42:00 am »

It was mentioned on an ADOM forum in the "other roguelikes" section.

When I first tried it, I had no interest in trying dwarf mode. I tried adventure mode, and thought to myself "This is crap!" and deleted DF.

Then I started reading about it elsewhere and after a while I gave it another go. I tried Dwarf Mode and fell in love. I even like adventure mode now  ;)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 09:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wooty:
<STRONG>Personally, I got it from Jayisgames.com - a site that usually reviews gadgety/cartoon graphics/point and click type games. They'll usually review stuff like Grow or Escape the Room games, and I was rather suprised when they had a violent ASCII game.

Out of curiosity I downloaded it... I have never played a game where 7 hours of trying to figure out controls didn't frustrate me at all. It was addicting for no apparent reason. Games like Corins Mystery Massacre, I look at the game, I look at the manual, mess around for about 20 minutes to no avail, and then I get frustrated and quit. There's just something about DF...</STRONG>

Haha, that's about the exact way I found it. Was doing my daily (now weekly) browse though the recent reviews, and in the Download section there was Dwarf Fortress. I'm a sucker for good rpgs/roguelikes/city-building games/sim games and DF was heaven, once I learned the controls.

Fenrir

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 09:36:00 am »

It's all a little blurry now, because I can't imagine life without DF anymore. I know I had discovered it after I started playing ADOM, so I think I was looking for more roguelikes to play and stumbled upon a link to this game from some unkown corner of the internet.
I was addicted to this game before I began playing. I'm serious. After I discovered it, I couldn't wait to get the chance to download it.

Lacota

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 09:51:00 am »

I was playing another game, called Aquaria. went to ask about a problem I was having, while waiting for a reply, I found the General forums. it was mentioned there.

Needless to say, I nolonger play Aquaria, or any other game for that matter. DF is all consuming *twitch*

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 10:45:00 am »

I was on Mount&Blade forums, and found a thread about Dwarf Fortress. Downloaded the game, but never checked it out. After 2 months, found the file on the depths of my HD and tried it. In the end I prefer DF over Mount&Blade   :D

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

From a thread in the Total War Center forums.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 11:04:00 am »

About four or so days before the 3D version was released, I started browsing the SA games forum and saw a DF thread.

"Hrm, I like dwarves..." *click*

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nite/m4re:
<STRONG>I was on Mount&Blade forums, and found a thread about Dwarf Fortress. Downloaded the game, but never checked it out. After 2 months, found the file on the depths of my HD and tried it. In the end I prefer DF over Mount&Blade    :D</STRONG>

I should take royalties for every person who comes here via Taleworlds...I'm kinda proud that my thread is approaching 2k replies  :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13