Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Where did you first hear about Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 12936 times)

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you first hear about Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »

A ten word mention in a chat room "Dwarfortress is a game I never want to play again." I asked what it was and I got a link, the rest is history.
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

I found out about through usenet, on the rec.games.roguelike.developer newsgroup, back in August 2006.

I feel so 1337.

[ January 21, 2008: Message edited by: Guy ]

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

I was looking for tutorials for the NWN2 toolset and clicked some link to a guy's homepage, or something.  I was confused by the lack of tutorials, but saw something about feeding and watering dwarves and had to check it out, and discovered that, yes, losing is fun.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Lacota

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »

It's amazing how well Word of Mouth works  :) I've got a bunch of friends just starting into DF.

Its kind of funny when you see them making the same mistakes as you did  :D

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

Skyrage, though I knew DF by your post, I should thanks Johnathan Andrews for his report  :)

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

Heard about it on the penny arcade lets play. I usually end up playing the games they do those about. I read boatmurdered and have probably sunk 500+ hours into the game since 23a.

I also harassed my friend every hour for a week to play it, because he had been playing a lot of liberal crime squad at the time and I needed someone to play succession games with.

Jades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jades.org
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 04:21:00 pm »

PC Gamer UK did a two page spread in Issue 169 (Christmas 2006) and included a version on the cover disc. I found the idea of the game interesting, and when the fan failed on my 3D card a couple of months later I gave it a go.

Other than Football Manager 2006 and the new Carriers at War, DF was pretty much the only thing I played throughout the whole of 2007 from late Spring onwards - even after reparing and later replacing the 3D card...

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by thvaz:
<STRONG>Skyrage, though I knew DF by your post, I should thanks Johnathan Andrews for his report   :)</STRONG>

Hush, he posted that report in my thread so nyah! :P

Fuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

4chan
tray Kitten (Tame) has adopted Fuzz.  Bay Watcher.

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

Down at RogueBasin, looking for the next big thing in ASCII entertainment. Haven't been the same since...
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Locus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »

A Something Awful Let's Play thread, a few months before Boatmurdered. I was drawn in by the tragedy and drama, and quickly picked up the ins and outs of Fortress Mode.

AW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »

Rock, Paper, Shotgun a week or two before Thanksgiving 2007.
hen smiley and capital U meets, you better be afraid!  -- Deto on interbreeding in DF

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

Way back in October 06', I was skint and bored of all my games, so I went looking for some kind of free game on the internet to fill my time. Can't remember where I saw it now, but it was via some very random searching and for the life of me I don't know what possessed me after that to download the game, I'd never played anything like a roguelike in my life. Heh. If you'd told me then I'd be donating money to the guy making this cute, free, no graphics game I had just found, I'd probably have laughed in your face.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

Toady's release list tells me that I downloaded my first copy in January of '07, shortly after the release of the last 2D version.. I probably found it with random searching for free games, like the above poster.

I had run-ins with roguelikes way back when I first got a 'net connection, but I couldn't figure them out (possibly because I didn't read the manuals...). A few years after that, I picked up NetHack and was hooked to anything of that sort. I saw this, thought it would be awesome (and was right), and have been in and out ever since.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

I was randomly browsing the interweb for something, and came across a list with DF mentioned on it.  Having wasted many hours with Angband way back when, I downloaded DF, ran it once, fell off the learning curve and didn't touch it for a while.  Then I read my way through some more reviews and forum posts, gave it another go and was hooked like a carp hooks a dwarf.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13