Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Where did you first hear about Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 12935 times)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you first hear about Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

Friend of mine told me about it.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

quote:
I can't imagine life without DF anymore.

There's life without DF?
Was looking for good free Indie games, and DF got on a list somewhere in the top 10. Sounded interesting, as I have been recently pissed off at the gaming industry for continuously regurgitating ever more streamlined/simplified/glorified/over hyped and shiny crap. I swear, they're not even making GAMES anymore they're just making rendering engines. Game play and game mechanics don't even make it into reviews anymore. And of course I'm pissed off at the people who keep buying the same damn thing over and over because the graphics are slightly improved (UT is a great example).

[ January 22, 2008: Message edited by: Idiom ]

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

On this very site, there was a thread in "Curses Arcade" forum where what later become Dwarf Fortress was discussed.

Manicmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2008, 11:57:00 pm »

I was looking for something to replace my buggy (from scratched cd) copy of dungeon keeper 2, and majesty, and evil genius. basically started off looking for an open source dk-esque game. A few links later I found df.
JESUS CHRIST ITS A SKELK!!! GET IN THE WAGON!!!<BR>Originally posted by penguinofhonor:<P>It''s true what someone once said, "The only things more insane than the dwarves are the players."
Anticheese: The undead don't kill. They recruit
Momaw: Ennui is a pointless word.  By the time you're feeling it, you don't care what it's called

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

I've always been a fool for city-building sims, but I wasn't even looking for that kind of game when I somehow stumbled on the Home of the Underdogs' link to the Bay Twelve homepage.  *click*  "What's this 'Dwarf Fortress' thing?"  *click*  ...

Hook, line, and sinker.

Normally I insist on graphics (ASCII games never really did it for me), but I guess there's an exception to every rule.  Now I'm not sure if I wouldn't stay with ASCII mode even if DF ever offered a graphical option, I just like the retro look so much with my dwarves.   :)

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

Funny story.  I friend of mine told me I should check out slipshine.net (for those that don't know, it's an adult comic site)  while there, looking at previews and deciding if i should spend my money I saw a reference to DF in the chat box.  The rest, as they say, is history.    :D

Edit: spelling

[ January 23, 2008: Message edited by: sorbius ]

keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

The developers of the Half-Life 2 mod Zombie Master are Dwarf Fortress players, so I kept hearing it referenced by them in the off-topic forums for their mod.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

Ars Technica game forum and Penny arcade forum, a month or so after it came out.  I liked it but probably would have given up after a week without the wiki ;p

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

Was looking for cool indie games.  Found it on some indie games rating site.  This is the only one I am still playing, and the only one I will be for the foreseeable future!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »

Some guy on the forums for the Cybernations alliance I'm part of made a topic about DF. He also gave a link to Boatmurdered.

UNTELLIGENT WANT PLAY THIS GAME YOU CALL DF.

[ January 25, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

vallannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

Recreation.games.roguelike.development on usenet. Tried it once fairly early on but was on a slow computer and it took worldgen 3 hours. Plus I only tried adventure mode.

Then, say 6-9 months on I picked it up again and tried dwarf-mode: I was hooked.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

I heard about it way back on Bill Harris' "Dubious Quality" in 2006.  He had a really interesting perspective on it and was impressed with it. So I tried it out but found it way too obtuse. Two years later I tried it again and found it much more fun to play.

[ April 17, 2008: Message edited by: Richards ]

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »

A friend of mine was playing it, telling me he had enough food to feed 50 dwarves with his starting 7, and how stupid were his dwarves to decorate doors with fish bones.
Didn't catch at that time.
A few years later, i told myself "what if I gave it a try?"
I didn't understand the true consequences of that day.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

Read a thread on it from a place called Board2, looked at it, and dismissed it.

Three days later I got bored, downloaded it, and tried it.  I guess I was too used to the 'traditional' tech tree- I had issues understanding why beds didn't come first (XD).

ANOTHER three days later, and I learned how to play, and I"ve never put it down since.

Hell, I design machine logic for it on my TI-89! (Of course, just about every piece of it requires the rotation sensor in the suggestions forum :P)

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Krano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

What's nice about Dwarf Fortress, much like all ascii games, is you don't have to worry about attracting the wrong kind of fan base when advertising it. Even if you post a link for it on a site seemingly filled with only infants and/or cave men (/b/, Gaiaonline, Myspace etc.)the only people who won't be weeded out by the interface are the patient intellectuals (read: OCD geeks).

Unfortunately, while necessary for more fans/donations, this also means tile-sets and an interface tune-up are counter-intuitive, community-wise.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13