Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress mode: Engraving images onto slabs  (Read 846 times)

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
Fortress mode: Engraving images onto slabs
« on: May 12, 2017, 08:37:25 pm »

I think you should be able to engrave images onto slabs, for example, a hall of legendary heroes that won't restrict movement like statues.
I also think you should be able to put notes on these, either as captions or making it into a sign, for future adventurers.

For example:
This is a gabbro slab. On the slab there is an image of a jungle titan and a sparrow man. The jungle titan is dead. The sparrow man is laughing.
The caption reads "The smallest creature can overpower the greatest titan."
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress mode: Engraving images onto slabs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 08:52:25 pm »

Who would carve the words though, and how would they be generated? I don't think there are any other examples of players being able to directly write stuff into the world yet (besides play aid notes).

Not that I think they definitely shouldn't be able to, but if you can freehand slabs, then why not books, poetry, musical forms, etc.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:02:27 pm »

Who would carve the words though, and how would they be generated? I don't think there are any other examples of players being able to directly write stuff into the world yet (besides play aid notes).

Not that I think they definitely shouldn't be able to, but if you can freehand slabs, then why not books, poetry, musical forms, etc.
It's sort of like telling them what to put in a statue or what to engrave.
Bay12 Evo game
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 03:35:58 am »

It's sort of like telling them what to put in a statue or what to engrave.
But right now that's limited to pictures of things that actually exist in your particular world (plus dorf myths like griffons, etc), which you select from a menu. That's not the same as Dorfs inscribing the exact text the player wants to inscribe. In a world of Dorf-made space invader machines it really shouldn't matter if players want to write un-dorfy things, but as I said, the thinking would probably be, if slabs are OK then surely books, poetry, etc and you've then ended up with a lot of work to put in and a need to work out what the limits are going to be.

It's probably something that'll be addressed when the editor is introduced.

--edit
Just to clarify, inscribing stuff on slabs like walls and floors is a great idea. It's just the freehand text I think might be iffy.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:38:47 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 07:49:25 am »

I'd say it would only really need to applicable to large objects or engravings - Things someone might reasonably want to add a caption to, or use for warnings and such, for flavor if nothing else, unless a mechanic is added that detects keywords and object proximity - if you had a sign depicting a forgotten beast or goblins and have the caption "DANGER" engraved in a wall beside a door, dwarves would know to avoid it, their pathfinding functionally ignoring the area directly attached to that warning sign and door, because it's next to that door.

Plus, for statues and engravings, again using keywords a unit might like, dislike, or be indifferent to the caption if it mentions things they like, dislike, or don't care about.

For freehanding things in general, it's probably be limited to adventure mode, allowing you to keep proper journals in-game, perhaps for others to find if you pass the world around, or for you to recover from the lair of a mighty beast that killed your last adventurer, stuff like that.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 12:18:43 pm »

That's just kind of distracting from their clairvoyant, though them actively hurrying up upon seeing a confirmation of thier destination and leaving these messages around for flavour would be nice.

Signposts just being two tiles tall wooden poles with directions written on them i guess at the side of roads.