Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon traps causing a crash  (Read 1412 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon traps causing a crash
« on: May 13, 2017, 12:27:28 am »

So, after a couple times when my game crashed, I figured out that it seems to be a known bug with weapon traps, and wear being applied to the weapon components.

Are there workarounds for this issue ? Or do I have to abandon the use of weapon traps completely ?

Like, will steel components last forever ? or will they still crash the game ?

Do training weapons last forever ? in previous games, I used a few weapon traps loaded out with wooden clubs and things, on top of faerie bridges, so that invaders that dodged, would fall off the bridge, onto spikes several z-levels below.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon traps causing a crash
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 01:43:25 am »

A theory is that DF only crashes if weapon trap components break, in which case a weapon trap filled with actual weapons should work OK, i.e. weapons in the traps would break when worn without crashing the game. I don't know if it has been verified, but it sounds plausible.
The only things that won't take damage are artifacts, and I don't think strange moods can result in artifacts trap components. As far as I understand, candy is subject to the least wear, while everything else wears more, and you probably don't wan to waste candy on traps. In summary, I'd use the material most appropriate to the kind of damage you're trying to deal.

A work around would be to examine each weapon trap after usage to tear it down and rebuild it to remove worn components. That still wouldn't work 100%, though.

I don't use training weapons, but I see no reason to assume they would be immune to wear. If the "actual weapons are OK" theory is correct, you should be able to deck out your repeating (and fixed) menacing spike traps with actual (training) spears rather than spikes.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 02:18:07 pm »

A theory is that DF only crashes if weapon trap components break, in which case a weapon trap filled with actual weapons should work OK, i.e. weapons in the traps would break when worn without crashing the game. I don't know if it has been verified, but it sounds plausible.
I find that to be highly unlikely - as far as the trap is concerned, there is absolutely no difference between a trap component and a weapon.

I don't think strange moods can result in artifacts trap components.
They most definitely can - a Weaponsmith mood has a ~9% chance to produce a trap component, and a Bone Carver mood has a very small chance to make one.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 07:58:44 am »

I find that to be highly unlikely - as far as the trap is concerned, there is absolutely no difference between a trap component and a weapon.

Agreed. I never bother with trap components myself, and just use excess weapons accumulated via goblinite. Still had the crashing last time I used weapon traps, with just junk copper and bronze weapons in them, not trap components. I just quit using them, sticking to cages, or straight brute military force.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:30:13 am »

Thanks for clearing that up!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 11:54:43 am »

Still had the crashing last time I used weapon traps, with just junk copper and bronze weapons in them, not trap components. I just quit using them, sticking to cages, or straight brute military force.

I see. That's useful, if disappointing, to know. Though, my main interest in weapon traps isn't really relevant anymore - I play a modded race, of drows, and I had quite the goblin leather industry going in previous versions, and serrated discs helped in the production of materials for the goblin leather industry. But since you can't butcher sentients even if your modded civilisation has the ethic to, then that's no longer relevant.

I don't use training weapons, but I see no reason to assume they would be immune to wear.
I thought they might be, because of being training weapons and thus, subject to different rules. Their main purpose was to make invading goblins dodge off the side of the 1-tile wide faerie bridges, and fall a dozen or so z-levels to rendezvous with the ground.