Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 228

Author Topic: 888th Brigade: DAY OF THE PURGE  (Read 448471 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Saving the French (Again)
« Reply #2145 on: May 26, 2018, 05:35:54 pm »

"That is rather disconcerting, sir."
"Really? Well, let's talk about something else, then. Do you think teh Cardinals will make it to the Series again this year? They have a score to settle with the Yankees, right? Not that the Yankees will lose, even without Buddy Hassett."

"Bah, the Cardinal's batter couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag, and their pitcher looks like the he spends most of his time with a filled pitcher, if you catch my drift."

((Note: I know nothing about baseball. I tried to do some quick research but got bored fairly quickly (I mean, it's baseball :P), so this probably makes less than zero sense.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: May 26, 2018, 10:35:51 pm »

Take a moment to make sure nobody is incoming in response to explosion. Then help clear more houses, without touching anything.
Spoiler: Carolina (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: May 26, 2018, 11:29:02 pm »

"I should've gotten some of those gas grenades.  Oh well."

Only three?  Hah, Simon can take three!

...There's probably more than three.  Hmm.  Do more scouting before engaging; are there more than three Nazis?  Are there any emplacements, like machinegunners set up to spray fire over the area?  Take note of any such things, and if there's a ton more enemies (at least ten) and/or significant fortification, just start slinking back to Allied territory.

Otherwise, move to the Northeast, trying to find a spot as far away as possible, while still being able to see into the windows, and hurriedly camoflage it a little.  Not *too* much, time is of the essence, but enough that casual scanning won't reveal Simon.

Then fire a single incendiary bullet from the De Lisle, into whatever part of the structure looks most flammable.  Hope it catches.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: May 26, 2018, 11:47:52 pm »

"Bah, the Cardinal's batter couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag, and their pitcher looks like the he spends most of his time with a filled pitcher, if you catch my drift." ((Note: I know nothing about baseball. I tried to do some quick research but got bored fairly quickly (I mean, it's baseball :P), so this probably makes less than zero sense.))
"Batter? Where you from, Radio? Mars, or something? Everyone gets a turn at bat. Next you'll tell me Babe Ruth was once arrested fro stealing bases, hahahahah." ((Our beloved anthropomorphic period appropriate communication device making zero sense? how unexpected!))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: May 27, 2018, 07:55:13 am »

"Bah, the Cardinal's batter couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag, and their pitcher looks like the he spends most of his time with a filled pitcher, if you catch my drift." ((Note: I know nothing about baseball. I tried to do some quick research but got bored fairly quickly (I mean, it's baseball :P), so this probably makes less than zero sense.))
"Batter? Where you from, Radio? Mars, or something? Everyone gets a turn at bat. Next you'll tell me Babe Ruth was once arrested fro stealing bases, hahahahah." ((Our beloved anthropomorphic period appropriate communication device making zero sense? how unexpected!))

"Well actually, uhh... Well, where I come from we use 'batter' to refer to the whole of a team's batting. Yes, that's it. Like the platonic ideal of batting you know? It's a regional dialect."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: May 27, 2018, 02:21:21 pm »

"Well actually, uhh... Well, where I come from we use 'batter' to refer to the whole of a team's batting. Yes, that's it. Like the platonic ideal of batting you know? It's a regional dialect."
"Plate-tonic? usually, they just sweep home plate with a little brush when it gets dirty. Never heard of anyone applying a tonic to it. You must come from Georgia or something.They do things differently down there, I suppose."

Leodanny

• Bay Watcher
  • Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: May 28, 2018, 04:59:45 pm »

”my ears hurt”
Check windows for people.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2152 on: May 30, 2018, 08:03:05 pm »

Nap get.

Spoiler: Alice! (click to show/hide)
[2]
You stare up at the sky, completely unable to sleep.

"Dang."

"I should've gotten some of those gas grenades.  Oh well."

Only three?  Hah, Simon can take three!

...There's probably more than three.  Hmm.  Do more scouting before engaging; are there more than three Nazis?  Are there any emplacements, like machinegunners set up to spray fire over the area?  Take note of any such things, and if there's a ton more enemies (at least ten) and/or significant fortification, just start slinking back to Allied territory.

Otherwise, move to the Northeast, trying to find a spot as far away as possible, while still being able to see into the windows, and hurriedly camoflage it a little.  Not *too* much, time is of the essence, but enough that casual scanning won't reveal Simon.

Then fire a single incendiary bullet from the De Lisle, into whatever part of the structure looks most flammable.  Hope it catches.

[2]
You sit in a bush scanning the house through your binoculars. You spend several minutes watching the home but even after careful observation you have no idea how many men are in the building. You keep seeing what you think could either be shadows or another man, not to mention you sort of lose track of what these guys look like. Nazis....well they all look the same to you.
[5]
Despite this, you're pretty damn sure there can't be more than 10 people in that house. You slink back into the woods and climb a tree, hiding yourself among the dense leaves and laying out across a broad branch that points towards the house.
[3]
You chamber a single incindiary round and take careful aim at the house, scanning it up and down, looking for the most flammable thing. You eventually settle on a pile of unused firewood on the side of the  building. The rifle coughs and you hear a sound like a hammer hitting wood in the distance. One of the men near the pile of wood looks around, crouching slightly  and raising his rifle. However, after a few moments he straightens up and walks back towards the house. You see smoke rising from the wood pile a minute or so later and then flames.

Bob radios in to the group, "I'm about a block ahead of you guys, just came to the east to west road.

Bob radios to others, then uses his mirror to check in through the windows of the buildings on either side of him. Pistol out in case anyone appears. But if there're people in the building and they don't see him, he'll hide.

If there's no one in the buildings, he'll try to sprint across the street and get into the trees on the other side. Try not to get shot when crossing the street.

You scan the street with your mirror, pistol ready in the other hand. There's no sign of movement, so you take a deep breath and run across the street in a crouch, slipping into one of the buildings on the far side. You push your back to the wall near the door and wait a moment with your breath held, listening. When nothing happens you slowly let the breath out and breath again. You have to stifle a gag as a horrible rotten smell fills your nose. You look around and see you are standing on old, dried blood and there is the lower half of a human torso maybe 3 feet away from your feet.  There is a sharp, acrid, inorganic smell in the air as well.

With that grenade out of the way, go join the house-cleaning crew. Be ready to take out the trash.

Let's not do that again please. Ah'd like to be able to walk back home.

Continue securing area.
Spoiler: William Taggart (click to show/hide)
Take a moment to make sure nobody is incoming in response to explosion. Then help clear more houses, without touching anything.
Spoiler: Carolina (click to show/hide)
”my ears hurt”
Check windows for people.
"Splitting off, will check these houses."

Clear the houses to my East, using binocs to scout. If it's a body, don't touch it.

Spoiler: Denver Gaunt (click to show/hide)
The street sweepers continue to clean house, moving through each building one at a time. They find no one alive, but there are several dead germans and two dead civilians. No one has any guns or ammo; not so much as a knife even. It looks like they've been stripped of everything useful, probably by whoever killed them.

Distressingly, you find something familiar carved into the wall of one of the upstairs rooms; at same symbol that you've been finding around with the odd Nazi goings on; the pinwheel and cephalopodan  thing. Its got something in German written under it.

Tala ran over to the Radioman and tapped him, and radio'd the others with Edward.

"West team; encountered nothing but dead Wehrmacht. A body was trapped; no issues or injuries. I don't see any sense of this being an enemy trap--also would be strange for them to do so on their own. Must be the work of the resistance or others. I'd advise everyone to proceed instead of thoroughly checking this place; there are more fallen Wehrmacht ahead. Also we do need radios for communication. Someone please keep regular updates.

"Edward; orders! Everyone please proceed."

She walked alongside Edward for the moment.

"What do you even mean by "Left here in a hurry"? The one trapped is nearest to our area. That doesn't make sense."

Move along, get something white and tie it around my rifle that I make obvious on my person but not obvious enough to be an overt sniper target.
Get moving, check ahead--that 'further ahead' area where I saw more of them..

Spoiler: My Sheet (click to show/hide)
You get into the spirit of the french rebellion and hang a white flag~

Tala ran over to the Radioman and tapped him, and radio'd the others with Edward.
"Yes ma'm!"

Do this radioing. Also, as a standing order, communicate things from my team to other teams and vice versa as needed.

and I can be free to find the best location for my precious children to ... blossom ... into wonderful, brilliant flowers.
"That, uhh, that sounds kinda creepy when you put it like that, sir."

Then again try to monitor the airwaves for German radio chatter.

Spoiler: Radioman (click to show/hide)

Who else is carrying a radio? I don't think Robert or Simon are. Any of the Street sweepers carrying one?  Otherwise I'll assume you're just radioing back to base.
[4]
You catch bits and pieces of german chatter, jotting down what you can hear for decryption and translation.

Ed will advance his crew to the intersection to the south, keeping in cover where possible, and keeping an eye out for the living. Ed professionally admires the body bombs, though naturally he is repelled by them. He'll use his experience with traps to locate more along the way.

If nothing else interesting happens, we'll rinse and repeat, heading to the second intersection to the south, and again to the west, then south toward that group of red roofed homes.

"Alright, The Germans look to have left here i a hurry, but not enough of a hurry. Try not to touch too many things around here. Rule of thumb gang - if it looks interesting, it's probably explosive. Explosives are always interesting."

Spoiler: Edward Bohring (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: mission briefing (click to show/hide)
You, Tala, and Radio continue advancing south until you get close to the second intersection. There are corpses just past the second intersection, to the east. They're not laying normally, they're lined up along the sidewalk in a neat row, naked from the waist up. They are bloodier than you would expect; to the point that the entire sidewalk around them is stained dark red. And their hands look like they were bound behind their backs.

Everything is still quiet. At least until a peal of thunder crashes somewhere to the east and makes everyone flinch. You look over to the east and see a massive black wall of cumulonimbus clouds, crackling with internal lightning, advancing towards the city.  They're moving fast enough that their slow churning advance is visible, even with just a glance.

https://imgur.com/a/dMShu7c

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: May 30, 2018, 08:06:24 pm »

"Hmm, it seems like some 'old friends' have come back for round two.

What should we do about them, sir?"

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: May 30, 2018, 09:03:57 pm »

"Eugh, you stink man." Bob backs away a bit, to try to inspect the body from a few feet away.

Bob is carrying a radio. Inspect the body without touching, see if it looks like there's anything good to loot. If not, start heading south-east through the trees, watching out for traps. Before moving, signal the clearing team to move up, whether by radio if they somehow have one, by clickers if they're near enough to hear, or whatever.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:41:15 pm by Strider03 »
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: May 30, 2018, 11:02:33 pm »

Hmm.  Just wait for now.  If the Nazis notice the growing flame and start to deal with it, start picking them off once they're out of cover and busy, starting with anyone isolated, and then whoever's close enough to run indoors.

If the storm reaches the building before anything can happen, wait for the Nazis to all hole up inside, and then start creeping around towards the East of the building--might as well just sneak past, using the weather for cover.

Hopefully it isn't an eldritch storm with anti-Allied lightning.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: May 30, 2018, 11:19:37 pm »

"Hmm, it seems like some 'old friends' have come back for round two.

What should we do about them, sir?"

Tala raised an eyebrow at the Radioman until she remembered that one ship-storm.

"Wait really? Are you sure this isn't just a local phenomenon? Also what're your thoughts on...those?" she pointed at the bodies. "I'm still thinking really extreme resistance activity-treatment, but that really looks harsh in turn. Also perhaps desperation or guerilla attacks given the lack of gear or anything, but that's signifying torture on the spot. Whoever did it had the time to do so. I'd advise moving up, I'll try finding a spot I can both provide lookout and check what's on east (the center of our map area). Radio, please...radio the others. I'm really wishing we kept those handie-talkies. Also Ed/Radio, get a gas grenade on me. You may need it soon."

Do so! Find a spot that both gives concealment and overwatch! Pretty much using my sniper scope to check (or binoculars), whichever is better.
Also retroactively probably giving either Ed/Radio a gas grenade.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Southern Advance.
« Reply #2157 on: May 31, 2018, 07:28:26 am »

"Hmm. Those clouds do look ominous. Could be natural, but we should be on guard against the alternative.

AS for these bodies, you are right that they look like they had time. This looks like an execution, plain and simple. Could be Frenchies executing captured Germans, but I doubt they've been in power long enough to round up a squad of Nazis. This looks like Nazi handiwork then, probably killing the Resistance, or people they suspect of supporting the Allies. So we are getting closer to a Nazi ... uh, stronghold? Outpost? Outpost. I suggest we gather the troops and move a little quicker, then find a defensible position before the storm hits. I don't want to be outdoors, separated, or exposed when that comes in. But, we have a job to do as well, so I think we'll need to send at least a few forward in any case."

Ed Radios Bob and tells him to call the sweepers forward to our current position. They can use the clickers to communicate. Signal "All Clear. Advance to point. (no living enemies and move up to where we are)" Meanwhile, he and the others will look for a suitable building to act as a sort of base of operations - preferably on the south side of the road, closer to where we are going. Keeping a careful eye out for hostile action, of course.

Edit: acquire from Tala one Gas Grenade. inventory updated.

"So, I'd like to take someone with a shotgun, and someone with a long rifle at least, when we move ahead. One radio needs to stay at base, and the opther should come with me. I've a mind to find out what's going on in those red roofed buildings down there."

Spoiler: Edward Bohring (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: mission briefing (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:04:15 am by Ozarck »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Success for some definitions of the word.
« Reply #2158 on: May 31, 2018, 09:02:54 am »

"This is very boring. There's obviously no one alive in this area, can we go back with the rest?
Just go in the direction everyone else is for now.
Spoiler: William Taggart (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:23:42 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade: Success for some definitions of the word.
« Reply #2159 on: May 31, 2018, 02:01:48 pm »

Get a sketch of the image and copy the German down into my notebook. That looks important. Then follow crew, ready as ever to kneecap some Germans.

One sec. This'n here picture looks important. Y'all ever seen it before?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:26:54 pm by Gentlefish »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 228