Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 242

Author Topic: DFHack 50.11-r6  (Read 795417 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.44.10-r2 | 0.44.12-alpha1 (dev)
« Reply #1275 on: July 11, 2018, 04:44:03 pm »

Probably not the platform you're looking for tests, but I managed to use "die" successfully ingame using that new 64 bit build.
Ok, then what platform are you using?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1276 on: July 11, 2018, 04:47:47 pm »

Probably not the platform you're looking for tests, but I managed to use "die" successfully ingame using that new 64 bit build.
Crap, forgot to finish the description. Windows 64 bit.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: July 11, 2018, 05:03:24 pm »

Using:

DFHack version 0.44.12-alpha1 (development build 0.44.12-alpha1-35-g350ead26) on x86_64 [build ID: 180711000]

on: Windows 10 64 bit,

my results using "die" in Fortress Mode from a paused play screen are the same as I reported with the other build above, Dwarf Fortress window closes immediately, DFHack closes some seconds later, noticeably later than I recall from earlier versions, but not problematically hanging like Saiko Kila reported.
Team Bug Fix!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 11, 2018, 06:53:55 pm »

Crap, forgot to finish the description. Windows 64 bit.
That was exactly the platform I was looking for. People above reported issues with Windows, so I put up Windows builds to test. (Then I put up other ones as they finished.) Thanks for the feedback.

Using:

DFHack version 0.44.12-alpha1 (development build 0.44.12-alpha1-35-g350ead26) on x86_64 [build ID: 180711000]

on: Windows 10 64 bit,

my results using "die" in Fortress Mode from a paused play screen are the same as I reported with the other build above, Dwarf Fortress window closes immediately, DFHack closes some seconds later, noticeably later than I recall from earlier versions, but not problematically hanging like Saiko Kila reported.
Okay, that's not great. Has it occurred in older DFHack versions for you? Ab9rf said it happened for her a while ago too (on Windows), i.e. before 0.44.10.

Also, is it possible that DF is actually crashing? Some people turn off crash reports and then think DF is just closing silently when it's actually crashing - could that be the case? Also, sometimes the Ruby plugin can interfere with crash reports - maybe delete hack/plugins/ruby.plug.dll and see what happens?

At any rate, we've done all that we can think of at this point to fix the issue. We already know that MSVC isn't standards-compliant in at least some respect here (with _Exit() not working as it should), so I'm inclined to leave it as-is and blame MSVC for any further "die" issues, unless other people have ideas for fixing it.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

surazal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: July 11, 2018, 08:05:17 pm »

So I just started running into an issue with newer builds of dfhack. dfhack 0.44.11-alpha1 worked fine for me, but when I tried upgrading to 0.44.11.beta-2.1 I got one of the following errors. I just tried testing 0.44.12.-alpha1 and I still get the same error. I'm not sure what library I'm missing or supposed to install (like I said this just started happening in the past couple of weeks and I'm pretty up-to-date on my packages). Error is:

./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.22' not found (required by ./hack/libdfhack.so)

I'm not sure what "glibcxx-3.44.22" refers to as I don't have that installed anywhere in my system and "apt-cache search" returns no results for glibcxx or anything similarly named. The message suggested I run this:

cp libs/libstdc++.so.6.backup libs/libstdc++.so.6

But if I do, I get another error:

./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: /home/dfinton/DF/df_linux/libs/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by ./hack/libdfhack.so)
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: /home/dfinton/DF/df_linux/libs/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.22' not found (required by ./hack/libdfhack.so)
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: /home/dfinton/DF/df_linux/libs/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by ./hack/libdfhack.so)
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: /home/dfinton/DF/df_linux/libs/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by ./hack/libprotobuf-lite.so)

The message suggested I try adding the following line to ~/.dfhackrc as well, but that didn't do anything. I even ran the export command directly on the command line but I got the same result.

export DFHACK_NO_RENAME_LIBSTDCXX=1

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04. on x64. I installed the gcc7 version of the 64 bit build of dfhack (same as I've always run). Google suggests installing libstdc++6, but I have that installed already. I'm update-to-date on all my packages as well.

Anyone know what's going on? I'm kind of stumped on this one. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:07:07 pm by surazal »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: July 11, 2018, 08:36:12 pm »

Have you tried the GCC 4.8 version? From https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/abi.html, GLIBCXX_3.4.22 is from GCC 6.1.0, so if you don't have that or newer, you will need the GCC 4.8 build.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: July 11, 2018, 09:24:52 pm »

Okay, that's not great. Has it occurred in older DFHack versions for you? Ab9rf said it happened for her a while ago too (on Windows), i.e. before 0.44.10.

Also, is it possible that DF is actually crashing? Some people turn off crash reports and then think DF is just closing silently when it's actually crashing - could that be the case? Also, sometimes the Ruby plugin can interfere with crash reports - maybe delete hack/plugins/ruby.plug.dll and see what happens?

At any rate, we've done all that we can think of at this point to fix the issue. We already know that MSVC isn't standards-compliant in at least some respect here (with _Exit() not working as it should), so I'm inclined to leave it as-is and blame MSVC for any further "die" issues, unless other people have ideas for fixing it.

Nothing interesting in stderr.log or stdout.log, no errorlog.txt generated. Repeated the process with ruby.plug.dll removed, no change.

I don't know how to turn off crash reports, but if you tell me where to check, I will. I doubt it's turned off, because the copy I used to test "die" was a newly extracted vanilla copy with your new DFHack installed, and no settings changed other than choosing a smaller world and a shorter world gen.

I often just throw my old game folders into a "DF Stuff" folder rather than deleting them, on the theory I might want to recover something later, and searching that I find my most recent (and only) errorlog.txt is 0.44.03, and looks unrelated.
Team Bug Fix!

surazal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: July 11, 2018, 09:38:40 pm »

Have you tried the GCC 4.8 version? From https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/abi.html, GLIBCXX_3.4.22 is from GCC 6.1.0, so if you don't have that or newer, you will need the GCC 4.8 build.

The gcc 4.8 build did in fact work. On my system, gcc --version comes back with version 5.4.0.

For fun I checked to see if newer versions of gcc were available for ubuntu 16.04 and I did find 6.0.1 which still wasn't high enough. Huh, I know that ubuntu could be a little slow in updating its dev tools but I had no idea it was that bad.

Anyways, it works now. Thanks!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 12, 2018, 08:43:07 am »

I don't know how to turn off crash reports, but if you tell me where to check, I will. I doubt it's turned off, because the copy I used to test "die" was a newly extracted vanilla copy with your new DFHack installed, and no settings changed other than choosing a smaller world and a shorter world gen.
Crash reports are a system setting - nothing to do with how new your DFHack installation is, or other DFHack settings. I just thought Ruby could be interfering with them, but if you have them turned off, it could still be that DFHack is crashing without you knowing. I'm not sure how to turn them on on Windows.

You could try this and see how it behaves (warning: this will crash, use with caution):
Code: [Select]
:lua ~df.reinterpret_cast('int32_t', 1)
I often just throw my old game folders into a "DF Stuff" folder rather than deleting them, on the theory I might want to recover something later, and searching that I find my most recent (and only) errorlog.txt is 0.44.03, and looks unrelated.
errorlog.txt is DF only - DFHack doesn't touch it. And it's really mostly harmless warnings from DF.

The gcc 4.8 build did in fact work. On my system, gcc --version comes back with version 5.4.0.

For fun I checked to see if newer versions of gcc were available for ubuntu 16.04 and I did find 6.0.1 which still wasn't high enough. Huh, I know that ubuntu could be a little slow in updating its dev tools but I had no idea it was that bad.

Anyways, it works now. Thanks!
Ubuntu almost never updates packages across major versions. From the GCC release history, in April 2016, GCC 5.3 was the newest available (5.4 was released after Ubuntu 16.04 came out, so it probably replaced the 5.3 package later on since it was a minor upgrade).

Also, GCC 6.0.1 doesn't exist. The first release of the GCC 6 series was 6.1.0, so that's probably what you saw. Still won't work with things compiled for GCC 7, though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:55:24 pm by lethosor »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.44.12-r1
« Reply #1284 on: July 13, 2018, 09:55:46 pm »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1285 on: July 14, 2018, 03:08:22 am »

Thanks! I think with this I'll get started on the new version, finally! Lots of hype.
I'll let you know if I hit any roadbumps with the new features, in case DFHack might interact somehow (with units moving between nearby sites and the general hillocks interactions existing now).

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 14, 2018, 10:08:31 am »

Question for anyone building on macOS/Linux: are you strongly attached to the current "make" build system? There have been discussions on IRC and GitHub about fixing issues with generated files in other build systems, which would require introducing issues with make, because CMake's make backend doesn't have proper support for generated files. Ninja is a cross-platform make alternative that we've been considering, which actually handles generated files properly and is somewhat faster.

Basically, partial rebuilds on Windows (with Visual Studio/MSBuild) often require rebuilding twice, because generated headers don't get generated at the right time. The same issue currently exists with Ninja. The only way we know of to fix it in both Ninja and VS is to introduce an issue where make will update the timestamp of every generated file every time it runs, making partial rebuilds take much longer (basically making make unusable for serious development). Full builds with make should still run as they do currently, although they might regenerate files twice sometimes, so they could be slower.

The current pull request includes instructions on how to set up Ninja - it requires installing it, of course, and passing -G Ninja to CMake on the first run. Otherwise, it's just a matter of running "ninja" instead of "make". Any comments there (or here) are welcome.

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 15, 2018, 12:31:48 am »

A quick comment on the forum-dwarves lua script:

The docs mention code page 437, but most software refers to this as OEM-DOS, which is what you have to switch to in Notepad++ to get it to show up correctly.  I did the runaround on that and converted the page body text (I'm guessing title wasn't old ASCII at least with TWBT?) to UTF-8 so it will open in notepad.exe and Notepad++ without doing anything special.  Another thing that works but is less convenient is dumping the printable output directly to the DFHack console window, where the windows clipboard will magically convert it to an encoding compatible with whatever you happen to be pasting it into. 

My hackish modification is below (accidentally grabbed GPL stuff for conversion but that shouldn't stop anyone from the forum using it if the want).  I don't mess with lua really so I make no guarantees, other than it not crashing my machine thus far and the files looking correct.  YMMV.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 15, 2018, 08:03:43 am »

There's a built-in function, dfhack.df2utf, for converting CP437 to UTF-8. Is that what you're trying to do? If you're printing to the console, use df2console instead, because the console encoding varies across platforms. See the Lua API docs for more.

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 15, 2018, 01:21:18 pm »

That would do things without my mess.   :P

Console output works / looks fine already.  I may add a "show" flag or something that outputs the BBCode to console instead of the raw screen data info for convenience.  I don't program very much anymore since getting away from doing it for a living.  20 years of assembly languages and compiler intermediate languages broke my brain.

All this does is allow direct usage of the text file output, otherwise it has to be remapped to the correct code page by the user, which is a minor step but enough of one that screenshot / paste / save is more attractive on a machine that only has standard windows programs. 

As far as I know, the built-in text editors on all platforms will handle UTF-8 well as long as the file mime type is correct, but the only one called out in the help text is Windows so I'm guessing the others don't need this type of thing done anyway. 
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 242