Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Core  (Read 11812 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Planetary Arms Race - Core
« on: May 13, 2017, 10:36:45 pm »

This is the core thread. OOC and general inter-colony IC stuff goes here. Anything else should be in its colony thread. Please pick a side and avoid looking at the other side's thread.
Moerth Thread
Amaok Thread (Needs more players)
Arms Race Hub

The Laniek System was of great interest to the UN of Earth in its fading days. Three habitable planets among a system filled with mineral-rich planets was the summary of the report. Numerous colony ships were nearly immediately prepped for launch towards Laniek with targets evenly distributed between the two most suitable planets.
But there was clearly some mistake in the vetting procedures used for these colonists. Each planet would ultimately receive one million colonists each. Maybe it was something in the air, or some unknown consequence of cryosleep. Maybe it was espionage. Maybe it was just the hostile environment. But for whatever reason, these colonists now completely isolated from Earth, hate each other with burning passions.

For a while, the two colonies built up in silent contempt for one another. Every milestone closely followed by the other. Every small development reeked in smugness and passive aggresiveness as it was broadcast abusing the limited radio infrastructure of the two planets. Finally, war did happen. Who knows what sparked it in particular. The accounts vary from side to side and really, everyone knows it's to finally show that pathetic colony who's really in charge.

Unfortunately, the weapons of both sides were... limited. Vehicles were out of the question. Transport between planets is limited to a converted civilian craft paradoxically large but with small transport capacities. Armor is either "fulfilled" by large clumsy space suits or the pathetic amounts of Kevlar assigned to the colonial security forces. The only gun both sides have is a 3d-printed pistol that even both colonies can agree is objectively awful. Amaok and Moerth were limited to the meager designs brought with the colony ships.

Which is where the Design Bureaus came in. When each Colony's Central Command found these people with such professional backgrounds and eccentric arms-related skills, they started to become mildly suspicious. But annihilating the other enemy is of course more important than suspicions.

This is an Arms Race game, ripped off inspired by primarily Sensei's Arms Race and the many other games based on it. It has my own twists on it, of course. Players join a side and create designs to help them win in battles against another side with players in it.

The Colonies (Colonies can and probably should be renamed in their first turn.)
The Colony of Amaok and the Colony of Moerth are actually quite similar. Both were founded at about the same time, some undetermined small amount of years ago, by a sublight colonization mission from a probably-now-dead Earth. There is some deviation in the Colonies' cultures (to be expanded on by the players) and some mild differences in non-military tech. But both colonies never bothered to develop their weapons or military capabilities past the paltry security considerations brought with them on their initial voyages.

The Rules
Spoiler: The Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

This game is moderate-soft sci-fi. You're not going to do any FTL, but fantastical things, technologies like FTL comms, and more are all possible given adequate work. If you feel I'm being unbalanced or biased, please just PM me. And if you have any questions about anything else, probably just ask them either in the Core thread or one of the Colony threads. And "Why another arms race game", you ask? Because there really can't be enough.
And finally, if I forgot or missed something, just let me know via whichever medium you'd prefer.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 05:56:31 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Core
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 10:54:17 pm »

Objection, your map doesn't look anything like a solar system.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 10:55:10 pm »

It's an ~abstraction~.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 11:10:02 pm »

I was thinking of making my first ever forum games about a Sci-Fi Arms race about some kind of Humans in Earth vs. Human Martian Colonists, but it would end up me being the GM and that would resort to posts with weak grammar and content, as well as induced anxiety for me. Time was never the problem, I have too much free time on my hands. Oh yeah, as you have also concluded their does seem to be a influx of Arms Race Games which also came to my decision to not create it.

Anyways I guess I choose the Moerth Thread, hope this game doesn't die out too soon. :-(

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:23:09 pm »

It's an ~abstraction~.
Objection, your map doesn't look anything like a solar system.

These clearly represent ideal transfer orbit windows.  Or something else that makes sense.

Joining the Amaok thread, for the glory of The Plan and The Great Computer.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 11:32:34 pm »

For the glory of Moerth, we shall create Mo' Erth!
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 11:37:54 pm »

For the glory of the AI and Amaok!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 11:39:27 pm »

Amoak shall be victorious!
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 11:58:19 pm »

Fall to the Majesty of Moerth!
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 12:06:19 am »

Just to be clear, the colony AI has much more important things to do then design, research or combat, like deciding the correct ratio of janitorial staff and deciding what color walls should be painted.  The Moerth are just too far below it's concern.  As they should be.

And the AI is totally real and not a bunch of people pretending to be an AI like the dissidents would have you believe.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 12:17:33 am »

This should have been in the OP, but here's the planet color key:

Green - A habitable, earth-like planet. The only planet type with a breathable atmosphere. Expect to be fighting in diverse environments primarily on land here, with lots of hiding spots and cover in the form of terrain and plant growth.
Light Blue - A frozen planet. It has an atmosphere, but it's too cold and likely doesn't have a breathable atmosphere to be outside of a space suit here. Special considerations should be taken for the extreme cold to get the best performance here, and fighting is usually done in rather mountainous terrain.
Dark Blue - An ocean planet. The most habitable of the planets, but still lacks a breathable atmosphere and requires a space suit. Fighting here would primarily be done on boats, but there are still some smaller landmasses for infantry to fight on.
Brown - A barren planet. Completely lacks an atmosphere and is filled with flat bland landscapes. The fighting here takes place in large open spaces where both sides are very exposed.
Yellow - A desert planet. Contains a light but non-breathable atmosphere. Sand and dust typically gets into exposed machinery and the heat remains an issue here, though not as critical as the cold issues on ice planets. Fighting here is somewhat similar to the barren planets in fairly flat terrain, but the terrain commonly has a fair bit more variation than barren planets.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 12:18:34 am »

Oh yeah, looking at the map shouldn't A2 have the exotic resource?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 12:19:50 am »

...Damnit.
The Exotics on A1 have been switched with the Metals on A2.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 12:20:08 am »

It's Amaok time! We shall place Mooerth into a Koama from which it shall never awaken, because it will be dead!!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 01:09:58 am »

Joining Amaok. Would like to file a complaint over the GM using the clearly Moerth-centric planetary designation scheme.

United Forenia Forever!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12