Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil/Gas pockets  (Read 1625 times)

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oil/Gas pockets
« on: May 14, 2017, 02:01:53 pm »

Ordinarily, I'd just mod something like this in, but true liquids (water/magma, not contaminants) aren't defined in the RAWs as far as I know. Also, yes, this has been suggested before, but it got glossed over every time.

--Oil--
Similar in fluid behaviour to magma, but can burn. Ideally, there are checks to make sure it doesn't spawn connected to a magma source, as to avoid massive underground fires. If implemented, it should occur between the cave layers, or at least deep enough it doesn't touch an aquifer. Speaking of, oil springs probably should NOT be a thing, due to bad interactions with other fluids.

Potential uses include flaming arrows, torches, drown/burn traps, and fire jars. Have a particularly annoying noble? Replace his floor with grates and fill the area below with oil. Enjoy your new oven as he tries to open the door marked "forbidden."

--Gas--
Natural gas isn't as easy to add, but adds another hazard. It's a choking hazard, and slightly on the 'splodey side. Digging into one has the potential of igniting as it sneaks upward through your fortress, and could pose health issues if the design of your fortress doesn't let it escape. I can't see many crafting uses, unless gas lanterns are added. That being said, there's still the ever-present trap potential.

They both fit within the game, are easy to implement, and add more options for removing nobles defending our fortress from elves. Any ideas how to improve this?
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Oil/Gas pockets
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 09:06:56 am »

Both of these would fall under redesigned fluid dynamics, which may occur at some point in the future but it isn't clear when.  Right now, tiles simply have a liquid depth and flow value which is determined as either water or magma by a boolean property.

I'd love to see properly raw-defined fluids, with various parameters determining where they could appear naturally.  Also this would allow things like evil biomes with literal rivers of blood or toxic goo.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 04:13:35 am »

Ordinarily, I'd just mod something like this in, but true liquids (water/magma, not contaminants) aren't defined in the RAWs as far as I know. Also, yes, this has been suggested before, but it got glossed over every time.

--Oil--
Similar in fluid behaviour to magma, but can burn. Ideally, there are checks to make sure it doesn't spawn connected to a magma source, as to avoid massive underground fires. If implemented, it should occur between the cave layers, or at least deep enough it doesn't touch an aquifer. Speaking of, oil springs probably should NOT be a thing, due to bad interactions with other fluids.

Potential uses include flaming arrows, torches, drown/burn traps, and fire jars. Have a particularly annoying noble? Replace his floor with grates and fill the area below with oil. Enjoy your new oven as he tries to open the door marked "forbidden."

--Gas--
Natural gas isn't as easy to add, but adds another hazard. It's a choking hazard, and slightly on the 'splodey side. Digging into one has the potential of igniting as it sneaks upward through your fortress, and could pose health issues if the design of your fortress doesn't let it escape. I can't see many crafting uses, unless gas lanterns are added. That being said, there's still the ever-present trap potential.

They both fit within the game, are easy to implement, and add more options for removing nobles defending our fortress from elves. Any ideas how to improve this?

Without evoking probable mods about refining oil and making fuel, plastic, wool and threads out of it, or turning gas into liquid or solid form, the use of oil and gas as fuel or base for drugs has been established pre-1400s.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 01:24:49 am »

Doesnt this invite the X^X problem of number of possible interactions?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 06:38:50 am »

Idk striking an oil reservoir in a dwarf fortress would be akin to hitting hfs. Petroleum is under pressure and there would be a explosive concussion then a geyser and crude oil has fumes that are highly poisonous especially in an enclosed area.

I want to say petroleum was extracted from oil springs or other low pressure shallow formations historically.

malistaticy

• Bay Watcher
  • WAH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 05:33:53 pm »

im not sure how ethical it will be to gas the elves for the glory of the master race, the arya-... the dwarves
"Honestly, I have no idea how that got there"

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 05:09:42 pm »

I thought oil in the old days was mostly aquired through hunting whales.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 08:13:49 pm »

I thought oil in the old days was mostly aquired through hunting whales.
Oil used for fuel, has quite a diverse history.  Lighting in general does. Whaling Oil, and Sperm Oil were only used about 100 to 125 years. Its unclear if other older whaling cultures used the whale oil before then. Though before Whaling Oil, they used render animal fat to make tallow, which made candles. Then there are various plant oils that was used for lighting as well before in either making candles directly or making oil lanterns.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 12:19:30 am »

The Tar Tunnel.

If pressurized pockets existed in DF, they might be implemented along the lines of 21/7 liquid per tile within the pocket, and when you open it up, the fluid does the same thing that the DF ocean does when you dig into it from below, except sideways or up. So the digging dwarf is instantly in 7/7 as the pocket expands out to depressurize and then may be able to get out. There probably is a better way to implement it but I had to write it out for this next line....

"Would dwarfs refer to these pockets as Armok's pimples?"
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?