Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Region Manipulator, a pre embark region manipulator  (Read 27140 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Region Manipulator, a pre embark region manipulator
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 03:11:30 am »

It's a Lua script that's meant to be saved in <DF folder>\hack\scripts (and if you're using e.g. the LNP the DF folder is inside the LNP folder). Once the file is in the scripts folder, the DFHack console can find it when you type "regionmanipulator" in the console window.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 09:48:47 am »

It's a Lua script that's meant to be saved in <DF folder>\hack\scripts (and if you're using e.g. the LNP the DF folder is inside the LNP folder). Once the file is in the scripts folder, the DFHack console can find it when you type "regionmanipulator" in the console window.

Ah thanks! I had the right idea, but I was looking up things and I thought I had to input, like, "lua -file "regionmanipulator" or something... when it was just having to type in regionmanipulator on its own.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 09:57:24 am »

I made the mistake of assuming everyone has been playing DF and using hack scripts for years... Thanks to your question I've updated the first page to provide some instructions.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 02:57:09 pm »

I've update the version to 0.3. There is no new functionality, but the UI has been reworked almost completely to use the widgets in ways that more resemble how they're supposed to be used (or at least how I think they're supposed to be used), using fields in a "form" rather than hot keys to bring up change dialogs.

Edit:
Updated to 0.4, which just is a better widget implementation internally, and no functionality changes.
Edit 2: Modified the script to contain a working version of the unused Grid:pan widget function (without updating the version number).

Edit 2:
Updated to 0.5, adding the ability to switch between brook and stream.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:22:35 am by PatrikLundell »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 11:31:15 am »

Hm, aqueducts are new to me.

Of note:
- Aqueducts will have their walls extend up, but this is only on the sides - the surface of River tiles will be at z-level above, though. Both override native trees. Also: The tree area is , contrary to the green grass.

If you start with entire river being an aqueduct, it will be unrevealed as well, and that area will not have wild animals (probably due aboveground biomes not having any underground creatures) or visitors enter the map, even after you block all map edges elsewhere and discover the caverns and wall that off too, though it will become eligible area for cavern plants.

- The river elevation is determined at embark tile level, here.

- The aqueduct wall material is picked based on biome. While lower levels have sand and fire clay, this upper air biome of tundra (poor alligators)has clay loam. No vegetation on these edge tiles, which is kind of odd, but could provide access to plants otherwise not present.
Surface stone pebbles extend into aqueducts as natural stone walls of that material, but such randomness is not given to air biomes. Still, could be your only source of flux on map.

- Impractical, but pretty(large image). However, the hole was supposed to be at where rivers join, not in the corners of 4 tiles. Well, that's DF.

- Even with just aqueducts, layout of trees and and pools will change (minerals will remain the same, though).

Toying a pit more,
- with cavern-level pits the reverse of first occurs - fungiwood growing on "aboveground surfaces". Looking at deeeep river, first time seeing this symbol and colour being used:
(2z above Semi-molten rock wall with no floor above)

- It apparently can mess with minerals - lost magnetite on a tile that previously had it by increasing region elevation.

- First time seeing tunnel tube roots.

The tunnel tube is entirely inside/dark/subterranean, but the Sandy Loam area spread from adjacent biome.

- it seems it picks the width of south/east entrance of river by the north/west width of river.

- If you create a gorge ending right above caverns, the lack of floor beneath tree trunks may reveal them - without even cutting them down. Doesn't seem to apply to all trees, though.

I imagine many of these things were discovered by others when testing, but didn't see anybody posting them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 02:34:11 pm »

I haven't seen anything odd with aqueducts, but haven't looked at it extensively.

Interesting observation that pebbles can "grow" into full blocks.

Geo biomes are tied to world tiles, not region biomes. However, the application of a geo biome shears away "excess" soil layers based on elevation. At an elevation of 100, 10 levels of soil is allowed, and that is decreased by increasing elevation. This shearing "erodes" the soil levels from the top (learned that from "prospect" as I wrote the geo manipulator). This shouldn't affect magnetite, as it's a rock material, but shearing away soil may scramble the RNG used for geo generation. There's an "abundance" parameter in the geo structure that's only vaguely understood, but it's certainly the case that if the geo biome specifies e.g. 5 vein materials for a single Z rock layer that only has room for two veins, it's random which ones you get. I don't know if each level of the same layer is rolled independently or if there is some weighting that increases the likelihood for a vein that exists on a higher level to "extend" into a lower one, but I think there may be. 

I think you may over estimate the amount of interest there is in these tools: it's quite likely you and I together have made up 90% of the testing/playing around with them...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 07:46:15 pm »

Neat. That elevation-soil erasing behaviour explains why I find less aquifers on higher z-levels.

Maybe - or maybe they're just relatively unknown. Vanilla purism aside, they vastly simplify getting some more difficult worldgen requests like flat volcano+river. (Btw, iirc there's a single parameter accessible from gui/gm-editor that turns a magma pipe into a volcano or vice-versa.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 01:49:59 am »

I've tried looking at "features", but it's a rather messy and tangled web. If I remember correctly, there are parameters that specify where features start and stop, and I speculate that there should be a parameter that controls the magma top level of pipes and volcanoes alike (finding it might allow the generation of somewhat erupting volcanoes...).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 02:21:15 am »

I think you may over estimate the amount of interest there is in these tools: it's quite likely you and I together have made up 90% of the testing/playing around with them...
Just want to throw out there that I do like the tool quite a bit, but probably the biggest diffrence is that I don't really do anything extreme with it.  I primarily use it now to convert close embarks into perfect embarks with it's ability to add a river or mess with elevation.  Outside of my first few tests to see how it works, I don't really make big chasms or huge mountains or anything.

Most extreme thing I've done with it outside of the first few quick experiments was build a hilltop fortress with a deep river canyon in the middle of a forest.  It is still a valuable tool, because one would be very hard pressed to find that kind of terrain naturally.  I'm not certain it's even possible.

DDownside is that with relatively minor edits like mine there is little to report.  Everything either acts as expected, or is too subtle to notice.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:31:44 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 03:01:39 am »

Thanks Greiger,

Your type of usage is the targeted/intended one, with the extreme outlier cases just being things possible to do.
It's hard to know if a dearth of posts is caused by a lack of interest or a lack of problems and no enhancement suggestions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 07:07:53 am »

I hate dropbox, it doesn't want to play nicely with my overkill combo of ublock and umatrix, despite allowing it enough freedom that any other site would work, it does not, mind tossing the script in code tags here?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 08:02:07 am »

I don't mind, but the site does... It's too large (and it's the same with all my tools that are dropbox:ed. When things are small enough to fit directly on the site I prefer that option). I can zip it up and mail it to you if you want (provided you give me the address, of course).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 03:29:35 pm »

Wait the lua is? Do you have a github?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 03:56:31 pm »

It's not too large for pastebin, though.

My larger world gens go over post limit with the pre-set values as well.

@Greiger: As a high hill-large river - low area for fortress wall with a moat? Neat idea.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 05:09:02 pm »

Ahhh, thank you, and yeah that is a lot of lines for a post huh, is that the region manipulator though? It says biomemanipulator at the top.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5