Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Region Manipulator, a pre embark region manipulator  (Read 27135 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Region Manipulator, a pre embark region manipulator
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2017, 10:40:24 pm »

It is. Old one, 0.1 version, at that.

Can't hold all these manipulators/I'm such a derp.

Here you go.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2017, 11:53:18 pm »

Ahhh, thank you, and here's to pastebin!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2017, 02:25:50 pm »

A minor update to 0.6. The bug fixed (incorrectly looking edit fields) only manifests itself with a potential future DFHack release where a bug in gui.lua is fixed (the bugs in this script are all my doing, though: the fields were actually one character too narrow as the prompt needs a character as well).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2017, 11:01:42 am »

More experiments:
Had a thought a bit ago: Cliffs are pretty common request. Could you use super-wide river for sheer one on one side + massive elevation differences on other side to prevent the cliff on other side?

Probs.. Set center and westward biome height tiles to 150, the one on left side is sheer cliff up to 150z for both NW and SW, the other one completely flat on NE 48x48 and slice of sloping mountain on SE 48x48.

Sharp-walled pits are obvious next sheer drop step (as, say, a way to simulate empty volcanoes on worlds without magma layer while still getting hfs), however a single point of river will generate river source in next tile over if it doesn't have a river in that direction. Circular rivers are pretty neat use that can also be used for moat-surrounded towers too, though needs luck combining them with low elevation on other side of river - 3x3 with high center might be workable.

This led to question of "what animals spawn on cavern that is aboveground on embark?" Aboveground ones, apparently, though this cavern-low surface doesn't seem to qualify for caravan/visitor/not-attracted-migrants-this-season access
(Albeit visitors might be barred due having two more than half of map edge covered with water).

(Though it is not completely non-weird. Can also get pond grabbers under the tentacles that reach to edges, which may be unsupported, potentially due tree growth, and cavein. Also, in this case the rivers fills in from side edges, though this loses out to drainage in case of wide rivers at least.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2017, 02:19:55 pm »

Nice circular river!

When I've made a moat I've made it square (basically a bifurcating river on one side of the embark and joining branches on the other), so I've had a proper map entry and map exit.

Edit:
Updated to 0.7 2017-07-24. The only change is that the help now describes the Biome encoding.

Edit 2:
Updated to 0.8 2017-09-10. Added some control over the amount of water in the three caverns.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:37:27 am by PatrikLundell »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 11:58:36 am »

Updated to version 0.9, 2017-11-19:
- Starts the cursor at the "center" of the DF embark rectangle (rounded down), rather than at (0, 0). This does NOT mean the DF embark rectangle is moved when the tool is used, though: the next time the script is started it will again "center" at the rectangle.
- Added an "invisible" map mode that shows the native DF region underneath. This required reshuffling of the UI to align.

I've never been too happy with the edit field implementation, and I'm probably going to replace it with command keys that bring up edit boxes instead, unless there are loud protests. Anyway, making a separate release for this means there's an easy fallback point if I end up reverting the functionality.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 09:28:38 pm »

That's nice feature...PS: is it supposed to display the native df underneath on help?

(Albeit it says something that the interface is intuitive enough that I only now pressed it to seek the "display underneath" Alt-i & Alt-e key pairs.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2017, 04:12:33 am »

Hm, no, that's a bug. I'll fix that as I switch to command keys.

Edit:
Updated to version 0.10, 2017-11-20:
- Added mask to help screen (thanks Fleeting Frames).
- Replaced the control scheme with command keys instead of tabbing through edit fields.

Edit 2:
Updated to version 0.11, 2017-12-14:
- Added display of river entry/exit directions.

Edit 3:
Updated to version 0.12 2017-12-14:
- Added ability to print help screen to the console window.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:18:52 am by PatrikLundell »

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2018, 04:19:39 pm »

I don't know if this is helpful, but I just used Region Manipulator to add a river to my embark and it dried up pretty much instantly (although the tiles still showed up as "river" upon examination). I filled it back up with DFHack's "liquids" command and now there's pond turtles and stuff hanging out in it again.

Fantastic tool, by the way. This plus your biome manipulator are going to save me so many hours of headache, I'm sure.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 03:58:55 am »

When I've tested doing stupid things with rivers I've added rivers to the tiles outside the intended embark at the inlet and outlet to make sure there' somewhere water would come from and flow to, but I haven't actually played it, so I don't know if that prevents drying up.
The "proper" way to add a river to the future embark is to use Biome Manipulator to reroute a river into the region tile and then use Region Manipulator to shift the river to flow where you want it.
It's nice to hear pond turtles showed up, as I didn't know if "vermin" "fish" would show up.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 01:05:51 pm »

Yeah, I figured that would be the way to do it - but the embark is right at the edge of the map, so there wasn't room to start it in the square outside the area, and the actual river was too far away.

By the way, how exactly does the river system work? Does the "east or west" key refer to the direction the water is flowing, or the direction the water is coming from? I somehow ended up with a river with three different "starts," one of which wasn't even on a tile I'd specified with a river, at some point in the process.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 03:59:55 pm »

How does the river stuff work... Well, I don't quite know. For the global info it's fairly straight forward: it follows the course of the river from the source to the sink. The region stuff is odd, however, as it doesn't seem to deal with the flow, but rather with connections. I have to fiddle with it a fair bit to get it to do what I want. In some instances you can create a bend in a river by specifying e.g. the tiles to the east to go to the west and the one to the south to go to the north and then nothing on the tile they join.
Basically, I do it with trial and error. Try something (starting with something sensible), look what I got, change things until it joins up the way I want it to, move on to the next segment...

It's possible to create an island by getting the river to bifurcate (i.e. split) with one leg going straight ahead and one going south, east, north to join up again, and it's also possible to get it to go in a loop such that the entry and exit touch, leaving an island in the middle with only a single break in the edge (i.e. two regions, rather than three).

The world map river sink can be outside of the map, by the way, but not the source, so you could create a new river that starts in the world map of your intended embark and then flows off the edge, and then have the source being off at the other end of the local map with your embark flush up to the world edge. You don't HAVE to do it that way, of course, but you can.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2018, 10:54:33 am »

Update to version 0.13.
This is a rather substantial rework of existing functionality, plus the addition of Feature manipulation.
- The UI has been split over multiple pages, where each page provides a "graphics" display plus the associated functions, rather than having all functions crammed onto the page with the "graphics" being shifted.
- Made sure the UI can be used at 80 * 24, but some redundant display key info is provided for those who have the screen real estate for it.
- Split the Help over multiple pages.
- Changed a couple of key bindings (Flatten is now a "normal" key, while all cavern water changes share the same key (as the page provides a context for the key).
- Added limited manipulation of Features, allowing you to:
  -  lengthen/shrink Adamantine Spires and Magma Pools (to reach caverns further up down)
  - Move Adamantine Spires to the other DF legal tiles
  - Create (and delete) Volcanoes (I've tried to place two in an embark, and both showed up when embarking).
  - Create and delete Magma Pools, Passages, and Pits.
- As a side effect of Features, Sites are displayed, as they can block the placement of Features (a Volcano under a necro tower is probably not a good idea [for the necros]).

Note that some Feature manipulation can result in cave-ins and flooding (Pits and Passages), as this heavy handed manipulation doesn't know how to "prepare the ground" for features. Also, the testing has been quite limited: Performing manipulations, embarking, "reveal" to verify the expected changes have taken place, "die".

fonzacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2018, 10:17:45 pm »

ah, thanks for pointing me in the right direction from the biomemanipulator thread. both tools are very nice to have for setting up ideal embarks, kudos.

SpeardwarfErith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2018, 04:56:38 pm »

Messing around with this is really fun. Though it's probably not a secret, I'm really amused by the fact that lowering terrain elevation without messing around with the river results in a massive aqueduct fit for Armok himself.

The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud: Hello Ago. Life is, in a word, death.
The swordsman Smoma Acaltekud stabs you in the lower body with his iron scimitar, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the left kidney!
The iron scimitar has lodged firmly in the wound!

Battle Royale Mode: A DFHack Script
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5