Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Making history run fast forvard after retirement  (Read 3596 times)

Waterline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making history run fast forvard after retirement
« on: May 15, 2017, 05:54:03 pm »

So what if I would like to read about my adventurer's deeds after, say, 100 years since his retirement or death?
To my knowledge the best possible way to run the history forward after world creation is by performing two week update before each new game that is started in the current world. Another way is to play as a bronze colossus and constantly run "wait" or "sleep" cycle. Or, maybe, by having some immortal creatuers in a fortress mode.
Obviously, all this are rather tedious workarounds, but maybe there is a way to somehow automatize time-skipping procedures?
I'd personally be glad to be able to decide the update time for the world before each new game in an existing world.
Sacrificing couple of hour for getting some years ahead is not that bad.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Making history run fast forvard after retirement
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 07:14:02 pm »

Recommend turning off pausing/migrants and running a bronze colossus fort. You should be able to leave that there for ever while it runs time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 12:33:16 am »

Alternatively:

Was thinking about this script for a while now and saw this thread so since I was feeling a bit scripty I went ahead and figured it out. Took forever because I forgot to try using the existing portions of the display to control the script so I was trying to incorporate a dialog at first, then I wanted a widget selector, before figuring out I'm dumb and should just use the >< cursor to do it.

Note that the last frame is kinda misleading, it doesn't jump that far that fast, I was just showing that you could simply exit the script and it'll run forward to your selected date normally.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:04:58 pm by Max™ »

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 01:25:37 am »

Could make a fort of 7 dwarves, set them up in a self sustaining fort on an island or deep in the mountains and get them to read the necronomicon then turn off the fps cap and interruptions and let it run a couple days

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 12:14:37 pm »

Holy geez Max.

Nice.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 06:08:14 pm »

Thankya, I feel like I could clean the script up more but after trying to get it to work like that for so long and still having no clue what I did, I'm terrified to try just yet.

Waterline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 02:39:47 am »

Thanks, Max, it is exactly what I needed.

Waterline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 03:13:53 am »

The only suggestion is to display the time skip in the main script title, since after a year one can not see how far away does cursor go.
Or there could be a prompt in which you set up the amount of time and after hitting "enter" it would re-calculate it in ticks and submit to world update.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 01:51:25 pm »

I have no idea how to do that yet, also don't use that version, gonna remove it in a second.

This one doesn't have the hang error that it did:
I'll try to figure out how to have it display the current date but this is the first time I've ever actually thrown up text on screen for a script, everything else I've ever done has just used the in-game display/interface where appropriate but I needed an indicator that the selection was active and when it was dismissed so I had to figure out some basic widgetry.

The version I posted originally was borked because I derped on the "check if this is the right screen and exit if not" so it just screams at you "LA LA LA YOU ARE ON THE WRONG SCREEN HA HA FUCK YOU" until you devel/pop-screen it.

Now it just exits and shows the error message if used on the wrong screen because I couldn't make it not show on the right screen yet, better a graceful clear than nothing I guess?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:05:27 pm by Max™ »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 01:54:55 pm »

I'm probably gonna use this, so what do you do, run it from the main screen? Or run it while it is updating the time as per usual?

Sorry if this is a dumb question :3

This is amazingly cool.

Waterline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 02:57:16 pm »

I have exclusively made a playable fire-breathing bullet-shooting innate necromancer bronze colossus to test your script (I have wiped some citizens from one town).

But apparently the history goes only one year ahead maximum...

EDIT: So I have ran it forth for three years.
The corpses are still on that streets and in the houses, which are used by new citizens now.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:16:20 pm by Waterline »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 04:48:21 pm »

I figured it out!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Figured out how to add a date display (and because goddammit what's the point otherwise) had it show the month day# rather than the year day# though again I'm sure there's an easier way than I used.

I'm probably gonna use this, so what do you do, run it from the main screen? Or run it while it is updating the time as per usual?

Sorry if this is a dumb question :3

This is amazingly cool.
Run it while on the updating world/region/calendar thing, otherwise it just exits and prints a message if on the wrong screen, and yeah, having it fully working and displaying the target date is indeed amazingly cool.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:06:09 pm by Max™ »

Waterline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 02:37:52 am »

Works like charm, thank you good sir!

Now it shows that there was some poor Goblin, who was suffering for three years after my rampage and died because he suffocated on bronze (I used molten bronze, gaseous bronze, bronze dust).

How would have I known this otherwise? Interesting details.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:52:58 am by Waterline »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 03:02:28 am »

Awesome. :D I'm really satisfied with this one, and hey, thanks for kicking off the "yanno, I was thinking about writing a script for that" motivation last night!

Waterline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 03:48:17 am »

Great coincidence, indeed.
Pages: [1] 2 3