Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When do you think we'll catastrophically fail?

Day 1-5
- 3 (23.1%)
Day 6-10
- 2 (15.4%)
Day 11-20
- 3 (23.1%)
Day 21-30
- 1 (7.7%)
Day 30-50
- 1 (7.7%)
Day 50+
- 1 (7.7%)
I don't know!
- 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Gridland Survival 2: Where I forget to change titles as the need arises.  (Read 6332 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile

I PM'd Supernerd, the host of the orginal Gridland Survival, asking him about the orignal Gridland Survival. He said he's currently managing Dryad Rage, another fun game, with similar mechanics, but there's no food problem because Supernerd lost faith in humanity when people would rather hunt a larger creature *barehanded* without keeping an eye on food. Basically a wave defense version of Gridland Survival Check it out. He also mentioned that he'd love to join the reboot if I ended up making it, so I decided to make this!

Since I couldn't be bothered to type out the entirety of the guide, I just copied and pasted most of it from GS1.

Introduction

Welcome to Gridland Survival 2! Its a variation of a series of games previously played on the MSPA forums and Chocolate Pi called Gridhood. The gimmick with this game is that it contains only one major civilization; of which each player is a member. The game will start off being fairly simple, with new rules being added as things happen. You will be hunting for food, exploring new lands, researching technology, fending off monster attacks and maybe participating in an election or something.

Previous knowledge of the Grid games is not required to fully enjoy this game.

Rules (More will be added later. All rules will be added to the first post)

Spoiler: Player Characters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Food (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scouting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Population (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Professions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Naming (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New Players (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Target Icons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Multiple Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mandatory Formatting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ranged Attacks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Item Rarities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mental Conditions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Taming (click to show/hide)
Signup Sheet
Here is the signup sheet. You will get three Character abilities, and if you join at the start of the game, you get two extra abilities. Post-start joiners can still get the extra two, but they'll be passed down from their parents.
Abilities can be summed up in a single word or you can give a short description of it. This can be physical traits, personality traits or whatever else you can think of. Feel free to be creative here.

The game will start when the starting 3x3 area + connected tiles are done.

Prior to filling out the Signup Sheet...
You are not intended to pick from the list of pre-existing abilities. Every single one of the abilities on that list was initially created because it was on an application in the first place. While you are allowed to pick pre-existing skills, I formally discourage you from doing that. Bonus points for not picking the most common gender for your character.

There has been confusion with new players applying to join the game. To clarify, you are NOT supposed to include a description of what abilities do. Just include the names. If you scroll down a bit you can see the first few player's application who signed up. I will also point out that it is recommended to create your own abilities as opposed to picking them from the list below. (Though it is probably acceptable if you pick a few abilities that already exist).

Also, it is preferred to send me a PM with the character sheet as opposed to posting it in the thread.
Spoiler: Signup Template (click to show/hide)

Gridland Encyclopedia
Spoiler: Character Abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Castes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Playerlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:54:05 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile

I think perhaps you should have edited the first post a bit more before posting it.

Obviously though, I intend to apply to play this. I am pretty much the best at Gridland Survival. Application coming later.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile

I might as well post reminders when the current food remaining will only pay the food upkeep for 5 more days.
it's over

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile

Just added a poll about the Red Fog mode, where wounded civilians suffer debuffs when wounded, and if a civilian is severely wounded, permanent debuffs may be inflicted. Don't vote yes if you aren't an expert at these gridland games.
it's over

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile

Nobody is an expert at these gridland games. You should know this, you claimed to have read every character of the last game.

Honestly, I think regular permadeath is hardcore enough.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile

Name: Grey Skywatcher
Character Ability 1: Interspecies socialization (receive a boost to non-violent animal interactions)
Character Ability 2: Adaptive thinking (she is able to use appropriate materials to perform an experiment on current research. Requires materials (consumed) and stacks with deep thinking. Provides a large boost to research gained that turn, and subsequent research if not discovered outright)
Character Ability 3: Dreamer (receives a bonus to creative actions, and may declare a "dream". When a dream is declared, the bonus becomes larger, but more narrowly applicable. You may declare a new dream waiting 1 turn after your last dream is accomplished, or 5 turns after you last declared a dream.
Character Ability 4: Botanist (bonus to growing/identifying plants)
Character Ability 4: Lithe (reduced chance of critical failure for physical actions)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:56:58 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile

I updated the OP by adding a section on ranged attacks.

Also, the grid and fog of war layers are done, time to make the terrain.
it's over

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile

PTP (posting to post)

doing long stuff on a phone is hard. I'll edit a player sheet here later.

Name: Grey Skywatcher
Character Ability 1: Interspecies socialization (receive a boost to animal interactions)
Character Ability 2: adaptive thinking (she is able to use appropriate materials to perform an experiment on current research. Requires materials (consumed) and an action to perform the experiment. Provides a large boost to research gained that turn, and subsequent research if not discovered outright)
Character Ability 3: Dreamer (receives a bonus to creative actions, and may declare a "dream". When a dream is declared, the bonus becomes larger, but more narrowly applicable. You may declare a new dream waiting 1 turn after your last dream is accomplished, or 5 turns after you last declared a dream.

(You may want to wipe the character ability/natural ability lists since we are starting over)

My suggestion for our first natural ability is "fertile" or the ability to have kids.

Alphas start with 5 abilities, and non-alphas get 2 from their parents, and get 3 more as they grow.

Also, fertile is required to lay eggs and repopulate, plus it's given to all adult/alpha civilians as a stock ability.

EDIT: Unless you change it before the game starts, your random abilities will be Strong and Runt.

I changed "Dreamer" to "Dreams Big" because Dreamer isn't that different from Dreams Big.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:43:29 am by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile

If anyone wants to see the current progress, here's the .png file.
(not pdn so no one reveals the full map so i don't have to remake it)

I've only gotten the center tile done, which is a tree in front of water, a homage to the original map.

Honestly, my map isn't really as high quality as the original map though.

I honestly really could have done better on the map.
I can do smaller pixel art, but I'm not a cartographer.

(I use Piskel for pixel art, and Paint.net for anything larger.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:44:58 am by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile

I decided to stick with the stock species abilities.

If you don't specify certain abilities, I'll generate a random one for the empty slots.
it's over

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile

I want in. Post to post once I get a sheet up and running.
Spoiler: Athra's sheet (click to show/hide)

Please let me know if there is anything that I need to fix or change. I am sure I might have screwed up a bit, since I don't feel confident that I fully understand the character creation process.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:26:51 am by zomara0292 »
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile

Added both sheets to the waitlist.

Also, making 121 different tiles is going to be a pain is the butt.
Especially for someone with barely any cartography experience.

My only other cartography experience:
it's over

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile

Name: Jiu Xi
Character Ability: Einzelganger: Bonus when working alone on something, slight malus when working together on something.
Character Ability 2: Fast
Character Ability 3: Scouting
Character Ability 4: Peak Scout: Sees better when higher up (vision/discovery/scouting bonus whilst in high terrain)
Character Ability 5: Improviser: Bonus when surprised/ambushed

If you need any help with making tiles, I'll be more than glad to do some pixely art for you. You can then just place them wherever you want without me knowing their locations.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:11:55 pm by Lord_lemonpie »

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile

Name: Jiu Xi
Character Ability: Einzelganger: Bonus when not close to any allies, slight malus when working together on something.
Character Ability 2: Fast
Character Ability 3: Scouting
Character Ability 4: Peak Scout: Sees better when higher up (vision/discovery/scouting bonus whilst in high terrain)
Character Ability 5: Improviser: Bonus when surprised/ambushed

If you need any help with making tiles, I'll be more than glad to do some pixely art for you. You can then just place them wherever you want without me knowing their locations.
"Einzelganger: Bonus when not close to any allies, slight malus when working together on something."
Considering we're starting with a 3x3 revealed grid, and a small map of 11x11, I don't think this will be a good idea.
it's over
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7