Cozy
- 10 (23.8%)
A E S T H E T I C
- 6 (14.3%)
Strange
- 17 (40.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 163

Author Topic: Losing Is Fun - The Interactive Comic  (Read 377638 times)

Anonylemon

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fight, We Mine, For Rock And Stone.
    • View Profile
Re: Losing Is Fun - The Interactive Comic
« Reply #1980 on: February 23, 2020, 08:03:36 am »

-the real deal-
Ask Clara III if she can teleport all 4 (Gwar, Mathia, our armor guy, and our tiger) of us. 
Ask Clara III if we can bring a portable backup of her to take along.
Then set an autopilot dodgeroll with cluster mantis spread maneuver.

+1. I see this as the best course of action, given the circumstances.

It's better than ramming into a bunch of missiles anyway.
+1
+1
+1
+1. If all 4 of us can't be teleported, Us, Clara III and Mathhias take priority

+1
+1

Fishyfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: February 24, 2020, 10:06:17 pm »

if one urist of energy is equal to one joule, then we have roughly 18.359 grams of anti-platinum. if we shot ten miligrams of anti-platinum at a missile, it would create a 1.8 tera-joule explosion on contact (430.21 tones of TNT)(kinda overkill). That would definitely be enough to destroy the missile, and there are only 37 missiles so we would be left with 17.989 grams of anti-platinum. if the missiles are headed straight for us then we would have no problem hitting them.

assuming we can shoot more than just mantis jerky.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:19:13 pm by Fishyfire »
if you are in the vicinity of any trees we will kill you
this is why i love elves

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: February 24, 2020, 11:31:24 pm »

If physical realism is allowed as an argument in Space Opera, you are bringing up an interesting point. A nuke destroying the ship would also destroy the containment device for the anti-matter. That would inevitably trigger a bigger explosion, where all anti-matter on board annihilates the first matter it bumps into.

If you are right about 18 kilograms of antimatter, which annihilates 18 kilograms of matter for an energy mass equivalence of 36 kilograms, that would be an explosion with 15 times the yield of Tsar Bomba, the heaviest nuke ever.
Doesn't sound impressive? In other units, it is 1.5 billion tons of tnt = 100.000 x the bomb that fell on Hiroshima.
It might be enough to blow up the space elves if they're close enough.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 02:00:20 am by Quarque »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: February 25, 2020, 06:24:23 am »

Regardless of whether or not the ship will explode, lets copy Clara III to our mind and teleport out. If we can teleport another body, teleport Matthias too

stingpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Shokmug Onor will never die
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: February 25, 2020, 11:02:49 am »

I did the math, If the missiles are traveling at the escape velocity of the moon, there are nine and a half minutes to stop them
(I took our moon's radius, and figured the missile were traveling an eighth of that.)
However, if the missiles are traveling at the fastest speed humans have managed to move something at, (the parker probe, at 95 km/s) there are fourteen seconds. If the ship fires a single capsule of antimatter every half second, this should give us 551 kilometers between the ship and the missiles. In space, nuclear weapons are very weak, because most of their devastation comes from the shock wave, so 551 km should be much more than enough to destroy them.
We can destroy the missiles even at the very worst scenario, so I vote to blow em' all up!

Additional note: We can teleport out of the ship, while the ship does all the nuke dodging, and then teleport back if the ship isn't destroyed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:05:57 am by stingpie »
The dwarven atom is made of !!TURKEY GOBLER!! remains

no one can deny this

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: February 25, 2020, 01:51:25 pm »

I did the math, If the missiles are traveling at the escape velocity of the moon, there are nine and a half minutes to stop them
(I took our moon's radius, and figured the missile were traveling an eighth of that.)
However, if the missiles are traveling at the fastest speed humans have managed to move something at, (the parker probe, at 95 km/s) there are fourteen seconds. If the ship fires a single capsule of antimatter every half second, this should give us 551 kilometers between the ship and the missiles. In space, nuclear weapons are very weak, because most of their devastation comes from the shock wave, so 551 km should be much more than enough to destroy them.
We can destroy the missiles even at the very worst scenario, so I vote to blow em' all up!

Additional note: We can teleport out of the ship, while the ship does all the nuke dodging, and then teleport back if the ship isn't destroyed.

Here is some behind the scenes science notes! The moon is tiny compared to ours. Its diamater is about the width of the plane. It's still looks larger in the sky because this is a comic and big moons are cinematic. The sun and moon's angular diamaters in the sky are both 1°. The moon is so small it might as well not have a gravity well.
Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: February 25, 2020, 02:37:54 pm »

Here is some behind the scenes science notes! The moon is tiny compared to ours. Its diamater is about the width of the plane. It's still looks larger in the sky because this is a comic and big moons are cinematic. The sun and moon's angular diamaters in the sky are both 1°. The moon is so small it might as well not have a gravity well.

John: That's no moon…it's a space station.
Mathias: It's too big to be a space station.
Gwar: I have a very bad feeling about this.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: February 25, 2020, 03:42:39 pm »

John: That's no moon…it's a space station.
Mathias: It's too big to be a space station.
Gwar: I have a very bad feeling about this.

I mean..... can we blow em all up? Is that a thing? If so, we should absolutely do that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

stingpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: February 25, 2020, 07:33:14 pm »

I mean..... can we blow em all up? Is that a thing? If so, we should absolutely do that.

it depends a lot on the size of the plane.
Looking at the map of the "local" area that Noi got, the average walking speed is 5 km per hour, and since it takes 2 days (on a road) to reach bridlecrowns from the bandit camp, I estimate that the local area is 120 km wide. Here is where it gets dicey. There is no indication how much bigger the plane is from this local map. The paths leading off the edge of the map indicate that the world is larger than the map, but just how much is left out is the major factor here. To be conservative, I'm going to assume that the plane is 130x130 km. So, this means the moon is at least 130 km long. In the little graphic on the last panel, the circle is about twice as big as the moon, so I'll assume the circle is 130 km. Then, the missiles have to travel roughly four times that distance, along with a detour that looks about the size of the moon, adding up to 650 km. this is roughly half of the km that I assumed the missiles were traveling before. This means that it is possible to blow up all the missiles if the ship fires in less than a quarter second, or the missiles are going at half the speed.

no one can deny this

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: February 25, 2020, 08:08:25 pm »

it depends a lot on the size of the plane.
Looking at the map of the "local" area that Noi got, the average walking speed is 5 km per hour, and since it takes 2 days (on a road) to reach bridlecrowns from the bandit camp, I estimate that the local area is 120 km wide. Here is where it gets dicey. There is no indication how much bigger the plane is from this local map. The paths leading off the edge of the map indicate that the world is larger than the map, but just how much is left out is the major factor here. To be conservative, I'm going to assume that the plane is 130x130 km. So, this means the moon is at least 130 km long. In the little graphic on the last panel, the circle is about twice as big as the moon, so I'll assume the circle is 130 km. Then, the missiles have to travel roughly four times that distance, along with a detour that looks about the size of the moon, adding up to 650 km. this is roughly half of the km that I assumed the missiles were traveling before. This means that it is possible to blow up all the missiles if the ship fires in less than a quarter second, or the missiles are going at half the speed.

Clara's graphics are not to scale so Grawrs lizard brain can make sense of it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:10:33 pm by MadMonkey »

stingpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: February 25, 2020, 08:32:59 pm »

I can tell you really want to justify blowing up the spaceship, so i'm gonna drop it,
but...

(it would only make sense to visually reduce distance, and that would give even more time for the missile destruction)

no one can deny this

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: February 25, 2020, 09:00:27 pm »

I can tell you really want to justify blowing up the spaceship, so i'm gonna drop it,
but...

(it would only make sense to visually reduce distance, and that would give even more time for the missile destruction)

I just wanted to clear up easy misconceptions so you don't spend time doing math that's orders of magnitudes off. I really enjoy reading peoples analysis like what tapk did with the runes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: February 25, 2020, 10:47:11 pm »

Quote from: Clara III
"Proceed to Class B gate. We area almost within range to teleport you to Cityshanks but we don't have much time."
She mentioned you, so I;m not sure whether she means The whole ship or just Grawr.

If the whole ship, let’s teleport to Cityshanks

If just Grawr’s body, have Clara copy her mind into ours and then we teleport to Cityshanks

coop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: February 26, 2020, 12:30:29 am »

"one urist of energy"  :D
lold

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: February 26, 2020, 11:58:26 am »

I really think we should try to do something cool like the “Make all the missies clump and dodge the whole mass” or something.

It’s a space opera now, and we cant have a space opera without our ship.
And Clara is friend to.

She feels pride at getting us here, that’s all we need to know to know that she is friend.
We can’t just friendship speech Mathias into a redemption arc and then leave our cool friend space ship.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 163