Cozy
- 10 (23.8%)
A E S T H E T I C
- 6 (14.3%)
Strange
- 17 (40.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 163

Author Topic: Losing Is Fun - The Interactive Comic  (Read 373310 times)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: Losing Is Fun - Interactive Web Comic
« Reply #1125 on: May 28, 2019, 02:55:03 pm »

Deny the offer for now. We need to think about this.

While it's probably made from divine metal and better than the actual Tributescar, we aren't here for some off-brand Tributescar that's just some mockery of all we hold dear. That said, this guy is likely our only hope of escaping wherever we are, and even if he only gives cryptic useless answers alienating him may not be a good idea given that he also probably has some power over the blood sea that we happen to be standing in.

We need to figure out what we actually seek or whatever. We obviously want Tributescar, but right now our little Gwrar is a one-dimensional character going through a spiritual journey, which tends to entail that our DM wants us to stop being a one-dimensional cute kobold and get our life's desires sorted out. There's a few things that we should talk out about what we want.

1. To what end to we want Tributescar? Is it a step in the journey to achieving greatness? Are we trying to help the kobold race as a whole not be mocked for their weakness? I think that Tributescar is an important goal for us: the successful thievery of an artifact weapon from nothing less than a dwarven stronghold might help kobolds be thought of on a little more of an equal basis, more of as cunning lizardfolk than primitive annoyances. Also, we originally wanted the cool weapon aspect of it. The offer of what I'm assuming to be a divine metal dagger nullifies that point, but the act of stealing of Tributescar itself is important to us in my opinion. This all holds true to our former statements and actions while providing us a real reason for doing things.

2. Do we have any morals? AKA, are we going to try to act like a kobold, or are we going to act like a DF player playing a kobold? If so, what are they? Do we adhere to the raws for the most part? I think the kobold ethics are acceptable, and they support my suggested motives for our actions well enough while still allowing us to have a little fun (ie, torture for fun).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. What are we willing to die for? This is a pretty simple question, but its important we draw lines here. I'm thinking something like "die for koboldkind, but don't die for a few kobolds." This'll let us justify save-the-world heroics

Also of note, this guy doesn't seem to be some godly and always-right type of figure, though he might be godly in power. His statement of "If one seeks that which one will never have one suffers. If one seeks that which they already have one is lost." is not true in plenty of cases, one of which happens to be the case he's trying to apply it to, which is us wanting Tributescar. I can name four things off the top of my head that both parts of the statement don't apply to: honor, glory, wealth, and success. Tributescar is all of these things: it is valuable, the theft would bring glory to koboldkind, honor to ourselves, and success to our legacy. Wanting to be successful without the ability to be successful is not a bad thing, as it may at least drive us to a more moderate form of failure. Wanting more success when it is already had may allow us to increase the amount of success we have, which tends to be good. Replace success in those statements with glory, honor, and wealth as needed. If need be we can pull this logic on him when trying to get him to cut the crap with the cryptic stuff, but in fantasy scenarios gods don't like getting told they're wrong.

One more reason why we need to think about this: we never figured out what our powers are in this dimension. For example, can we make our own blood weapon? I don't like being without a weapon, but submitting to obsidian guy's will and taking the fake Tributescar is also not high on my priority list. There are some things we would have to ask obsidian guy about, like if our powers stay when outside of this dimension (if we can even escape, he didn't give a straight answer on that) and also what the deal is with this realm and just our powers in general. However, we might not get a chance to ask about it, so while we mull over stuff I suggest trying to create a blood weapon and also trying to do some extravagant and overzealous thing, like making a blood tower or a blood boat or something, just to see how powerful we are. Ooh right, do we need food? We could try to make food, too. This all comes later, though, I expect, so I'm not gonna include it in my lime text.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: May 28, 2019, 04:09:09 pm »

I saw it as more of a demonstration than an offering.

Seems like he's trying to riddle us some knowledge more than anything else. He might even be a helpful riddle-based entity, you know how those are.

But yes, if he's trying to bribe us into servitude, politely decline. If anything we should ask who he is and where we are exactly and what is going on.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:35:29 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shockwave07

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: May 28, 2019, 04:49:52 pm »

Getting Tributescar this way without the adventure feels hollow. Victory without the effort is not fun...
Novice overseer of Lanceheld a town of Taverns and Tantrums!

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: May 28, 2019, 05:48:29 pm »

"The real Tributescar. That's a bloody fake and you know it!"

"I want the real Tributescar. That's a bloody fake and you know it!" you say.

"Then there is still hope for one."

He closes his hand and the dagger turns back into blood.

Ask him who he is and what he wants.

"Who are you and what do you want?" you ask.

He replies, "My name is Mathias. I am a Soldier of Blood, last of my kind. I seek the bloodshed of all sentient beings."

You ask, "What is this place? How did I get here?"

"This is The Land of Blood. You died and, as a chosen of Armok, your soul was brought here instead of facing oblivion."

"So there is really no getting back to the land of the living?" you ask.

Mathias says, "I have walked this plane for 4,320,260,250 years. If there was a way to leave this place I would know it."

Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: May 28, 2019, 05:56:53 pm »

Let's just go ask Armok if we can go out for a bit.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: May 28, 2019, 07:44:06 pm »

We need to think about sounding more... koboldy. I suggest replacing all hard "th"s at the starts of words with "d"s. Hence:

"I want de real Tributescar. Dat's a bloody fake and you know it!"
"What is dis place?"
"So dere is really no getting back to de land of de living?"

How 'bout it?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: May 28, 2019, 08:07:58 pm »

We need to think about sounding more... koboldy. I suggest replacing all hard "th"s at the starts of words with "d"s. Hence:

"I want de real Tributescar. Dat's a bloody fake and you know it!"
"What is dis place?"
"So dere is really no getting back to de land of de living?"

How 'bout it?

It's true that we are not, in fact, epic-themed blood god material. We are a kobold adventurer that was press ganged into an arena for which we were uniquely suited. We are still the same kobold that went for a shiny shield in the middle of a crowded tavern, then just barely missed to vote to fling a live cat as a means of escape.

Also, it sounds like he's talking about himself. When we refused the instant fulfillment of our wishes, he said there was still hope. Maybe he's stuck here and we aren't ... yet. We are nothing if not doggedly (lul) determined.

For reals this series just keeps getting better.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: May 28, 2019, 08:17:29 pm »

Just a thought, since it appears it is possible to craft many things out of the raw material of this world, maybe we can make a door out?

But I'd rather not try right now, lest we succeed in letting scary blood-shedding guy into our world.

Although if that one prophet was right, I'm not sure we can avoid doing that.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: May 28, 2019, 08:38:10 pm »

Just a thought, since it appears it is possible to craft many things out of the raw material of this world, maybe we can make a door out?

But I'd rather not try right now, lest we succeed in letting scary blood-shedding guy into our world.

Although if that one prophet was right, I'm not sure we can avoid doing that.

Ah, shit. It's Craig, isn't it? We're going to break the laws of God and man and return from the blood dimension, thereby accidentally fulfilling Punchy The Prophet's wildest blood fantasies.

I guess it was implied that we'd try to return without causing an apocalypse or bringing other less respectable denizens along, so this isn't really meta (if true). Regardless, we are one hundo percent getting out or here or our name isn't Grawr.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: May 28, 2019, 08:55:39 pm »

Dangit! Right after I propose a way to do this if he's not gonna be helpful he starts talking!

We seem to be at a dead end, then. We could ask more questions, Mathias likely knows some stuff. Stuff like if he's ever communicated with Armok, if there were ever any other living things here, and if there's any good way to get a sense of our surroundings (AKA, does he have a map of this place?). Ooh right, also, what happens if we die here? Has Mathias ever tried killing himself to escape?

As for changing the all the th's to d's I suggest not doing that, because I can only read the example in what seems to be a cross between the Terminator and Ugandan Knuckles voice. Plus, I think we can justly say that literally dying and waking up as a skeleton has probably changed us a little personality wise, never mind just our linguistics.

Back to the topic of what to do, we could wait for the plot hook. Not just standing around, of course, but satisfy all our desires: question the heck out of Mathias*, explore the ruins, discover what we can do with our powers in this blood land. Barring that, a prayer to Armok may be in order.

* What happens if we die here? Have you talked to Armok? Has there been/is there anybody else here? What do you do to pass the time? Do you have any way for me to get a good sense of the surroundings? What was the deal with the strange looking dagger material, are your blood powers different from mine?

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: May 28, 2019, 09:50:07 pm »

Ask  Mathias how Armok expects him to shed the blood of all sentient life if he is trapped on this plane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 28, 2019, 10:33:14 pm »

I rather like the idea of remote blood puppet experimentation, actually.

There's plenty of raw material here; sympathetic magic should be no problem.

Step 1) Blood based scrying pool. If we cannot leave physically, we can at least be apprised of what is going on over there.
Step 2) Use enhanced powers over here, to direct our will through the pool, and into what we are viewing.
Step 3) Use our powers to forcibly terminate something over there via exsanguination, then form a gwrar shaped blood puppet.
Step 4) ?
Step 5) Profit.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: May 29, 2019, 02:30:00 am »

Create an advanced empire out of blood
@wierd +1000000000
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Blob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: May 29, 2019, 05:06:04 am »

Ask him about:
-Himself (now and his past)
-This dimension (any notable sights, hemomancy power amplifications or whatever else)
-Armok (his relation to the 2 previously mentioned and about himself)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: May 29, 2019, 09:43:00 am »

Ask  Mathias how Armok expects him to shed the blood of all sentient life if he is trapped on this plane.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 163