Cozy
- 10 (23.8%)
A E S T H E T I C
- 6 (14.3%)
Strange
- 17 (40.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 163

Author Topic: Losing Is Fun - The Interactive Comic  (Read 373247 times)

GatoGamer887

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Losing Is Fun - The Interactive Comic
« Reply #1635 on: December 07, 2019, 02:42:29 pm »

Ask the vulture man to drink some before you do (so you can observe its effects).
They told us to not be afraid
I don't trust them. They may be trying to poison us to get rid of us.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: December 07, 2019, 02:47:27 pm »

Ask the vulture man to drink some before you do (so you can observe its effects).
They told us to not be afraid
I don't trust them. They may be trying to poison us to get rid of us.

I very much doubt it, they had plenty of opportunity to get rid of us before the whole dance-friendship thing. This just seems unnecessarily elaborate.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: December 07, 2019, 02:59:43 pm »

Often, tribal initiations like this carry some measure of mortal peril, as it is a test of legitimacy and strength to show worthiness in the joining.

Many ancient cultures had ritual hunts against truly terrible or ferocious beasts; We are fortunate they did not tell us to go sleep in the open alone at night, and return with a night creature corpse.
Drinking toxic berry juice is significantly less dangerous.

A refusal on our part to undertake the initiation would be a grievous social faux-pas.  It is a high honor to be extended the opportunity to join their society, since such cultures often have to have every member count for something; Being extended the offer means they consider us of value. Refusal, indicates our disfavor with THEIR value.  It's the kind of thing blood feuds get started over.

Refusal is not really an option, unless you want to brutally murder their entire tribe to get away.

Drink the damn berry juice.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:03:31 pm by wierd »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: December 07, 2019, 03:14:02 pm »

I think there's a burning question other than what the juice does.
Or how the vultures will react if we refuse.

What we really need to know is how is Kudo wearing a feather?
Did he find the one he lost? Did Noi give him a new one?

Focus on what's important in the update.

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: December 07, 2019, 03:26:41 pm »

What we really need to know is how is Kudo wearing a feather?

He apologized about the lost feather as soon as you regrouped. You gave him a new feather and made sure he didn't think you were mad at him. He really is charming and has helped you so much already.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:35:05 pm by MadMonkey »
Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: December 07, 2019, 05:16:47 pm »

Yeah I guess when a guy loses his hand while fighting at your side, you give him some extra slack on the feather test.

AudiRgr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: December 07, 2019, 06:27:16 pm »

Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!
Chug! Chug! Chug! (+1)
+1
+1

Plus who knows how this tribe will react to their offer being refused? For all we know it's a choice between a little sickness and public execution. For me at least, the decision is obvious.

+1

Drink in a single chug no matter what

Yes, let’s drink it all in one go

+1 to this

AudiRgr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: December 07, 2019, 06:27:42 pm »

Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!
Chug! Chug! Chug! (+1)
+1
+1

Plus who knows how this tribe will react to their offer being refused? For all we know it's a choice between a little sickness and public execution. For me at least, the decision is obvious.

+1

Drink in a single chug no matter what

Yes, let’s drink it all in one go

+1 to this

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: December 08, 2019, 12:40:00 am »

"Dis eye open juice. Drink and enter sacred plane. Drink fast and no be scared."

How about a stupid power move? Be literal. Stick your fingers in the juice, then stick your fingers in your eyes, then drink.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: December 08, 2019, 04:42:29 am »

"Dis eye open juice. Drink and enter sacred plane. Drink fast and no be scared."

How about a stupid power move? Be literal. Stick your fingers in the juice, then stick your fingers in your eyes, then drink.
As much as I want to plus one that I'm not going to, as there is a potential that juice might blind us.

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: December 08, 2019, 08:01:40 am »

Of course. And probably. But...

What are we doing when the only options being contemplated are "Drink" or "Don't Drink"? Especially when we all know that "Drink" is the option that will be popularly chosen because it's obviously better for the story? All we are saying to MM is "Go on". He could have drawn the next part of the story at the same time, in that case. We accept that he has already decided what story drivers will happen when the stuff is drunk, that's fine. No one is saying "Drink, and then x or y should happen in the vision" because we know it's already decided. That's okay, we're not writing the story. But when our contributions are basically "Go on" and the next scene could have been drawn right after the last without input we aren't really interacting with the story.

It's something MM may not have thought of to flavor what he already wants to do. Permanent blindness and pain could be a result. Or death. None of which needs to be an end to the story or make it less entertaining. It's also a disservice to MM to assume that punishment is all he has in his kit-bag when he has complete agency over events. He's hardly limited to punitive options and there's little evidence that he prefers them. Rather than "go on" let's think of things that give him options outside of the main plot already penciled in.

In this example it could be something as simple as an eye color change. Or it could be something mystical, like having eyes that can see dead spirits. Or it could impress/offend the vulture tribe and earn us the acclaimed/infamous title of Noi the Eyes of Juice. Maybe half the tribe is impressed and the other half offended, creating a vulture tribe schism and potential for political plot and antagonism in that regard. Or it could be nothing more than looking like an uncultured idiot. Importantly, any of that could happen along with whatever is already planned for the cactus-juice. We don't need to brainstorm ideas for every direction we suggest but we should try to offer directions that, with only a little imagination, leave the way open for extra plot points.

We were very close to having the bird dance idea voted down because of conservatism.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: December 08, 2019, 08:48:11 am »

Blow bubbles in the juice with our mouth, then very loudly slurp it up as you would an extremely hot soup.  In some cultures, that could be well respected, who knows with vulture people?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: December 08, 2019, 09:56:53 pm »

Of course. And probably. But...

What are we doing when the only options being contemplated are "Drink" or "Don't Drink"? Especially when we all know that "Drink" is the option that will be popularly chosen because it's obviously better for the story? All we are saying to MM is "Go on". He could have drawn the next part of the story at the same time, in that case. We accept that he has already decided what story drivers will happen when the stuff is drunk, that's fine. No one is saying "Drink, and then x or y should happen in the vision" because we know it's already decided. That's okay, we're not writing the story. But when our contributions are basically "Go on" and the next scene could have been drawn right after the last without input we aren't really interacting with the story.

It's something MM may not have thought of to flavor what he already wants to do. Permanent blindness and pain could be a result. Or death. None of which needs to be an end to the story or make it less entertaining. It's also a disservice to MM to assume that punishment is all he has in his kit-bag when he has complete agency over events. He's hardly limited to punitive options and there's little evidence that he prefers them. Rather than "go on" let's think of things that give him options outside of the main plot already penciled in.

In this example it could be something as simple as an eye color change. Or it could be something mystical, like having eyes that can see dead spirits. Or it could impress/offend the vulture tribe and earn us the acclaimed/infamous title of Noi the Eyes of Juice. Maybe half the tribe is impressed and the other half offended, creating a vulture tribe schism and potential for political plot and antagonism in that regard. Or it could be nothing more than looking like an uncultured idiot. Importantly, any of that could happen along with whatever is already planned for the cactus-juice. We don't need to brainstorm ideas for every direction we suggest but we should try to offer directions that, with only a little imagination, leave the way open for extra plot points.

We were very close to having the bird dance idea voted down because of conservatism.

+1. What's the point of an interactive story if you don't take risks?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: December 08, 2019, 10:02:45 pm »

To be fair to MM, he can't really predict what we'll come up with. For every 'Drink/Don't Drink' scenario it's just as likely that we'll come up with a 'Bird Dance for Dominance' option.

Not every decision point needs to be something out of left field, though they can have a dramatic effect when they do.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: December 08, 2019, 10:36:43 pm »

I don't know that it's as simple a choice as drink/no drink either. Do we sip it slowly, easing into it or do we down it in one big gulp? Do we only take half? or a quarter? to test the effects before trusting odd old vulture shamans?

Each of us has been given a bowl. Should we all drink at once, or have one of us go first? The human should have the greatest mass to dilute the potion, but he's also in the worst shape physically and is low on blood. Edi has a history with alcohol and who knows how it could affect his tolerance for this stuff.

I think Edi, feeling deprived of his regular booze, will drink his entire bowl whatever we say. If Kudo seems worried, reassure him by saying that we'll do this together.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 163