Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves and their needs?  (Read 622 times)

Jamantu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves and their needs?
« on: May 16, 2017, 06:33:05 pm »

Hello! I was redirected to this section, but for Fortress mode, I've stumbled into a big problem. My dwarves have needs. Things like "Urist has become Unfocused after Not being able to practice a martial art." and "Urist has become Very Unfocused after being unable to Pray to Armok."  How can I remove these needs? The [NO_EMOTION] tag hasn't removed them as far as I've seen

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: Dwarves and their needs?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 01:20:26 am »

I don't know if there's an easy way to remove needs completely, but you can eliminate or minimize most of them by altering the default values of the dwarven entity and the range of dwarven personalities.  Getting rid of RELIGION:PANTHEON and the religion sphere tags from the MOUNTAIN entity ought to make your dwarves atheists; I think that will remove the need to pray.  I've done a little research about what impact personality traits and values seem to have on needs.  Dwarves don't always agree with all of their civilization's values, so you probably can't completely eliminate needs from your entire population, but you should be able to get rid of the bulk of them.

You might want to keep the need to stay occupied, since that's fulfilled by practically any activity; it'll help to balance any distraction for those social deviants who reject your carefully tuned need-eliminating values.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Jamantu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves and their needs?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 06:29:11 pm »

Cool, thank you very much! I appreciate the response