Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Against the Gods (OOC) (10/8)  (Read 8200 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Against the Gods (OOC) (10/8)
« on: May 17, 2017, 03:06:44 am »

IC-Thread

In those days our nature hadn't yet become apparent to us. Placid like sheep we prayed to those above and cursed those below. It was the way of things, it was what our elders had done, so why should we do different? Superstitious to a fault we blamed them for bad weather and praised them for good one. Curdled milk alone might spawn a hunt for those who might consort with the devil in our villages, sacrifices in temples, a day of the week spend in contemplation of the divine and once a year a month of fasting...oh if only we had known.

Welcome to against the Gods, in which you, the players will take the role of a number of medieval kings and lords in a world far from mundane. While you see to it to lead your kingdoms to greatness and prosperity you will become aware of an ever growing threat...and i don't want to spoil much more. In scope and Scale this will work like the You are King games of Yore with similiar Mechanics to Spamkingdom, relatively simple to keep things (hopefully) fast-paced and on point.

If you want to join here's a sheet:

Name of your Sovereign:
Name of your Nation:

Fluff: (Government, Culture, History and General Landscape of your Kingdom. Several Things Though: you are human and i would avoid going for an entirely mountaineous kingdom or one thats isolated by mountain ranges...just saying, you can still do it but it will be !!FUN!!. Gunpowder is not a thing yet, nor are repeating crossbows. )
Focus: (Choose one - it gives you a bonus in that category but not automatically better stats than other kingdoms)
Population
Economy
Military
Happiness
Magic (warning, magic is very rare, even if you take this as a focus, you are only guaranteed that you get magic, not that its much. Also also, its You are King levels of dangerous.)

I'll be taking eight people.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 05:31:49 pm by Ghazkull »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Against the Gods (OOC) (0/8)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 06:46:49 am »

Not that I'm not interested, but I really doubt that many people will know what you are king was these days.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:11:43 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 07:10:51 am »

Will post sheet here in a bit.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:02:54 am »

Posting to watch and possibly apply

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:44:29 am »

I hope you don't mind that I placed my nation on your border, micelus.

Spoiler: Guerrand (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ĄNo parmesan!

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 08:50:53 am »

Both applications are perfect, you are both in. And thanks for already situating your kingdoms in relation to each other that makes map creation much easier :D

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 09:09:36 am »

I hope you don't mind that I placed my nation on your border, micelus.

Spoiler: Guerrand (click to show/hide)

No problem at all. Although, if this was more of a worldbuilding game, I could see a lot of interplay between both nations.

Graņifi might think Guerrandians to be waaay too uptight and need to relax a little...if they had anything to do besides bash someone's skull in for gold or pretend that their wine is any good. On the other hand, Guerrandians might think that the Graņifi are morally loose and have waaay too much gold in their hands. Furthermore, they might think the Graņifi to be a bit sheepish since they've more or less accepted the tyranny of a faux-royal whereas the upright nation of Guerran continues to have but a mere prince. While the Prince may not  be elected, at least he doesn't pretend to be chosen by the people.

Of course past those stereotypes, I would think that Graņifi merchants would prefer to hire Guerrandians soldiers to protect themselves and I wouldn't doubt that the majority of the Protector's retinue are Guerrandian in origin. Being so close to Graņif also means that the Guerrandians are able to purchase a great variety of products from all over the world.

Then we also come to the fact that despite their differences, both countries are quite similar, save for circumstances of faith and investment. The languages are probably similar or even just dialects of each other. Some people might not even care too much about their differences and when travelling abroad, might prefer their neighbour's company rather than the locals.

EDIT: edited my sheet very slightly to make it seem like Guerrand and Graņifi's religions have a common root.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:13:59 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:20:43 am »

Reserving spot; will post sheet in a little bit.

Spoiler: Here we go (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:28:33 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 10:09:03 am »

Sounds fine you are in.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Against the Gods (OOC) (3/8)
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 10:20:31 am »

PTW, Sheet sooner then later(in a few hours max)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 10:33:04 am »

No problem at all. Although, if this was more of a worldbuilding game, I could see a lot of interplay between both nations.

Graņifi might think Guerrandians to be waaay too uptight and need to relax a little...if they had anything to do besides bash someone's skull in for gold or pretend that their wine is any good. On the other hand, Guerrandians might think that the Graņifi are morally loose and have waaay too much gold in their hands. Furthermore, they might think the Graņifi to be a bit sheepish since they've more or less accepted the tyranny of a faux-royal whereas the upright nation of Guerran continues to have but a mere prince. While the Prince may not  be elected, at least he doesn't pretend to be chosen by the people.

Of course past those stereotypes, I would think that Graņifi merchants would prefer to hire Guerrandians soldiers to protect themselves and I wouldn't doubt that the majority of the Protector's retinue are Guerrandian in origin. Being so close to Graņif also means that the Guerrandians are able to purchase a great variety of products from all over the world.

Then we also come to the fact that despite their differences, both countries are quite similar, save for circumstances of faith and investment. The languages are probably similar or even just dialects of each other. Some people might not even care too much about their differences and when travelling abroad, might prefer their neighbour's company rather than the locals.

EDIT: edited my sheet very slightly to make it seem like Guerrand and Graņifi's religions have a common root.

A common root was what I had in mind already, heh.

The good people of Guerrand undoubtedly judge the Graņifi for their lack of morals and nonsensical religious traditions, and their obviously poor system of government and clearly ramshackle administration impresses no-one. I'm sure they can't help but be a little envious of Graņifi's wealth, even if they might never admit it. Guerrandese merchants, always losing out to Graņifi competition, are no doubt bitter when it comes to dealing with their neighbors - but they too benefit from the proximity of such a major trade hub. Mercenaries, too, are always happy to work for someone who can a) pay and b) pay well.

I'm not so sure about the languages being similar; it seems like there's somewhat of a linguistic divide, though no doubt loan woards and influence have gone both ways over the centuries (or in more OOC words, you show more of a Ibero-Moorish inspiration and I French one when it comes to naming). There are plenty of similarities between the two cultures, of course - the Graņifi might be foreign, but they're understandably foreign.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ĄNo parmesan!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 10:43:29 am »

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:50:43 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 10:48:44 am »

A common root was what I had in mind already, heh.

The good people of Guerrand undoubtedly judge the Graņifi for their lack of morals and nonsensical religious traditions, and their obviously poor system of government and clearly ramshackle administration impresses no-one. I'm sure they can't help but be a little envious of Graņifi's wealth, even if they might never admit it. Guerrandese merchants, always losing out to Graņifi competition, are no doubt bitter when it comes to dealing with their neighbors - but they too benefit from the proximity of such a major trade hub. Mercenaries, too, are always happy to work for someone who can a) pay and b) pay well.

I'm not so sure about the languages being similar; it seems like there's somewhat of a linguistic divide, though no doubt loan woards and influence have gone both ways over the centuries (or in more OOC words, you show more of a Ibero-Moorish inspiration and I French one when it comes to naming). There are plenty of similarities between the two cultures, of course - the Graņifi might be foreign, but they're understandably foreign.

Derp. I thought you were going for an Italian or Castillian-based culture. Still, it probably isn't too difficult to gibber at each other in the same way.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 10:58:31 am »

Like all the best things, it's a mix - I'd call it Franco-Swiss-Italian, maybe, with most bits not supposed to be any particular culture. I imagine Graņifi might be a trade lingua franca in this (part of the) world, so a lot of people can probably speak it. Being neighbors helps, too.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 11:39:39 am »

Ok, here is my final submission.

Name of your Sovereign: Roboking High King Rincklefich VII
Name of your Nation: Jautonlund

Jauntonlund is a distant coastal hinterland. It lays west is taken south east of Graņif. Jountenlund is a vast nation, one of the largest, and has the most coastline by far. It has three kinds of cities. The bakki Cities, which lay along the coast. The capital city of Joutenburg is one such coastal city. The inland towns and cities are referred to as burr cities. Then the island ports, called bauga cities.

History/Government: Centuries ago Jautonlund was many small countries. These countries often bickered and faught, occasionally having small ways. However, during his reign Lewi Rincklefich the First of His Name, Conquer of the Jautons and Unifier of the Divided, conquered over half of them. He died rather under rather particularly, but all specific records have been destroyed in order to protect his legacy. His son Lewi Rincklefich conquered about four fifths of the remaining independent kingdoms and struck peace treaties with the few remaining independent kingdoms. It wasnt until Lewi Rincklefich the Fifth's reign that the remaining independent and island kingdoms were integrated (peacefully this time) into the kingdom.

As a result Jautonlund sees itself as a collection of individuals and likes it that way. The regions each retain local control and vary widely, but all take great pride in being strong Jautons. Many people speak the common tongue in addition to Jautonese and their local ancestral dialect. The government has three levels: Einn (The monarch), Mikill (The Many), and the Stoll (The Seat). The Stoll level of the government is the local regional government. Each region is rather independent and most of the laws are specific to this level. The Mikill is the collection of lords and leaders from each region. There are several low kings, rulers of small areas, who answer to the high king. This body is called once every few years, and during times of war. Lastly there is the Einn. This level of government sets the greater laws of the nations and handles all taxation and military matters. The king is fairly well liked, as he keeps taxes low and the nation strong, and does little to interfere with the lives of his citizens.

Culture: Its hard to place a general overarching culture on the Jauton people, but here are some of the general cultural aspects that remain constant over the large and diverse country. Jautons place a high value on freedom and hard work. This is likely a relic from the period in which most of Jautonlund was many small kingdoms. They believe that Jautons should stand upon their own feet, and that assisting those who can't is the hallmark of a hero. Its rather confusing. In theory, good people can fend for themselves. However, those who can't also receive some level of reverence and a fair amount of assistance. Jauton also has a long military history, also a relic from its former splintered history. Jauton's also have a love of literature. Jauton poetry is among the finest in the world and often comes with the raw emotional feelings that Jautons seem so full of. They also love the theater, and books. Libraries and theaters are the most important public places in cities. Jauton culture revolves a lot around food. Jauton's love food more than any other people in the world. They love growing food, catching food, cooking food, and eating food. Its greatly ingrained in their culture. All meals are taken with friends and family, and a meal alone is considered a terribly sad thing. Other cultures find this weird at first, but after a few rowdy meals with more than a few Jauton's, they begin to understand why eating alone can be so sad. Lastly Jauton's are quite in-tune with nature. Most Jautons have jobs working fields, or in forests, or on the sea. They spend incredible amounts of time outside. As a result, they have a better understanding and attunement with nature that most civilized nations tend to lose.

Landscape: Jautonlund is a large nation, but the vast majority of it is temperate/sub-tropical plains and forests. It has an immense amount of sandy coastline as well. There is a mountain range in the northeast where Jautonlund gets most of its iron and stone from, but with that exception, the whole country is fairly flat rolling hills and completely flat prairies.

Focus: Population
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:48:19 pm by Roboson »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8