Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (Exp. pack) releasing in August 2017!  (Read 1237 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile

This just got announced today at E3. They're making an expansion pack for XCOM 2 with 3 new soldier classes, at least 6-7 new enemy types, new weapons, new customization options (fricking CLOAKS!), Fire Emblem Support-style "bonding" system that grants bonuses for compatible squadmates, new mission types, new environments, a Resistance movement with actual factions that feels more alive... folks, this looks like a big one. They say it will have twice the content of their XCOM: Enemy Within expansion pack for their previous game. Stay tuned for an August release!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/593380/XCOM_2_War_of_the_Chosen/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:32:06 pm by Xvareon »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (Exp. pack) releasing in August 2017!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 09:17:20 pm »

>_< Not impressed as of yet.

The expansion for the first Xcom was an entire layer grafted onto the original game.

This one SO FAR seems to be a few tweeks, a new system (that likely will be barely used), and a few extra enemies you will bulldoze.

But then again I haven't really seen the full extent.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:58:27 pm »

What?
It's fine to like or dislike what's been revealed so far, but this EP is very obviously bigger than enemy within.

This is just one of many additions to the strategy layer.
The Chosen can also invade the strategy layer and ravage XCOM’s global operations. Find and raid the Chosen’s strongholds to defeat the enemy for good.

I hate this kind of reductionist argument.
"Enemy Within just adds one new class, one new alien enemy, some new soldier abilities, and a new mission type against redlined XCOM."
You can do it to literally anything. Intentionally twist your wording to make it seem like something is a lot less than what it actually is. It's dishonest, only serves to justify one's needless pessimism, and I'm sick of it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:08:51 pm »

Ohh no! A secondary Terror attack and an extra factory type!!!

It is using current systems right now, which is why I am not blown away with "So much new"... I mean Enemy Within added extra missions and an entire additional enemy faction too.

So this whole "It is bigger" has yet to be shown.

Hence: I am not impressed yet.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:15:35 pm »

And this EP adds an entirely new faction. As well as new mission types and 3 new map types. And gameplay on the strategy layer regarding the chosen, which looks a lot like a better/similar version of XCOM + Exalt which was just "send one guy there and wait or get random penalty".

It seems like you haven't actually bothered to read anything about it before you start complaining.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 10:44:46 pm »

And this EP adds an entirely new faction. As well as new mission types and 3 new map types. And gameplay on the strategy layer regarding the chosen, which looks a lot like a better/similar version of XCOM + Exalt which was just "send one guy there and wait or get random penalty".

It seems like you haven't actually bothered to read anything about it before you start complaining.

I've read it all. Remember that fluff =/= execution.

I am just choosing not to assume that these features are implemented in the most grandiose way.

I mean technically you could say that the Alien Leaders added 4 additional factions. So I just get into the nitty gritty and think about how things will likely be implemented on a mechanical level.

Will the "New Faction" be a new faction that acts against you? To me? Probably not.

Hence why I keep saying "I am not impressed YET"
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:50:34 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 11:19:28 pm »

This couldn't have gone in the XCOM2 thread literally two posts down where we were already discussing it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 11:21:28 pm »

This couldn't have gone in the XCOM2 thread literally two posts down where we were already discussing it?

This. The XCOM 2 thread was talking about the DLC before this thread was.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 11:31:28 pm »

The XCOM thread with over 400 posts already? Yeah, I just now saw that when you mentioned it. My apologies, I was too focused on reposting this in the proper section of the forum to think about what threads were already up, especially since this announcement for the expansion pack was literally made just today. I'm not gonna focus on that now, though, I wanna focus on the hype.

I can only imagine what goodies will come when they manage to sync the Long War 2 mod with this beast. ^^  We will get all sorts of new game mechanics to play with, including tactical battle modifiers; that "SITREP" system they're teasing us with. Also, I can hardly believe that very last thing:
Customize and pose your soldiers, then add filters, text and backgrounds to generate your own unique resistance posters that appear in-game and can be shared with friends.
Requires XCOM® 2 game. Sold separately.
So we can basically make our own wanted posters, recruitment posters, and "big game hunting" family photos, it sounds like. The metagaming, man. Beaglerush (prominent XCOM livestreamer) is gonna have SO much fun with this. And I will, too, especially with the new gas masks, cloaks, longcoats, and wood-framed guns in the AK-47 style we saw in the trailer, giving a much more STALKER or Metro feel to our soldiers. You can already kinda guess which faction I'll be trying to get first. :)