Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Feud: A Text-Based Feudal Simulation Game  (Read 6702 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Feud: A Text-Based Feudal Simulation Game
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 08:10:45 am »

intermarriages happen fast at first, but each time they do, the remaining population gets slightly more resistant to the idea
Shouldn't that be the other way around?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 08:14:38 am »

That implies a modern western view of cultural mixing.

A large number of cultures were very strict about not marrying the wrong religion or ethnicity in the past. A 1% group might be drowned out because they have to assimilate but a 60/40 split should be maintained due to self-segregation. Also remember arranged marriages and needing approval. But it all depends on circumstance, so it would have to be modeled very carefully if it was to be at all realistic.

European Jews should have completely been absorbed by Europeans in general if the "creeping normality" idea applied here. It doesn't. They maintained 1.7% of the population as a culturally unique group for almost 2000 years. So it's not necessarily a simple thing where you can just say people are going to integrate, some will, some won't, and I'd argue that there's a core who never will. When the ones willing to intermarry do marry, the remaining group are the ones who tended to be more against it. So that would means there's some shift but people aren't magically going to all marry culturally-dissimilar types. That's just not historically accurate.

Possibly, groups in a simulation could be classed according to cultural similarity. More culturally similar groups would intermix much faster and have lower resistance than culturally dis-similar groups. With the Ireland example, the main barrier would have been religion. Protestant Irish do in fact see themselves as completely Irish, not as displaced English. Many of both religions would still be disgusted at the idea of their children marry one of "them", even in the modern day.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:28:14 am by Reelya »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 09:04:07 am »

European Jews should have completely been absorbed by Europeans in general if the "creeping normality" idea applied here. It doesn't. They maintained 1.7% of the population as a culturally unique group for almost 2000 years
That would be true, except Jews didn't used to marry gentiles, so there was no creeping. They do now so, if you care to make one of those ridiculous long bets, I would bet that by the year 2200 the percentage of "pure blood Jews" (clear line of bi-parental descendants from modern Jews) outside Israel will be below 0.1% (and I'd say 0.01%, but, you know, I want to be sure I win.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 09:32:10 am »

Sure, but I covered that in the " implies a modern western view of cultural mixing" thing I wrote at the start.

If you're in an area with lots of Israeli Jews and orthodox Jews things are pretty different / old-school. In a secular modern society you have many lapsed jews, the same as you have many lapsed christians. To them, culture splits along religious/ethnic lines make less sense. But that's a phenomena of living in a modern secular society. Arguably it's the culmination of the post-feudal rise of nation states and economic dominance of large cities, replacing the feudal ideals of god, king and country, in that order.

Also remember the context here. When talking about an equation to approximate population flows in a feudal society circa 1200AD, it's entirely irrelevant to hypothesize what society might be like by the time we have actual working Star Trek tricorders.

The metric for success here, if Addemup wanted to implement it, is that the model gives plausible population numbers for the medieval period, and it needs to be simple and general enough, so that it can avoid having to hard-code any details (e.g. Paradox games which would model the partition of Ireland as a scripted event, regardless of game history).

Talking about how modern or future society has or might change isn't in the spec.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:49:32 am by Reelya »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 09:57:19 am »

Also how many hardcore Jews do you know?
None1. Here's the thing though, my uncle in law is a "pure blood", all-Jew ancestors at least up to 19th century, and this is during the revolution, WWII, and soviet anti-semitism. He married a gentile (of, I should self-servingly say, good genetic stock) and all my cousins date outside the faith without a second thought. Which makes me think that the more people in your community intermarry, the more socially ok it is to intermarry.
That is of course anecdotal. Here's something that's a bit more official: according to a Pew-Gallup survey occurrences of Jewish intermarriage in the US (not the world, but still better then just 1 person) have been growing every decade since the 70s (the lower bound in the poll)

That being said, Israeli Jews are much more likely to keep marrying each other, I would not bet on them inter-marrying all that much.
(1) Thinking on it, I might know 1, but he's only hardcore in the sense of following the the requirements from the Torah (whatever they are called.) He dates outside the community, does not attend the official city temple and has on numerous occasions expressed  disdain of local clergy and "their petty internal politics".

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 10:58:49 am »

Cool idea. Do you plan to add any warfare mechanics or will it be purely political/economic?

As far as the whole intermarrying thing, the Jew example is more religious than cultural I think. People who identify as strictly Jewish and follow all the laws and rules are less likely to marry an unbeliever because of the implications of that (would you never see your spouse in heaven? would your kids be raised Jewish or whatever your partner is? would they make it to heaven? etc), whereas someone who is culturally a Jew has less of a barrier there. Less devout Jews (religion) have less of a problem with intermarriage with non-believers because in many cases they themselves don't really believe in the stuff. I've known people who call themselves Jews, go to temple, etc - then they're out partying on the sabbath and sleeping around and disagree with 99% of what their own faith teaches.

Same with Christian communities. The majority of mainstream "Christians" view it more as a social club than a religion, thus "Christian" intermarriage with non-believers is pretty common. But if you look into the more devout communities that actually believe the Bible you see far less intermarriage with non-Christians (in those cases most of the intermarriage with non-Christians are actually marriages between a devout Christian and a Christian in name only). Both Christian and Jew has become more of a label that people casually identify with than a belief system that they base their lives around.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Addemup

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McJudgemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 02:00:54 pm »

Cool idea. Do you plan to add any warfare mechanics or will it be purely political/economic?

Of course there will be warfare mechanics!

Version 0.0.7.1:
- Fixed Removed Serf Mechanic

Cancels Get a Life: Interrupted by the Internet

Addemup

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McJudgemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 04:42:16 pm »

Version 0.0.7.2:
- Fixed some bugs (unfortunately, I forgot the rest of the things I did)

Addemup

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McJudgemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2017, 04:15:54 pm »

Version 0.0.8:
- Cottars can now become serfs, and serfs can buy their freedom.
- Tallage now starts lowered as defualt

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2017, 12:11:10 am »

What all can you do in the current version?

So far all I see is you can build cottages collect peasants and pass time lol. Went through my first year and on into the second. Then hit a bug: my brother asks to knight me repeatedly every single day, and my land goes all over the place. I assume it was supposed to be adding land, but it's jumping between negative values and huge positive values and stuff.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Addemup

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McJudgemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2017, 05:21:19 pm »

Version 0.0.8.1:
- Knighthood is no longer repeatedly offered to you
Pages: 1 2 [3]